Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do dislike about our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyding, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

If we could figure out a way to make things dustless I'd be thrilled. I really don't mind the stinky fluids. My girlfriend kinda likes it when I smell like "shop". The only other thing I don't like is overinflated egos, but you get that in fishing and sports, too. After all, we're just working on old cars. Some do better fabrication, others are better mechanics or painters. I don't claim to be the best at anything.

I love 99% of the people, time I spend building or chasing parts, and time I spend driving. But there's always going to be that 1% that sucks now and again, when you shake your head and cuss... Only to be back at it the next week!

Remember fellas, it's a hobby and it's supposed to be fun!

2. I hate that I can't make up my mind. I have eight engines for one project if that tells you anything...

3. jimpopper

jimpopper

All the old parts with Patina could be bought cheap for rebuilding your project until the R Rod guys showed up and wanted them just as they rotted and didn't care what it cost them.

4. Crap rods and the four T's like they are the holiest of holys..........traditional, tits, tikis and tattoos.......I buy a car magazine for car pics & info, not this T crap .......and threads asking what colour to paint my cars engine and fake or real patina..........shit...........lol..........andyd

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. Local hotrod historians. Had some recognize the bobbed rear fenders on my car and informed me I had ruined Tom, Dick or Harrys car. That the car was a legend around these parts and should have been preserved and left alone. They got a little bent out of shape when I informed them that this 'legend' was the biggest piece of shit I'd ever had to start with. That in my view, Tom, Dick or Harry should have taken a welding class, and maybe asked somebody about how suspension and steering are supposed to work to make a car road worthy. They stayed bent when I told them how I had to rebuild the frame, complete with boxing plates, mounts and gussets to keep it from twisting, and popping the doors open. Or how I had to completely re-engineer the brakes and steering so it would go where it was pointed, and stop when I wanted it to, not when it maybe decided to. Or that ten leaves on the front spring might have been a bit much, but I could see the thinking(or lack of) since the rear had thirteen. I told the 'historians' that the only good part about this 'legend' when I got it was the engine knocked so bad that I couldn't drive it far enough to get into any real trouble. I did tell them as they walked away that when I got around to the body, they could pick up the bobbed fenders. I never liked that look anyway.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Experts ,especially the magazine educated.......and the ones who call a 55 dodge 4-door , and similar cars, a hotrod.......that anyone , prior to 1965, looked at an automatic transmission as something other than something that needed changing ....

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  7. G'day, I guess I joined here in 2009 and then had a couple of strokes. I just came back in the last couple of months. One of the major things I dislike about the hobby is I can no longer work under a car. Because of the last stroke I cannot lie on my back on a creeper and my eyes won't focus. Not even with the stupid trifocals I have to wear now. If I do lie on my back I will soon be projectile vomiting and could probably knock a spider off the wall.

Anyway, I do have to admit that I am a hoarder and have a rather large stash of Chevrolet engines and drivetrain parts. I have started clearing it out so my wife doesn't have to deal with it. The thing I absolutely hate about our hobby is the fact that here are people who will not pay even fair prices for parts. And I am too trusting. I have managed to basically give away some of my stuff. One fellow was nice enough to take 14 Muncie 4 speeds and a couple of totes of NOS parts for them. Another guy took all of my rust free 55-56 Chevy sheet metal. I haven't been paid.

So anyway, rather than leave the mess for my wife, this coming summer several loads of parts will be going in for scrap. There are some parts I will keep but just what I need to finish projects. I do love the losers that offer your "scrap price" for a complete 283 or 327 when they find out you are cleaning up.

8. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

You know those little, tiny, STINGING cuts we get, but don't discover until the next day?

The ones that just SCREAM every time you wash your hands, or put them in your pockets? Or the wind blows on 'em?

Yeah, those.

impala4speed and trollst like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lacquer thinner finds them quickly, been there done that. Bob

davidvillajr likes this.
  10. OldsteelSteve

OldsteelSteve

11. impala4speed

impala4speed

Now that's funny.
    You were joking, right?

12. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

13. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At a local show I was checking out a 31 Ford sedan and started up a conversation with the owner. I asked him about his steering set up and the first answer was I did not build the car! I just check the fluids and I have driven it across from coast to coast 2 times. This was 1986.
    I have too many projects and I sold off a couple given away a few traded some. I enjoy everything about old cars even the jerks. My last car on the road I would go to shows and park outside so as not to offend any one. It was a Drag Car from the 1960's (high wide & handsome) that I changed into a Hot Rod 350/350 I just never needed any opinions. If I like some part of how something was done I will ask and listen.
    My favorite part is working on them and I am on my 33 coupe just found a 1957 392 so I will be hard at making one of favorites. I have a son that is into early Hot Rods so I don't worry about the cars going to scrap. If it gets finished it will stay brown primer while I decide if it needs paint.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Oh Hell No !

15. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Been working on all things mechanical since I was 8yrs old, now 72 years young and still hot rodding. It is how I decompress. I get irritated when I seen people posting all sorts of reasons why something will not work, or asking what to fix, instead of getting up and go try it. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that will never work and whatta ya know...it did work. Early on we didn't have a ton of money or Ebay, we went to the junk yard and figured it out. I dropped out of car clubs because 99% of the time, we sat around talking instead of working or driving.

OLSKOOL57 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  16. Well although we are enjoying the highlight of the hobby it will slowly fade . I don't like to dwell on it as it has been a debated topic over and over again. I don't like that it may someday be something one reads about in history. Lately I don't like that I have collected a little corral of cars that I dreamed of finishing . In reality it will not happen , maybe a few at my age. Hopefully there are enthusiastic builders out there that will carry on our dreams and keep the hobby alive. For now I will keep at it and enjoy the cars , people and quality time I get with the hobby.

17. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Long red lights.

raven likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

HAMB certainly has a good quality in setting limits on what can be placed on the website. The word traditional is spelled out clear as day. That is a good thing. The advent of various eras of hot rodding should be talked about, but keeping it under the rules set forth here on the HAMB. The cut off of 1965 is good as many changes took place after 1965. The ordinary hot rod guy/girl was being shoved out of drag racing classes, the designs were altered to increase income and fan appeal for those associations, and the hot rod building world began to experiment with high dollar make overs and custom builds.

For a timely period and is still going on today, high dollar builds are on one side of the building scene, whereas the backyard garage guys/girls are pretty much doing their own thing. They are both part of hot rod building, but the high dollar builds called street rods started in the mid 70s and have expanded to this day. Trends come and go, whereas, the traditional look of a full fendered 5 window 34 coupe hits all the bells for most.

We all have our ideas about what we would like to build. The HAMB seems to hit the spot as it still involves backyard garage people that build what they like, in the style they like and are not swayed by the latest 20 inch CNC wheels on a roadster. That division does separate groups, but, it is still hot rodding and should be accepted for what it is in this day of modern hot rods. One side is doing their own thing. We just don’t need to see those hot rods on the HAMB.

Jnaki

It is like building a Craftsman House or Mid Century Modern home versus the extreme looking, bare walls, glass and concrete, super modern home. Everyone has their own style and design that fits their needs. One is not better than the other and that is how it should be in the hot rod world.

Despite the criticism of the high end builds of the latest GNRS, they are still hot rods. They may not be driven daily to Ralph’s or Albertson’s or left outside of an industrial building during the day, like a lot of daily drivers. They are probably not daily drivers that we all know and see. But, they are quality builds and are hot rods…just a different name and designation. But the HAMB is for 1965 hot rods and drag racing vehicles as the rules apply.

19. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

What do I dislike about our hobby?.......That the whole dang thing is cancelled right now do to corona virus! It's not even May yet, and I'm having car show and swap meet withdrawal! :(

20. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Wide tires with no traction.
    (Translates to "1/2 spoon pedal travel")

21. trollst

trollst

The proliferation (big word) of rat rods in our hobby, is lowering the standards set by guys building good, safe at any speed cars. Right now I'm wiring an absolute fucking pile of shit the owner-builder is very proud of, but I won't even drive it around my own yard. I built his last car, beautiful and safe underneath, ratty looking on the outside, but I see dangerous shit on the road in the name of coolness and it eats my butt.

22. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

"Cool" - "Not easily angered or upset."

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. At present the only thing I dislike about our hobby are the parents who allow their children to use our cars as jungle gyms.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  24. lostmind

lostmind

Mostly I dislike the trend where every car has to be an " investment" .
    I never met a golfer that expected to make money when he was done with his clubs and get all his green fees back.
    Guys spend $40K on a new truck and get back $10K on a trade in.

impala4speed and trollst like this.