Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘46 Ford coupe transmission/torque tube questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftiescat, Feb 16, 2020.

1. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

The winter project plan this year was to pull the column shift 3 speed and replace with a ‘39 style gearbox. Despite the transmission being rebuilt 7 years ago (prior to me owning the car), it’s absolutely shot. 1st/reverse missing teeth, cluster gear chipped, and there’s about 3/8 of an inch of endplay in the main shaft and cluster.

Last week I had noticed when I had rolled the torque tube/rear from the vehicle that the driveshaft was stuck in the universal joint. Are these driveshafts meant to be secured at the rear or is it normal to have this happen? I removed the shaft from the universal, slid it back into the rear and all seemed ok but I wanted to be sure before I put all this back together.

Also:

-What are you guys running as far as far as gear oil? I know a lot of guys are using Miller’s GL1 but a lot of people say any GL4 oil is also okay.
    -Anyone using Bob Drake repop universal joints? I usually stay away from this kinda stuff in such critical areas. That’s what has been in the car for the last 7 years and seems okay.

Thanks!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. flatford39

flatford39

My guess is, is that's a bolt in. The dive shaft is held in place at the pinion by a couple of rivets and should come out with the rear end.

hope the pictures of those gears aren't your restored 39 box!!!

fiftiescat likes this.
  3. There is a coupler that connects the drive shaft to the pinion. The coupler is held on to the drive shaft and to the pinion with a pin. One or both of these pins have probably sheared and need to be replaced.

fiftiescat likes this.
  4. There's been some discussion on the Fordbarn regarding the Drake u-joints; you might do a search on that board. If memory serves me correctly the front half of the u-joint that attaches to the main shaft may be too short allowing too much end-play in the main shaft. It would be worth checking out...

5. My ‘47 slid out of the u joint pretty nicely, I believe there’s a pin holding shaft to the rear. Also I would try to find a good used one, go to Vanpelt’s website. I also have been using GL-1 from Napa 65-201.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    fiftiescat likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

usually if its shearing the pin its because the splines on either the shaft or the coupler are worn. when you slide the coupler on there should be no slop there, the pin is not going to last if the splines are loose

fiftiescat likes this.
  7. topher5150

topher5150

fiftiescat likes this.
  8. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Thankfully those gears are the old transmission! Every other time I’ve pulled a closed drive rear the driveshaft cane out with it... it figures when I pull the rear on my car something is broken

9. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I’ll take a look. I’ll most likely also get a NOS one or rebuilt etc. from Van Pelt. I hate doing things twice. Thanks for the tip!

10. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Thanks for the info fellas. Asking questions and picking brains is way better than learning the hard way! Any more info is much appreciated!

11. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

12. deucemac

deucemac

If I remember correctly, the output shaft on the trans is drilled and tapped which allows a bolt and thick washer to hold the u-joint to the shaft. I would check both the output shaft and the drive shaft coupler.