Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Leap of faith

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trikejunkie, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Okie Joe is a no worries very simple swap. You should not have any problems at all with this swap.

woody45, trikejunkie and loudbang like this.
  2. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Simple question -is there a "safe way" to mount model A wire wheels to juice brake drums? I got my axle the other day and am prepping for a Xmas hols removal/install but noticed the wheel fitting looked a bit sketchy-there is no real location for the wheel apart from the studs.Is there a plate or some other method that I am missing?

loudbang likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need a set of the same support rings that are used for 35 wires on later hydraulic brake drums. Check this for the explanation. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/keeping-wire-wheels-on-a.991642/
    You should be able to find those rings from a Ford parts supplier in UK or maybe Sweden or other European country where old Fords are popular. That might save time having them shipped from the states.

loudbang, trikejunkie and Stogy like this.
  4. 35cab

35cab

Great looking car, Redoxide (Big Ian) is your man for info on some of the above, he is up to his neck in Model As and as he says knows of so many getting built, not sure where you live but he is in Angus, a great guy and a wealth of hands on knowledge. (You may already know him, it is a small country Scotland!)

loudbang, trikejunkie and Stogy like this.
  5. great thinks went well on the transision to your shores....and nice it will progress to roads driven !

loudbang likes this.
  6. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Update on my progress for folk - never got close to the car at Xmas time ( new kitchen needed fitting in ) so still on a parts collection phase,I have 2 Kelsey Hayes 16" bent spoke wheels to compliment the two I already have and I have managed to secure a 32-34 rear axle from a member on here ( cheers Carl) can anyone offer me advice on what I may need to upgrade on it to handle the massive horsepower(joking) of my 327 -I will obviously strip and check the axle /renew the bearings etc.

Hombre likes this.
  7. redoxide

redoxide

Ref your rear axle, what gearbox are you thinking or running with the 327 ?

The 32/34 rear end might be a non starter. couple of reasons and stuff you might not be familiar with.

The 32 /34 are mechanical brakes, the spring mounts behind the axle, if its a 4 cylinder axle the pinion support is not as beefy as the V8 , Its slightly more complicated to convert it to open drive ..

None of the above are reasons not to use it though. but if your looking for less hassle and want the early banjo look, then consider a 40 rear end. It will accept the wires, has hydraulic brakes, and is readily served with open drive conversion kits ..

Get a decent set of gears , fit new pinion bearings, get the bearing surfaces on the axle ends turned and sleeved, they are usually pitted and rusty. Including a brake rebuild that little lot will cost in the region of £1200 and your still relying on a keyway to keep the wheels turning.. Add in a little more wedge and convert the banjo to late ford bearings and shafts.. It gets expensive this early ford stuff :)

or you could fit a late axle, 10 bolt or 8 inch and rag it to your hearts content .. :) you would need adapters to run/ support the wires though .

loudbang and woody45 like this.
  8. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

What he said.....no worries with Okie Joe 4" drop.

loudbang likes this.
  9. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Hi Redoxide ,I am going to run a Muncie M21 gearbox as I have one, with all the bits to fit the 327. The axle looks to me to be a V8 axle (it has the squiggly flange!) -working out an open drive conversion should be possible as I am sure it has been done before.I have a set of hydraulic brakes to fit on the axle( I know about running supports for the wheels).The machining /sleeving is well within my capabilities so no worries there ,converting either my chassis to run a spring behind the axle or converting the axle to run a spring on top shouldn`t be too difficult (once I know how to do it).My main concern was if the axle would be up to the 327 power.We do know each other from way back in the past-I was the guy that used to turn up to our local shows back in the 80`s/90`s on a chopper of some sort -I live just down the road from Mr Three Fingers so you can see that running a late axle didn`t even cross my mind when it came to building my A !

10. redoxide

redoxide

You didnt live in Dundee for a bit did you .. ? Fella I knew used to have a flip front anglia and later got into chops , I remember being sat on a tiny pad mounted on the fender as he took off at speed .. No idea how I stayed on .. that wasnt you was it lol.. That was in the early 80s .. I think we called him "steeker" if my memory serves me right, but probably not, could be confused with a bloke that was into chopping scooters lol..

Sounds like a V8 rear you have . Open drives are obtainable from speedway motors, bolt on job. :)

you will need to add a torque bar of sorts to stop the axle trying to rotate itself out of the wishbones . through time they tend to crack but it is avoidable .

I think extending the frame is the quickest method, and run the spring behind, you benefit from an instant drop of around 4 inches . The chassis needs to be extended by 7 1/2 inches . If you dont want to cut the frame there are other ways to do it but they kinda look a bit agricultural.

If you want to keep it spring over you can pare down some mounts from the model A rear end and bolt them to the replacement axle or male a pair which would be quicker that cutting them off a donor axle and cleaning them up..

The rear end should be fine providing you stick to soft launches on dry roads lol.. a 327 is a decent improvement over an old flathead ..

Im soon to be removing a 10 bolt from my buddys 30 coupe . hes been running a 401 nailhead for a few years, its the only bit he hasnt broken, but hes swapping it out for a winters QC .. The 10 bolt will be for sale at some point in the near future .. open drive and bracketed up for spring behind and hairpin ..

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  11. redoxide

redoxide

Your welcome to have a garage tour up here, A few model As being built . If you know Jamie and Raymond youll have a good source of info and help. Pretty sure you will now Trevor , plenty good folk in your neck of the woods . :)

loudbang likes this.
  12. Some inspiration: Don Dillard's [DRD here on the HAMB] 30 coupe. dondillardsAonsalt.jpg

loudbang and trikejunkie like this.
  13. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I live in Kincardine , nearly always have done-had a Salt Flats style pop with a vitesse motor back in the day now got an International Harvester truck and obviously an A ....once all the storms and bad weather are past it would be great to come past for a visit,I will get Jamie to bring me up for a bit of advice once my axle is here

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  14. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Hi Rocky -yes that is the style that I am trying to achieve ......strange thing is I am sure I have pictures of my Indian sitting in a similar spot - been racing to Bonneville a few times now ....never broke a record yet LOL