Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driveway Stains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charlie Stephens, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Any suggestions on how to remove oil stains on a cement paver driveway?

Charlie Stephens

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read cow patties will neutralize oil stains. ( I think ammoniak or something dissolves oil)But there is also oil stain remover spray available at hardware stores in case you don´t have a cow handy.

chop job and Just Gary like this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

For small to medium sized stain I spray them with Brakleen, works for me!
    Larger areas I've used Simple Green with OK results.
    KK

4. If they are not grossly old and deep soaked, such as when a vehicle is sitting and leaking for months, I have had good luck burning them with a propane torch. They're instantly gone.
    And there are no chemicals to go in the groundwater or compounds to track in the house.
    I learned about the technique on the 'nets.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    fauj, VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My high school shop teacher recommended dry Portland cement, but I've never had a chance to try it.

Phil

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  6. Fordors

Fordors

My F-I-L was noted for being frugal and when they moved into a new house his niece’s beater left its mark on the concrete drive. He put some light colored grout, unmixed of course, on the spot and it sucked it out like magic.
    I just saw the post by @ Phil P, same kind of deal.

VANDENPLAS, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

The way to remove stains from pavers is just replace the ones that are stained. Nothing I know of cleans them anyway.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and nochop like this.
  8. Our auto tech shop teacher used powdered laundry soap. Sprays the floor wet and sprinkles the soap, scrubs with brooms and rinses. looked good to me. Should work on paver's too.

Cymro, 32Dan, HunterYJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

Purple power works good for me. Use it full strength

Motorwrxs likes this.
  10. Green cow manure will bleach concrete white. and its enviromemtly friendly. In addition to ammonia there are oil eating bacteria in cow manure. Sewage treatment plants commonly add concentrated manure (Urea) to the treatment resevors to eat up sludge.

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Have used powdered Tide for years. Works well for me.

12. I had a 34 Harley vld. they are known for leaving very long trails of oil as you go down the driveway on start up. after several rides it makes a big mess. my next door neighbor at the time told me to squirt Palmolive dish soap on the oil. then use a broom to spread it out. it looks worse until it rains then its all gone. sounds like bs but I can tell you it works great.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

As mentioned by Phil P.....portland cement worked in with a stiff broom has worked great for me.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

When I worked at the Gulf station in high school (early 70's), that's what we used to scrub the bays down. They could get pretty grundgy in short order at a full service station. It always surprised me how well it (powdered Tide & hot water) cleaned up the bays.

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I used kitty litter in the past. Ground it in with my boots. Now I put diapers under my leakers (card board or old carpets)

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ yeah, kitty litter and grind it in with your boots. my daily has an intake leak that drops oil. I clean it up one a week using kitty litter.

spook498 and nochop like this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It does work.
    Imagine drinking it daily what it does to your stomach :eek:

Or I use Borax.

Kiwi 4d, alanp561, beegator and 8 others like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

turn the pavers over.

19. Purple Power is what My commercial customers use in there bays

Motorwrxs and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

+3 for the kitty litter stomp

21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Outside a small amount of gasoline , not the safest practice but it clean clean oil mess up

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take out the flathead and put in a LS motor? :cool:

23. G'day, When working at a dealership last century when we ran out of the fancy floor soap we used plain old Tide detergent. It was cheaper than the fancy stuff and did a better job. The only problem I had with it was I was allergic to the chemical they used for scent. Of course I'm allergic to perfumes and cologne too.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hey V,
    My mom used to use Tide for all of us. When it got hot in So Cal, our white t shirts gave us a slight burn mark on our necks. Even in the winter, sweaters and jackets cleaned with Tide made the same marks. Being teenagers, that was nothing to worry about. Many years later, people found out that Tide is used a lot all over the world. But, like you said, something was affecting a lot of people. The chemical(s) used within the compound was responsible for creating those "rednecks." When we switched over to something like an neutral additive soap like Amway SA-8, those burns went away and never showed up again.

We used all left over dry Tide for garage oil and soaking up gasoline drips or mistakes in the garage. That was the best use of Tide. But, for the naysayers, it did get our clothes very clean. It just was not worth it to have those crappy red marks on our necks.

Jnaki
    These days, there are so many varieties of neutral smelling and non extra additive clothes soaps that get your clothes clean. They usually, do not create any skin afflictions or allergic reactions. There are major brands and funny sounding natural type of soaps that are considered, green, sustainable and a bunch of other stuff. YRMV

25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

How about asphalt?

03GMCSonoma and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  26. I use Castrol Super Clean(think it's the same as Purple Power). My drivers are older, and there's often a spot here and there. I just spray the spots and let it sit. Couple of applications, and our normal rain will rinse it away. No scrubbing. Just time. Although, if in a hurry, scrubbing and re-apply will do it.

27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

On stains on the garage floor, I use kitty litter and scrub it with a 6" piece of 2x4. removes all the stain in about a minute for a 12" square stain.

nochop likes this.
  28. khead47

khead47

"Awesome" cleaner. Cheap at dollar stores. Also great on greasy parts.

Deuces likes this.
  29. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Kitty litter stomp x 4 .... unused kitty litter please.

OLSKOOL57, spook498 and Deuces like this.
  30. If you used the "used" stuff, it contains ammonia, doesn't it?