Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. For future reference, the lock pin holes in the axle are not tapered.

Nailhead A-V8 and loudbang like this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Yes, I was about to say that. I can also confirm they are not tapered. You can clean them out with a drill. It's a standard size. Don't quote me, but I seem to remember it might be 9/16". Please check before putting a drill through.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 9/16" hole.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks fellas! I was hoping to get some clarification on that....I didn't want to go wailing them into place, or drilling. These things didn't even TRY to go in the other way, so just to be on the safe side, I flipped the axle. But, like I said, it gives me the opportunity to repaint the spindles and perches for some contrast. You guys are the best!!

Tim and loudbang like this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

This is unacceptable! It should be stated on the listing it will take this long to ship!!
    upload_2020-2-15_15-9-21.png

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Well that sucks bigtime. :(

1947knuck likes this.
  7. Time to start calling all the early Ford parts dealers; usually can find one with stock. I'd try Third Gen Automotive first.

8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes it does!.....Thanks LB.....

loudbang likes this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

Tomorrow morning Rich! Thanks for the contact!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Laid the cowl in position today to check clearances, nothing too bad that can’t be remedied. I will be eliminating the angled bracket from my pedal assembly and making my own shaft and mounting box that will allow me to mount a more modern master cylinder and eliminate conflict with the shift linkage.....I took a couple pics to stare at, but I already have a basic idea in my head allowing me to proceed. The column drop did line right up! We shall see....input appreciated.....thanks fellas!! IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1782.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Made the shaft for brake and clutch pedals. I’m gonna make a bracket and weld it cantilevered between the pivot shaft and a mount for the master cylinder, if that makes sense. Then secure it to the chassis and cross member and trans mounts. You’ll get the picture when it’s done....I can see it in my head! Too bad you can’t take a snapshot of those images in your head.... Thanks for checkin’ in fellas! IMG_1784.JPG IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1787.JPG IMG_1788.JPG IMG_1789.JPG

kiwijeff, brEad, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

I for one am glad nobody, especially women, can't take snapshots of those images in your head :cool:

1947knuck, brady1929 and Piewagn like this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

God only knows what's in there! :D:D

loudbang and brady1929 like this.
  14. chev34ute

chev34ute

0F289A54-CD9F-436F-9C8F-E47E007763B5.jpeg
    You can pick these up through your local hardware store as aluminium T strips. They will need dressing on the edges to remove the sharp edges and notching to the right diameter. This is what they looked like on the coupe of a local rodder last year.

0F289A54-CD9F-436F-9C8F-E47E007763B5.jpeg

15. AmishMike

AmishMike

Aluminum strips between steel panels does not seem like a good plan to me. Believe combination causes galvanic corrosion. Would expect it to mess up paint job. Not sure how long that would take.

Tim likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

I'll be looking onto this! Thanks for the input.....much appreciated!!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

I does seem like dissimilar metals could be an issue, especially with a bad body-chassis ground. Snyders does sell the aluminum "T bars", but they're quite pricey...Thanks for the input!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Made my master cylinder bracket today! It’s just tacked for now. I need to figure how I’m gonna mount it and keep it serviceable. Should be no biggie taking some measurements and making another bracket. After I figure that out, I’ll finish welding, break the edges and tidy everything up.....happy weekend fellas!!!! IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1793.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1801.JPG

19. Piewagn

Piewagn

I did get my ball studs!! Now I can move forward with the front suspension and steering......Thanks Rich!!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Piewagn

Piewagn

I'm quite sure some of you have had that moment when you went "oh s***!" Well, I have to cut the tack welds off of the master cyl bracket because I'm a jackass and remembered......I need to cut the grooves for the snap rings in the brake/clutch pedal shaft! Geezus I hate making more work for myself!

Mart and loudbang like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Took some time today to dismantle brake assembly and cut the snap ring grooves....came out nice....movin’ on! Thanks for poppin’ in fellas! IMG_1803.JPG

22. Mart

Mart

23. koolbeans

koolbeans

Gosh, you certainly can't be lonely with the rest of us riding "the bus"...no

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

I hate being a "frequent" rider on the bus!! :D:D

loudbang likes this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Mart!
    You know.....I'll be revisiting that steering box AGAIN! I have to go up and forward a wee bit more to gain clearance for the brake pedal and shift levers......good thing it's only tacked in place.....right? ;)

loudbang likes this.
  26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Huge hurdle tonight! This area had me highly discouraged and quite frankly close to bagging it.....at least until I saved funds to buy a different trans and steering column, or buy the Kingshifter and clear my head. I’ve remedied my issues with clearance for shift linkage, brake pedal and even got my steering box in a location where the pitman arm is close to factory location. I modified the brake pedal, moved steering box up and forward and now have my location for master cylinder. Clutch linkage is a breeze at this point. I need to tidy up the brake pedal arm, it looked way better before I hit it with grinder to knock down some welds. I’m there fellas! It’s gravy from here.....WOO HOO!!! Thanks for stoppin’ by! IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1838.JPG

Tim, brEad, So Cal Brian B and 3 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

3 on the tree gonna work LOL :)

1947knuck likes this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Tacked in place.....needs some tweeking, but this is basic location.I still have to install the wedge in the steering box mount, which will bring the column over some of course. Things can get a little rough when you’re doin’ this by yourself.....I ALWAYS need a second set of hands.....thanks for poppin’ in fellas! Adjustments.JPG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    brEad, loudbang and waxhead like this.
  29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes Sir!!! Thanks LB!!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Mart

Mart

Just shows that you need to just have everything tacked. You might have to go through several iterations before you hit that combo that works.
    Keep up the good work.
    Mart.

loudbang likes this.