Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. d. hurst

d. hurst

NHRA Junior Stock

That post, made by someone else, not me, says that slicks were not allowed in 1973 NHRA Stock. I think I can agree with that. I took my car off the street, & put it on the track in '73. Our local track was running what I believed to be NHRA rules. The tower had a div 4 Good Guys symbol painted on the side of the tower.

I have pics of my car, with me bolting on some wide M&H hard rubber street legal tires, in the pits, after towing the car to the track with a '68 Caddy & a tow-bar.

Our track ran off track records, rather than nat records or index. I lowered my D/S track record several times. The local track called our class "Top Stock". The real street driven cars which were actually driven in the gate could run "Street Stock".

My car's engine was still almost exactly, as it had come from the factory. Had an aftermarket timing chain set. With the original 3.90 gears, close-ratio Muncie, & hard tires, the best I could run was 13.90's.

But, for 1974, NHRA made some soft compound tires legal. I've actually read where someone said those tires were made legal by the US Nats of '73. Maybe some of you guys remember. Anyhow, I bought a pair as soon as I heard they were legal. Swapped out my alum flywheel, for a new Hayes steel flywheel & clutch. Those changes alone dropped my ET by about 1/2 sec. For the '75 season, 9" slicks were legal, at least at our track. So, I suppose those tires were only used for 1 season. Below is a pic I found online which IIRC is exactly how those tires looked. Any of you guys ever run those tires ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just posted on your other post answering your questions.
    If you notice most of these cars posted are all prior to 1964.

Let me help clarify things.

The HAMB is a "Traditional" ERA Hot Rod and Custom Car Website from the 20's through 1964.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

No GTO's and Firebirds is correct.
    I'm sorry but if you've come to see anything newer - you've come to the wrong website.
    No Pony Cars - basically the Muscle Car Era of mid 60's on is not covered on the HAMB.

Anything prior to 64 is good.

Here is a outline Tutorial about the HAMB.

It says 65 on the tutorial but that's only for selling a car in the HAMB classifieds 64 and 65 having the same body style like the Buick Riviera etc.

Hope this clarifies.

3. loudbang

loudbang

I ran the then new M&H slicks 7 inches with two grooves at NHRA tracks starting in 1967 in stock class.

Maybe they were thinking "Pure Stock" class which did not allow slicks.

4. d. hurst

d. hurst

No, these tires were wider than 7". They were at least 9", if not more.

Hey, they still sell this tire, in several sizes. They call it a cheater slick & it's DOT legal.

https://www.jegs.com/p/M-H/M-H-Cheater-Slick-Drag-Tires/754718/10002/-1

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

No way in stock class you were limited to 7inches for sure look back in this thread and see people CUTTING them with a cheese grater to meet the 7 inch standard. Modified production was allowed more but NOT stock class in NHRA approved strips.

6. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

d.hurst is referring to the post Junior Stock rules of 7 inch tires.

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  7. d. hurst

d. hurst

Yes, I am referring to the 1974 season, AND POSSIBLY the end of the '73 season, when NHRA made those DOT "cheater slicks" legal. For 1975, 9" slicks were legal.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Correct !

9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Don, your recollection, as affirmed by Terry Bell, matches my recollection as well. I ran the short, fat M&H tires on my Stocker in 1975 and have pictures of it equipped with them. You are correct is stating that they were considerably wider than 7".

c

chryslerfan55 and d. hurst like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Yes can't remember the exact year but they went from mandatory 7 " to I THINK 12 inches around 1971 when I got out of the USMC used them on my Cobrajet.

11. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

loudbang likes this.
  12. You could use any DOT tire that you could stuff under there , without obvious "modifications", starting in 1972. 9" slicks came back in 1975. You could still use the DOTs for a while anyway..Maybe still today? Terry?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I doubt you would want to. The 9 inch racing slick is far superior. I have not read a NHRA rule book lately but the wording probably says 9 inch max as of late...........Anyone ????????

14. I haven't seen an NHRA rule book in 5-6 years, since I needed a permanent number to drive a friend's car that was for sale. I don't give them any money. They don't deserve it , after the way they treat sportsman racers, who supported them for 40 years.

15. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I'm with you 100,000,000,000,000,000 % Mark !

16. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

It's a matter of semantics. I saw a pair of tires with 30.0 x 9" molded into the sidewall. I didn't put a tape on them but the tread width had to have been 10.5". Everyone plays the game when rules aren't enforced.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

As printed in the 2020 NHRA rulebook for Stock Eliminator ...."TIRES Street-type or drag slick tires, maximum 9-inch tread width. Tires may not be altered from tire manufacturer's original design or pattern. Size of tire (new) must not exceed 9-inch wide x 30-inch diameter (94-inch circumference). Tires may not exceed 10 inches wide regardless of wear."

Chuck Norton and loudbang like this.
  18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

With that cleared up.....this is what some Juniors were shod with.
    upload_2020-2-13_19-41-51.jpeg

19. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I will save the moderators a few minutes and ask that we return back to the topic of this great thread and leave the discussion of rules past 1965 for another place. I post that with the upmost respect that I have for each of you that lived it and that post here often. Thank you for your effort. I just don’t want to see the thread closed. Regards, Randy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

A
    And be BORED to death. You realize that Jr. stock eliminator did NOT come into existence until "1964" at the Nationals near the end of the 1964 season ! Phil Chisholm was the FIRST Jr. Stock Eliminator winner with his I/SA1964 Chevy 327 Chevy wagon.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  21. loudbang

loudbang

posted by hemidav in the vintage thread
    from dick kirkpatrick it's Bruce Gowland

hemidav vint Bruce Gowland  from dick kirkpatrick.jpg

22. 270283

Drive to the track, open the cutouts and put the cheater slicks on. The good old days.

23. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Yepper......Remember them well !

24. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Bruce Gowland had an altered wheel base car at one point, a four door Chevy 2 that has been posted on the site a few times. He raced stock cars, tractors and whatever came along. Bruce passed away a couple of years ago.

25. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

swi66.jpg

26. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Willard Wright HRM Riverside 1968
    290228 PA WW HRM 1968.jpg

27. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

I just got home from the bank...long story, but I was depositing cash for a track rental I'm running this summer. It turns out the teller that was helping me is Christin Dunning. She told me about their old '57 and the Jolly Green Giant. I told her I knew lots about them. Cool thing to happen in 2020!

28. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

That should be Kristin Gunning brother Jack's daughter.

29. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I guess everyone DIED. Very few posts lately. That's what your 1964 cut off date for Jr. stock will do for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

PM me if you or any of the Jr. Stock guys are interested in a private track rental at Cecil Co. on Sunday, May 24th. I'm from Harleysville.