Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Windlace and why I should care?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TheMutt, Feb 12, 2020.

1. TheMutt

TheMutt

I’m about to order a new headliner for my 52 styleline, the windlace is terrible and new stuff is money I could spend elsewhere, should I bother replacing it? Or concentrate on new door seals. IMG_0493.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. It helps to seal the opening and gives a finished look. Your call.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What scotty t said. In many old cars it IS what seals the doors, the weather strip is either inadequate or simply no provision for any as with my '48 Diamond T. If you can tolerate wind nose, rattling doors and a completely unfinished look, leave it out. If not, spend the very little money and use it.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're going to do it, do it right

Tim, deucemac, bchctybob and 2 others like this.

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

You just need to do the lacing too, will look so much better. Maybe you can get some nice material and make your own, can be done.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

I've made my own with nylon rope and upholstery cloth. Cheap and fairly simple to do.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

A new headliner and old ragged windlace gives a half assed unfinished look. Your car though.

bchctybob, lothiandon1940 and Texas57 like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The wind lace goes in first,before the upholstery.
    New upholstery with old wind lace will look terrible.
    Perhaps a local upholstery shop might have some they will sell you
    or make some for you.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

definitely cleans up the edges. the headliner attaches to a flimsy aluminum barbed trim which bends easily when removing the old headliner.
    IMG_0595.JPG

10. .........................or you could just hang those little dingle-berry pom- pom balls around the perimeter and watch 'em dance in the inevitable breeze coming in.:D

reagen, alanp561, scotty t and 6 others like this.
  11. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

If they could've saved a buck and not put it in, it'd have never been fitted with it in the first place. It does make a significant difference to the car- particularly as it helps you forget how much the body flexes over bumps by stopping the doors rubbing away your paint every time you hit a pothole.

--Phil

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Seal and windlace if you're doing a quality build. The windlace is named appropriately. As mentioned above, our old cars for the most part had seals that were of inadequate design, so replacing with new seals still isn't a cure all. What I've found is the rubber seals are more for water than wind. The windlace is what keeps most of the annoying wind noise out at cruising speeds. Windlace doesn't need to be sewn together, it can be glued with contact cement. I believe most upholsterers would recommend a quality rubber core. Adequate attachment is another concern with the windlace. Most of the old oem factory metal grip plates are difficult to use. If your project allows, try to add some wood or pvc strips around the opening for stappling. On my '57, there was room/depth for 3/4 wood strips. The oem windlace had wires in the flange of the windlace for the grippers (or staples) to grasp. I've not seen any aftermarket windlace that has the wires. Making your own will require a lot of footage of material. It takes a loooong strip to make it's way around 3 sides of the door. This pic was actually taken to record the installation of a fixed window seal ala business sedan, but it shows how I installed the windlace.
    IMG_2048.JPG

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Exactly what 19Fordy states, plus, the windlass will stand out and look worse with a new headliner. Do the job once and do it right!

14. I should mention that if you're going the no-sew route, make sure not to get the contact cement on the core. If you do, you will make a windlace that is too stiff to flex around the corners. Glue the flanges only. I used 2 boards to make a nest for the materials too keep it straight as I was going along. After gluing a section in the "nest", I used wide flang pliers to get in tight against the core.

15. TheMutt

TheMutt

Thanks for the advice guys, guess I’ll spring for some, my factory stuff seems to have a cardboard sewn into the tucked edge, is that standard on most aftermarket windlace?

16. squirrel

squirrel

I'm curious what the rest of the car's interior looks like....is the headliner the only thing getting replaced? how are the side panels? how about the seats?

17. squirrel

squirrel

I suggest you ask the company you're planning to buy from, if it includes cardboard. I'd be surprised if it did.

18. Most upholstery shops just make there own. The foam core comes in 2 different sizes and in a 200ft length by the box. When you see custom upholstery jobs with matching windlace it's made per job in the shop. It's cheep and easy. Go talk to your local shop before you just order it. And by all means don't cut that corner and leave it out.

19. TheMutt

TheMutt

It’s far from perfect, but the headliner is non existent, so I’m starting there, not doing a full show resto, just a driver for Sunday drives

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When doing a headliner. I just figure it`s gonna need Kick panels. A package tray, sunvisors and the A pillar and b pillar getting recovered too. These parts do no come off easily and usually get destroyed in the process. Replace the tackstrip if it is questionable. You will be happier in the long run. If some of it is bad, then replace all of it.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go here, find what you need, very nice people, priced right (1/2 of the others), quick service, many colors in stock.

https://www.albrightssupply.com/

I bought enough to do my 39 Tudor, in a nice contrasting coachlace pattern, delivered for about $60. They're near the MS/TN state line and I got it in MI in 2 days. Did I say nice people? They really are. No pics in this computer, maybe I'll drop some later...

22. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A typical door takes about 10-12 feet. I just received 48' from https://www.jjautofabrics.com/. $111.00 for four doors. They have 14 colors available. I misread the color chart and ordered the wrong color. They are exchanging it, no problem. Great company to deal with. Most windlace comes with a 3/4" tail which doesn't always work with your retainers.. I am going to afix iron on tape to add extra length. I don't know where to get the old paper/cardboard they used.
    Warren

harpo1313 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

The core is also available in a cotton material.I guess its cotton,looks like it

lothiandon1940 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  24. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

Use the windlacing in your pic. Its made of a woven material so it will not wrinkle when going around tight curves. Wind lacing goes in first. After you remove the tuck rails.. Replace the tac strips if they are rotten. Number the headliner bows front to back. After the new one is in and hanging, stretch front to back and side to side. Use a flat blunt scraper to tuck it under the grab rails. It will have some wrinkles. If its felt .spray some water on them and heat with a heat gun or hair dryer. -they will disappear . If its vinyl ,just use heat. Take your time and it will look great. Do it right and only do it once. Hope this helps.

TheMutt and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Make an appointment now with your chiropractor 'cause you'll need a neck adjustment when you finish with the headliner.:rolleyes::)

26. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It’s like anything else you do, do one thing, it makes something else look bad. Do headliner, windlace looks bad. Do both, door panels look bad. Do them, then the seats look bad. Do them, then the floor looks bad. Might as well do it all, then the paint looks bad. See where this is going? These old cars are a money trap! Hell of a lot of fun though, and you can't take it with you!