Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. You shoulda been there too :(;)

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. Would have been cool but i don't see mine as a T Bucket, but a lot do. When i get it road legal i would most likely go. Are the Nationals going to be an annual thing ? JW

loudbang likes this.
  3. All T's welcome. At this stage two yearly so plan for 2022 Waitangi weekend in Christchurch again. Be there or be square! :):):D

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Refer to the others as T roadsters or T roadster pickups , then you'll fit right in !! Tbucket is a moniker , like jalopy or hotrod.....

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I can relate, there’s no way I’ll ever agree to my RPU being labeled a T Bucket.

I’ve even had it called a rat rod. :mad::D

A6B5C8C5-9D50-4AA0-937F-3A0EFF6F7E29.jpeg 059E4203-A3F5-46A7-835F-F8109916FFFD.jpeg 091130BC-DF43-455A-A041-5978DDB31686.jpeg

6. I get that a lot too, Larry, not all Hot Rods need to be all bling'd up.
    Graham, how did the car and trailer combo work out on the trip? JW

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I don’t know @Blue One that’s pretty damning evidence... FCBCC1F2-4B89-4EBA-A199-D03E9ED17C29.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  8. absolutely brilliant couldn't have been happier the way the combo worked IMG_1691.JPG

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That my friend is a bitchin little roadster pickup. Lippy:cool:

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  11. raven

raven

Blue One, aren’t you ever going to get doors on that? Every picture I see has them missing. I’m keep waiting for the grand finale to see it and in all it’s glory...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D
    Yes the doors will be going on :D
    I’ve been doing other things and I still need to finish sorting out the gas pedal and linkage now that I have the carbs balanced and tuned and it’s running great.

Leaning into the interior and accessing the gas pedal and anything else under the dash has been easier without the doors on.

I’ve got to set up a WOT stop to protect the direct linkage from damage at WOT.

Soon, patience :D

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

WOT stop, @raven and I usually call that the firewall but to each his own lol

raven, brEad, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

The Blue One doesn't 'do' basic and simple, he does elegant, finished and if possible polished and ribbed! :p

brEad, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  15. RodStRace

RodStRace

another ad - dig that it's a Dodge, and the price seems reasonable for running, driving project with a steel body and bed. Like both doors, too. $7500
    It will need some ugly rubbed off, but looks like it has potential. Wheelbase and rear wheels are funky, but with some work it could be fixed, then a bunch of paint and polish would make it presentable.
    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/chandler-dodge/7077133548.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Not a lot of room for your feet with that trans cover. I like it and with some period adjustments would be fine. you could only change the wheel base at the front unless you hack up that perfect T bed. JW

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and RodStRace like this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

26T, I agree that the tunnel appears to be big and the cowl narrow, but the angle seems to show a bit more room than normal with the brake pedal and the high beam switch over to the left. Maybe the brake is inline with the column...
    Since it's not channeled and the engine isn't right against the firewall, I'd guess the tunnel could be remade smaller, but all that requires a close inspection. At 6'4" (1.9m) I will need every bit of space used to maximum potential. The Dodge cowl looks like it's a bit wider at the bottom and sure is deeper than a typical glass '23.

The suicide mount and spring spacer would be on my must fix list. That should tuck the front axle back an inch or two. Enough that the front tires aren't completely forward of the radiator shell. That rad and shell looks like they could come forward maybe an inch to allow fan clearance and fix that "front end far forward" thing too.

I prefer the Fad T short beds, but this one is growing on me, and yours certainly has a longer bed. Since it's steel and actually has some space rather than filled completely with gas and battery, it's probably MUCH more useful. I could see spending the hours necessary out in the shop prepping this to get it all straight and in one color. I'd probably also have to do something about the back of the cab, even if it's just metal corner transitions. It must have been the front half of a Touring originally.
    [​IMG]

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

19. I agree totally. A matching year Dodge radiator surround would look better than the T item. It does look like the body is from a tourer (like a lot of T RPU's are) and would be easy to rework that and fab. the filler pieces that join the bed to body. JW

loudbang, RodStRace and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. My friend John's RPU from NJ. JW
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb, gonzo, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. loudbang, 40FORDPU, brEad and 2 others like this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

The shell is fairly close.
    The outside is similar, with the dodge having close to a single radius over the top, the Ford having sharper corners.
    The Dodge opening has rounded corners on top and the sides and bottom are thicker
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Hi, Glen, i did see it and i was the one that told him he has a 26 not a 27. The price was good for a steel car in NZ. JW

loudbang and KiwiGlen like this.
  24. A rear view of John's Dodge. He is about 6' 4'' tall and every year he drives a five day trip to Bonneville from New Jersey. JW
    [​IMG]

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

His looks like it is also a touring front half, judging from the length of the body behind the doors. See the pics previously posted.
    Of course, this could have been lengthened, or a NZ variation.
    Looks good and sounds like it fits him. Has he mentioned a difference in foot room in his compared to a Ford T?

I've reached out to the guy selling the Dodge, hoping he's interested in any of the stuff I have for trade. I don't have the cash to buy, heck I'm down to one running commuter right now with no heat and it's around freezing on the morning commute! This is NOT what I need right now, but I WANT one!

brEad, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  26. John is in New Jersey not New Zealand. Not sure of his foot room and i understand the want and need thing....you must get it, even to fix and move on. JW

loudbang and RodStRace like this.
  27. RodStRace

RodStRace

and another ad.
    Overall, a decent finished T that I'd change some stuff out on.
    It's priced lower than most for sale these days, $8700
    https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/carson-city-1923-ford-bucket/7082915233.html
    [​IMG]

Interesting Corvair steering box mounting, the front spring mount and spacer like the Dodge and the complete lack of gauges :eek: Guess you can smell when it gets hot and hear the lifters clack when the oil pressure gets low!

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any word from Fred lately?
    Calling @tfeverfred
    What have you been up to Fred?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    loudbang and RICH B like this.