Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Detailers with no silicon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas57, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Haha...I almost titled this "how do I clean my car". A two part question............Are there any detailers available that do not have silicons in them. In the past, most of the time, I'd just dust my car with a California duster and finish with Meguires detailer. I now know the detailer is leaving a silicon residue so I have stopped using it in light of a possible repaint coming up in the near future.
    Second part of the question is how to remove that silicon. Wax and grease remover doesn't. I talked to a ppg rep about it once, and he suggested a bucket of hot water with Dawn dishwashing detergent. He said to do a few square feet at a time, scrubbing briskly, and to dry it off with a handful of paper towels. He cautioned about not reusing the towels after the few square feet.
    Any better ideas out there?
    BTW, anybody got a link to that thread 3 or 4 years ago where the poor soul asked how to clean his barn find? I need a good laugh.

2. Bugguts

Bugguts

I’ve never heard, grease and wax remover, will not remove silicone. It’s what we all use in body shops, and I’ve never had a problem when using it correctly.
    You must use 2 rags. 1 soaking wet to saturate a smallish area, and the other dry to immediately wipe it dry. Using only 1 rat will just punch the contaminates around and not remove them.
    This must be done before any sanding is done or the wax will be sanded into the finish.

Texas57 likes this.
  3. That was the Famous 3W Larry

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

There used to be a product called Polycracker or something like that, it was specifically for removing for removeing silicon.....

Texas57 likes this.

5. unfinished

unfinished

Several years ago my paint rep got me to using Comet and a scotch brite pad as my first step of cleaning/prep prior to paint. Have not had a fisheye since. I have even used it on the metal dashes of early trucks and not had a fisheye. Maybe I have just been lucky!.....or possibly my eyesight is beginning to fail and I cannot see the fisheyes....

6. One of several brands of the wax and grease removers I have says it will remove silicon, but I've read so many posts about anything with silicons not even allowed in or near body shops puts a lot of doubt in my mind about whether or not it can. Some of the Meguire's buffing compounds I use specifically state "paint shop friendly", most do not....kinda reinforces my thinking.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think you're over thinking it. Before you paint you're going to prep the surface, and in the process any silicon that remains in the paint now will be removed. Go ahead and use the Meguiars, if that's what works for you.

Texas57 likes this.
  8. 8flat

8flat

We did the same, comet and a scotch brite pad work great for cleaning a car before paint prep.
    Although to the OP's point, silicon could get down into the crevasses, jambs, etc and possibly cause a problem but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only time this really caused me any troubles in the booth was a car that had a stupid amount of some weird wax a guy had been using on a '70 monte carlo I painted, that was very hard to get cleaned up. I wouldn't worry about Meguires too much. I used to use their hand glaze, good stuff.
    We were a sikkens shop, and their wax and grease remove is a great product. Most are, though.

Texas57 likes this.
  9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Texas57 likes this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

I think the tire dressings are the worst offenders!:eek:

unfinished likes this.
  11. KenC

KenC

silicon isn't much of a problem, except for lung issues if you breathe it while sandblasting. Silicone on the other hand causes fisheyes. Smartass answer out of the way, normal, conscientious paint prep should remove any silicone contamination.

Texas57 likes this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Contact / call this company below and ask for Dean, who is the owner.

Tell him one on the local car guys there recommended you call him.

He is a chemist and can most likely disccus your silicone questions / challenges as well as advise you on products to use.

https://ppcbest.com/

He formulated all his products and they work very well to all my needs.

Texas57 likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey T,

I have used Blue Dawn on a lot of things. It is one powerful liquid and it will surprise you as to how well it does all sorts of cleaning. Cars, motorcycles, smooth garage floors, and fiberglass surfaces of sailboats are/were the primary usage. It is strong, so a diluted solution is preferred. Now, the funny thing is, our long time plumber over the last 18 years has recommended a Blue Dawn squirt at full strength in old toilets and to upkeep the new Toto Toilet surfaces. It does a wonderful job without staining anything. (not like those blue tablets)

But, on the day we were ready to put on a Colonite Wax detail job on our old sailboat, we gave the whole fiberglass gel coat a cleaning with a Blue Dawn solution on a very mild surface mop. It left no scratches and was ready to apply the Colonite Wax. Colonite Wax was the longest lasting wax coating we have ever used on cars or boats.

Being outside in the harbor, docked all year is a very harsh environment. With everything attacking it all day and night is is a great test bed for all things. But, after the prep, the Colonite Wax that was applied stayed good for 6-7 months. Of course, we hosed the boat surface off, every time we were finished with our hours on the salt water and dried with a soft cloth.
    upload_2020-2-14_8-50-30.png since 1936
    Our daily driver cars have been coated with the same process and that Colonite Wax detail is lasting forever. Mainly because both cars are always garaged and in shaded parking lots when we go shopping.

Jnaki

Of course, your choice and method will vary with what you use. Colonite has been around for ages and does not get the big name advertisement as Meguiar’s, Mother’s or other big names. But, it does work and works better than those big time hot rod company products.
    upload_2020-2-14_8-51-15.png It almost stays a great looking surface that we tend to forget how long it has lasted.

Texas57 likes this.
  14. Sounds like I was overthinking it as mentioned. I've got a few small spots with paint separation/bubbling after a repaint I think were caused by the silicone residue.......all are in "corners". Probably my very very thorough cleaning was just not thorough enough! I've always done multiple cleanings with wax and grease remover as well as water-based cleaners.
    The replies are all appreciated..thanks!, and thanks for the link, Joe. What part of Colorado?
    Rich

15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Hey Rich,
    I live in the Wet Mountain Valley outside of Westcliffe.

16. After living in Colorado for 23 years, I just found that area a few years ago looking for someMtn pass road trips for my '57. Been back thru there 3 or 4 times now. Absolutely beautiful country. I usaually start on hwy 12(?) out of Trinidad and wind my way up.

17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

You bet, come up and drive that route at the end of Sept./first of Oct. - when the aspens turn. It'll knock your socks off!