Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What am I looking at?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 19, 2019.

1. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

The CDN Merc is the same as the 'murican.
    They are not sweat cars.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. As a kid, I didn't know anything about the fact that the Ford dealerships were split so Ford could compete with the separate Chevy and Pontiac dealerships, that were in every town.
    I always preferred the styling of the Meteor cars and the Mercury trucks to the same offerings with the Ford badge. On the street in the 50, where I lived in the interior of BC, there were about the same number of Meteors on the road as there were Fords, and the same with the Monarch and the Mercury cars. The Canadian Ford dealers sold the Monarch line of cars.
    I have owned three Mercury pickups, (I still own a 1 ton), and to me they were the same truck, although the experts will state that there are quite a few trim differences, and I have read, but can't confirm, that in the flathead days, some Mercury trucks had larger engines.
    It all ended with the signing of the auto pact in 1967. The last Mercury badged trucks were sold in 1968, and I think they were just slightly re-trimmed versions of the 67.
    Bob

alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Danny, what happened with Randy's Mercury truck? It seemed like it was only a year or so before he passed away that he went to get it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. We all fall victim to the occasional faux pas.

I am sure it won't be my last. HRP :D HRP

5. Randy found and bought the truck in 2010 and after his roadster caught fire he decided he didn't need 2 projects and sold the truck in 2013.

[​IMG]

When Randy's health took a turn for the worse he decided to sell it, I am unsure if a hamber bought it or he listed it in e-bay but I do remember him saying he did get his money out f it and had a great road trip going after the truck.

I do know whoever bought it made all the repairs and built a beautiful truck that then sold on ebay. HRP

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    ffr1222k likes this.
  6. I_Am_Man

I_Am_Man

Greetings from Indiana.
    I found this thread concerning Canadian Meteors, so I thought I'd like to see if anyone would have any background info on the one we bought a few months ago. It's a '49 (we call it our "49er") Meteor business coupe (no back seat) that has received a moderate bit of customizing. Skirts, '55 Pontiac side trim, the hood's been cleaned of any ornaments and letters, standard flattie v8 (so far), aluminum heads, Caddie wheel covers, dual exhaust, 12 volt conversion and remote trunk opener. It's passed through the hands of several wholesale and retain sales people. One of the past owners told me that he had been told the car came from Maine.
    So, does anyone here on H.A.M.B. recognize the car...?? It's mint green or light turquoise and is in excellent shape. I've included several pictures to help jog anybody's memory.
    I've been trying to get another project underway ('50 Ford 4 door), but I'm getting older faster than I'm getting any work done.
    I appreciate any thoughts or input on this '49 Meteor.
    Many thanks.
    Dave

Attached Files:

7. When I was in the first grade, a high school guy had a 50 Ford convertible with what I assumed was a Mercury grill. It may have been Canadian, but given the fact that I was in rural NC I kinda doubt it was Canadian. It was a nice car, lowered, nosed & decked, frenched headlights skirts and the aforementioned Merc grille made it a stand out in 1951. The best part, it was home built. Funny how I’ve remembered it vividly all these years.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. I_Am_Man

I_Am_Man

Likely, they were spread out; however, with only 23000+ built in 1949, I'm sure they're very few in number today. What color was the convertible you remember...?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. It was cream/off white colored.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. ......................Hey guys, how about taking the extra step to make your pictures full size so we don't have to click on the thumbnails.:) 49 Meteor.png 49.Canadian.Meteor.2.jpg

j-jock, harpo1313 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You getting lazy in your old age or is your finger broke?;)

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. ..............Both!...Old, lazy and Arthritic!:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. 54vicky

54vicky

actually the montcalm did not show up as a model for several years.you may be thinking of the monarch another animal.that nameplate disappeared in 1960(monarch).the meteor also sported a mercury dash in the mid 50s

alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. That is the stock 49 Meteor grille.
    Bob

15. And if you guys really want be confused do a search for Australian 1957-59 Ford Customlines..........lol....andyd.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yes, you are correct and I knew that. My memory is great but the guy I hired to make deliveries isn't the most reliable at times! LOL

I once owned a '75 Mercury Monarch, a Granada lookalike but way more classier and being a very proud Canadian I loved the connection to the past.

17. 54vicky

54vicky

LOL may steal that line in the future if I remember:D:D

18. I_Am_Man

I_Am_Man

Sorry about the thumbnails.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. ......It's all good.:)