Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Up in smoke ~ Hot Rod burnouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 15, 2020.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I burned my lifetime allotment of rubber by the time I reached age 22.

wicarnut, fauj, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  2. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

When I hear light em up , this is what I do. Maybe not the same but it works for me. IMG_20141025_0001.jpg

3. G'day, I will never forget the time my dad was perusing our old track videos. He had just mentioned to my mom that the drag car needed new tires. After watching some of his burnouts (and he did outrageous burnouts) she said I can see why you need new tires. She was actually very understanding and purchased our last racing motor for my dad. That got a 3300# car into the 9's.

As far as a burnout on the street, just once. We had the drag car at a ot car show. They had us put our car away from everybody else like we were coronavirus carriers. But everybody went straight to our car when they got there and some had even seen us race. So when I pulled the car out to leave we got a ton of cheering so I did a burnout in front of the venue. It burned, I caught traction and picked up the front wheels on main drag. My dad said it was like click, the car was gone. Unlicensed totally illegal car so I drove 6 blocks and loaded it. Several cars with lights on the top of them drove by while I was loading. Oops.

fauj, woodsnwater, raven and 3 others like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

There may have been a few times when my foot may have slipped off the left side of the clutch pedal.
    There may have been a few time when I heard some tire squeal when shifting into 2nd gear (and maybe even 3rd gear).
    I'm pretty sure there isn't any picture evidence of me doing such things as they may have been happening (at least not in recent years). One reason being I really wouldn't have wanted any incriminating photos laying around, and 2ndly, it would have been pretty hard to be driving and taking pictures at the same time.
    When I was a younger man, I had a pretty big collection of broken parts. Now that I've grown more wise, I sure wouldn't abuse the rides as much as I did back then...If I did such things.....

I also have to admit to being a part of a car club that offered a burn out contest at our car shows for many years. I also have to admit to designing and building a burn out plate for another car show committee. The 2nd rendition of that burn out plate is still being used in our town's cruise night burn out contest!
    I figured if some guy wanted to show off and take a chance on damaging his car, I could at least provide him an opportunity to do so. The burnout contest is a great crowd builder, and at least doubled our car count (it was a charity event). Gene

fauj, raven, weps and 2 others like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When driving or riding in a car that we could call fast...
    Burnouts can be fun.
    But when you lose almost all traction from a dead stop, you sometimes don't have a sense that there's a lot going on except that the engine is screaming.

What I really like is when you do get good traction and the g-force pins you to the back of the seat.
    Woohoo!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chili Phil, fauj, raven and 2 others like this.
  6. 327Eric

327Eric

I have been known to mark my territory from time to time.

WC145, hotrodjack33, raven and 2 others like this.
  7. Fun thread Danny, I think most everyone on here is saying the samething. We don't like showing off in public, or those dumb contest. I also know that no one wants to break their Hot Rod. But all Hot Rodders do love more power, The feeling of their Rod leaping forwad, and yeah when the tires break traction in a little cloud of white smoke. If you have a light little Rod it's just gonna happen. When dateing my wife, she said she never passed gas. That was before we got married. lol It takes restraint not to bark the tires a little, and you may not call it a burnout. We don't always admit it. But it's what we do! My good friend Jerry Bower's bus. He hasn't grown up yet either.[​IMG]

raven, Deuces, wraymen and 5 others like this.
  8. Ron, damn if I would have told that! :eek: HRP

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron's wife never farted until after they were married.
    She was saving it all for him.
    Boom!
    Hahaha hahaha hahaha!!!!!!!!

So sorry Ron...
    Hahaha hahaha hahaha!!!!!!!!

Jeez you guys...
    I pop in to see what's going on, and I end up going back to work laughing my ass off with tears in my eyes.
    Makes my day. Thanks. LOL

raven, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I say if them farts ain't paying rent.....kick em out. Lippy

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Never hold in a fart! It travels up your spine and into your brain cavity. This is how shitty ideas are formed.

12. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Here ya go. Before we put it away with the old motor and street tires on the street to follow up my mistake for posting a burn out at a drag strip. My bad

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slayer, WC145, Ned Ludd and 5 others like this.
  13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its better to fart and bear the shame than not to fart and bear the pain !!

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When we were dating, Sandy told me her's smelled like flowers.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Bouncing those spinning tires through that pothole may not have been the best decision ......

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wild guess that is a wiring problem. :rolleyes:Bob

Deuces likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Burn outs? After I win the lottery and can afford to piss away tires I'll post some photos. Bob

bobss396, Deuces, Gammz and 1 other person like this.
  19. You guys laugh, but she still swears now that they don't stink. But I'll be the judge of that! She doesn't do the HAMB or other social media. So I'm hoping she doesn't find out. I was trying to make a point, as we all lie a little. A { STORY } While dating a girl in high school. I better hope she doesn't read the HAMB. lol Anyhow, I dropped this girl off at her house about 1:00 am. Gave her a good night kiss. But as I pull off, I popped the clutch on the Vette, and burned the tires in 1st gear. Then as I grabed 2nd I saw the town cop parked next to me on the same side of the street. I didn't even wait for him to pull his lights on. I pulled over into the union 76 service station. I got out with my drivers license, and waited for him to pull in behind me. As he got out I saw it was old Leonard. A very nice gentlemen who had retired, and was now working for the town P.D. It's a small town, and he knew me. He said Ron { WHAT THE H. WAS THAT !}I told him my clutch has been acting up, and I'd been meaning to fix it. He laughed and told me to get that taken care of, and let me go with a warning. A few days later I saw Leonard in the town's Virginia restaurant. He said Ron, have you fixed that Vette yet? I said NO, not yet. It still spins the wheels.lol He just laughed and shook his head. What a cool old guy. I haven't always been that lucky. Ron.....

Rickybop, fauj, Tickety Boo and 6 others like this.
  20. We used to light old tires on fire to start burn piles. Just about as exciting and way less wear and tear on the car.

The37Kid likes this.
  21. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

0BDAE0A2-5997-4E72-A3F7-FEB034F548DE.jpeg 92B9C7C8-6193-49D1-A2F8-957C9C0625DB.jpeg Build them,drive them,if they break,rebuild them!!!
    Drove all over Europe,hill climbed,dirt track oval raced,driven to the drags and ran a 13 sec 1/4 mile and also done the flying mile.had loads of fun and always put a smile on my face.

wicarnut, slayer, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  22. whipped cream burnout, or frosting burnout?
    hard for me to tell

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Or.... Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it.... :D:rolleyes:

arkiehotrods likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

But Bob, you’re going to have to finish a car first. :D

1934coupe likes this.
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You can always have a friend photoshop a burnout like I did when @drdave loaned me the wide whites off his Merc one year at the Stray Kat 500. (photoshop courtesy of @65fordguy) IMG_0528.JPG

slayer, Kelly Burns, fauj and 10 others like this.
  26. Yep the track is where it's at....too many young kids around here trying to be seen......one teen got run over after falling out of the car he was in last weekend - the thing is to sit on the window door frame with your butt and all - and wave at the crowd....he lost his grip....sad

Deuces likes this.
  27. Burnouts are immature, disrespectful, childish, and down right badass :D I'm willing to bet there's a few here that don't like the idea because there heap won't break em' loose :p why build a hot rod if you ain't gonna hot rod it?

28. old photo of my 33 with my grandfather behind the wheel during the oldie but goodies at woodburn dragstrip.
    33 drag.jpg

wicarnut, slayer, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

My roadster with the 283 in it would hardly chirp the tall skinny Firestones, that's why it's apart right now. My '56 will light 'em up and barks 2nd gear real nice too.

slayer, WC145, Deuces and 3 others like this.