Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You would do better to copy, Dean Lowe, or Jim Stevens, then you won't have a "copy of a copy" !

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back on Black today. I hated to massacre that original firewall, but time is important, and I wanted the maximum engine setback, with a flat firewall.Next will come the transmission C/M, with a removable center to remove the trans, that will come tomorrow. IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4085.JPG IMG_4086.JPG IMG_4087.JPG IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4098.JPG IMG_4099.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I made a minor adjustment to the angle of the engine, lowering the rear, to compensate for the carbs on the street engine. Laid out a template for the flanges on the trans mount, IMG_4103.JPG IMG_4105.JPG IMG_4106.JPG

4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Really enjoy this project so far. My favorite era of drag racing. Marty you seem to be going 24/7 on numerous projects at the same time. What kind of COFFEE do you drink cause I need to switch brands! lol Enjoy following your builds. Always inspiring . Larry

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Those two piece ‘28-29 firewalls are a pain to fit a distributor or mag in, aren’t they? I just went through that with my roadster, I’m using an NOS W&H DuCoil. It’s a large diameter and you’ve gotta pull em way up to get it out of the block.
    Love that cross-ram! Looking great so far.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, lumpy 63 and loudbang like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, I don't drink coffee at all, so I can't help you with that. At my age, I need to get these projects done, while I can enjoy them. Thanks for your interest ! BTW, I am fitting my '40 PU chassis for a rear stabilizer bar and shocks, before taking taking it apart for powder IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4077.JPG coating.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, my plan is to build the lower half of the firewall out of .063 aluminum, along with the tunnel. Dean, had this shot of his, showing the height of the cutout required to pull the mag. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. A friend gave me the Weiand cross ram, going to use 390 Holleys. Dean Lowe firewall.jpg

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

No cup holders? Lol

loudbang likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just loving the 'skipping around' on projects, Marty! My shop dilemma is much the same, but health has slowed me down some.
    The frame fab is great, I like the front tube treatment in the side rails. Box-like fitting of rear cross member, likewise. Goes together like an expensive jigsaw puzzle...

R/PU engine mounts are like art, subtly curved gussets all work into the final form.
    Really catch the eye.
    Firewall is a similar situation I'm having with my '27 T tub. Aluminum or modify the orig.? Thinking about trimming the original around its perimeter, (to retain the rear hood rest) and making a recessed aluminum flat that sits on 1/2" inner perimeter flange...screwed down, natch.
    Typically Marty Strode, always coaxes me in, to see what's... Thanks!

chryslerfan55, dwollam, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Last thing I want to do is get you off track Marty.......but is that a Corvair with a big motor where the back seat should be......parked next to your RPU project ??

bchctybob, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I would like to take credit for the frame and motor mounts, but they are a mass produced item, from the rear section forward. The trans mount would have been completed today except for time to pick up some yard art. I did get get the flanges for the C/M drilled, band sawed, and ground. Take care of your self, and stay at those projects ! IMG_4107.JPG IMG_4108.JPG IMG_4109.JPG IMG_4115.JPG IMG_4110.JPG IMG_4113.JPG

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yes, it's a 1965, but an off topic build.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Got the trans C/M and mount fabbed and tacked in place. It was a long process, because I wanted the center to drop out, for repairs at the track. After sizing up the width and drop of the C/M, I made a full scale 1/2 drawing to calculate the bends required. I always work off of where the bend starts, and using cardboard templates of the specific tube diameter, and bending dies I have available, to make the layout. After figuring where the flanges needed to be, I cut the center out. With the flange thickness at 5/16"x 2= 5/8", that is how much the side tubes needed to be shortened to maintain the profile. Install is next. IMG_4118.JPG IMG_4119.JPG IMG_4122.JPG IMG_4123.JPG IMG_4125.JPG IMG_4127.JPG IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4132.JPG

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

With the side tubes trimmed at the proper angle, cutting out and bending the mounting plate was next. With it tacked in place, after a good look, it will be welded in. The next thing will be pulling it from the chassis jig, and putting it on wheels next week. Then the fun begins !!!!! IMG_4133.JPG IMG_4135.JPG IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4140.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4143.JPG

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Got the chassis welded up (with the exception of the rear section) pulled it from the jig and swapped places with the Track Roadster. It will be a roller in a couple days. IMG_4149.JPG IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4161.JPG IMG_4162.JPG

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Scott Marty! You got skills.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Billy, it's been a long day !

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Wow, you have gotten more done in the last two months than I have in the last four years. And what you have gotten done is impressive!

bchctybob, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Man oh man, just knocking it out. Crossmember came out great.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, It will be triangulated fore and aft and tied into the ladder bar C/M. When I drop the clutch @ 7,000 I don't want any flex !

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I dug out some suspension parts. IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4164.JPG

22. Love the hair pins Marty. They look just like Kurtis did them. You do 'em right my friend!

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I bought those hairpins. I wanted a dropped tube axle like yours, and a buddy gave me this one, it's never been used. The plan is to cut the brackets off, and fab my own hairpins and spring hangers. Do you have any pictures showing the axle under yours ? IMG_4166.JPG

24. This is the best I can find Marty. Since the axle was built for a Kurtis sprint car, it has a dead perch on the left side. The drop and shape is very much like the one you posted. The bat wings are similar, but not exactly the same. Spindles are 39 Ford. Hope this is some help.

[​IMG]

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Dean, Keith Randol put a dead perch on the Orange Crate when he built it, about the same time Frank did yours. Looks like the tube axle I have, is very similar to yours, that's what I will use.

26. Here's a another picture of Dean's axle, where you can see the dead perch. I came across this in an old magazine I just got.
    dean axle (Medium).jpeg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Rich, that helps.

28. Don't even remember where that was taken.

bchctybob, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was a thrash, but I got the rear axle in place and on wheels today, had to get the starter rebuilt on the fork lift to get the QC off the wall. IMG_4214.JPG IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4217.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  30. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That QC looks good back there, Marty. I was hoping you would show us how the axle housings (trumpets) were modified to maintain the right spring perch width and how the ends were adapted for the Wide 5 snouts.

dwollam, Stogy and loudbang like this.