Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 440 Distributor into 331/354 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by walt460, Jul 9, 2017.

1. walt460

walt460

I am sure this has been covered, but I need to make a 440 distributor fit into my 1953 331 Hemi.

Tommy Thompson used to sell an adapter that allowed you to use a 340 distributor into an early 331/354 Hemi. I still see his video from 4 years ago on you tube, but he does not show any contact info. Any one know if he is still selling the adapters?

Anyone know any other source for an adapter to make a 340 or 440 distributor the correct 4.25" length to fit into a 331/354?

Thanks,

Walt

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Check with 73RR here.......

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like "Steve" says, Hot Heads has the adapter (or did the last time I checked) but it will work only with the small block distributor. The big block Chrysler distributor turns the wrong way and won't work.

BTW, since he helped me out, he's just plain "Steve" to me.:)

Hnstray and 30dodgeboy like this.

4. walt460

walt460

Yeah, I know the 440 Distributor rotates the wrong direction (it goes counter clockwise, whereas the 331/354 go clockwise). So skip the 440, how do I lengthen and modify a 340 distributor to fit the 331/354?

5. walt460

walt460

So, Hot Heads only carries adapters to convert to GM distributors these days. But QEC sells a longer oil pump drive shaft for the 331/354 that lets you use a stock 318/340/360 distributor. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks to all!

Walt

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  6. The best distributor for this application that i have found is the msd ready to run distributor. they can be purchased through hot heads. As with any new distributor always confirm correct engagement with the intermediate shaft.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    stillrunners likes this.
  7. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Racer x is right in my opinion

8. Cuda66

Cuda66

The best distributor for this application that i have found is the msd ready to run distributor
    Should read:
    The worst distributor for this application that i have found is the msd ready to run distributor

So pron to failure and inconsistent timing numbers we won't even work on them, in this biz the last guy to work on it is expected to cover the warranty.... we have no interest in covering warranty for MSD parts all made in China or some in Mexico.
    Here's pic of the Ford Y-Block we build using the Pertronix 3/302 Ford Distributor and combining the shaft of the original old Y-Block shaft and gear with a press fit sleeve, cross drilled and roll pinned. Then we phase them and set the curve and vacuum advance with stops.
    Y-blockIg3-1.jpg
    We do the same for Hemi's, take one of our SB Block Billet distributors and extend the shaft to the correct legnth press fit and pin, curve and phase, set up vac can with stops.... job complete and done right, we then give our distributors a 5 Year Warranty.

Once completed we plug them into our HRR688 Control box with REV Limiter that we engineered in house and build 100% in America and it's the only ignition box you can buy with a 5 YEAR warranty... probably the last box you'll ever buy.
    [​IMG]

MOPAR Distributor shaft lengths
    Chrysler 331/354 Hemi – 4.25″
    Chrysler 392 Hemi – 4.5″

Dodge 241/260/270 Hemi – 3.875”
    Dodge 315/325 Hemi – 4.25″
    Desoto 276/291 Hemi – 4.00″

partsdawg likes this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For what it's worth, here i a Ford four cylinder (Pinto) that I modified to work with a MoPar drive. Also one that fits a Dodge Bros. (before MoPar) You could do the same if you have a latheto use. Note the added lower sections img122.JPG

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. VonWegener

VonWegener

I think the QEC solution of the longer oil pump drive and a stock 340 distributor is the best solution. An alternative woud be a stock rebuilt 331 hemi distributor from Napa. They might still have one new in a 40 year old box....

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was lucky and found an old Mallory "flattop" dual point on eBay. I went through it and it works great! I really like the looks as well. Add some Rajah plug ends along with some Packard 440 wire and I'm a happy camper. A stocker ain't bad either; remember, they're dual points from the factory.

13. town sedan

town sedan

Jim Linder -Bubbas Ignition- has had some very good things to say about the Mopar distributor, once it's gone through.

But, it's nice to have a new guy come on here and spam us with their first post. Oh well...,
    -Dave

270dodge likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It has often been said "there are no stupid questions"...but I need to test that theory.....

my question is....when using a 'distributor'...points style or Hall Effect...what does a control box do and why is it either desirable and/or needed? I think I understand that when using the Hall Effect style, that is used as a switch to remotely send current to the coil Primary circuit.....the control unit is like a relay in that sense and the Hall trigger signals it to operate....points could do the same thing. But it seems that the brand name boxes the big HP guys use must also serve another function as well.....what is that, or those, functions?

Ray

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  15. town sedan

town sedan

I've used a couple of Jacobs Electronics ignition boxes over the years on points style distributors. The box turns the points into a low voltage switch, this allows the points to last much longer than normal. And, if there's a problem with the box the points are still there to get you home. The rubbing block still gets worn down, but the points don't burn.
    -Dave

Hnstray likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

With the MSD box the spark plug will fire the spark plug 4 times.
    For the ready to run MSD distributor the best fix for them is to remove the internal module and wire it up to a 6A or 6al if you want a rev limiter.

robbins and Hnstray like this.
  17. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Hot heads sells a intermediate shaft to corrected length to use a small block Chrysler dist. For a 331 the hot heads number is 21936 that makes it a bolt in on the distributor is if you need to any small block Chrysler distributor will work with not modify.

18. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Does anyone have a good phone number for Jim at Bubba’s? Emailed but no reply and the phone number on his site is no longer valid.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. George

George

someone once posted that either the B or RB dizzy shaft, put in the Sb dizzy, is the right length but didn't post which one.

20. kjohnson

kjohnson

This is a very old post so sorry for bring up the dead but I have done this before on a 354 with a Mallory double life distributor. I used the Mallory yc 365 hp 440 distributor and got a Mallory yc 310g 350 distributor and pulled the shaft from the Chevy had the shaft cut down to match 440 length. Had a machine shop cut the slot in it and reassembled it in the 440 housing. Set the advance and it ran great plus the Mallory yc’s have a great advance system to them. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  21. robbins

robbins
    from Missouri

Cool stuff to know....didn't realize there were issues with them.

22. robbins

robbins
    from Missouri

http://www.hothemiheads.com/ignition_system/intermediate_shaft_360SB.html

They still have the SB Mopar set up.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Or you could get one of Spud Millers Vertex mags and put in it and be done. From what I recall An MSD is multi spark up to about 2500 rpm, then single spark on up the rpm scale. A mag gets hotter the faster you spin it. Old technology you say? Good enough for aircraft. Plus when the alternator goes to hell the mag will get you home. Lippy

24. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Definitely a mag.....

25. George

George

robbins likes this.
  26. 73RR

73RR

If the stock intermediate shaft isn't worn too badly then one could also just extend the distributor tang a wee bit (about .3" or so), but then a replacement would also need the same mod.

robbins likes this.
  27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I just checked on the big auction site, and there's an NOS early hemi distributor for $130. And it comes with a new cap, points and rotor.

Why adapt something else when you can get the correct part for a good price?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  28. robbins

robbins
    from Missouri

Wow....good to know.