Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Beware of Ross Racing Engines!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vern 1963, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

Yeah the 4 1/8 isn’t there!!! Unfortunately...

2. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

I didn’t say that!!

3. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

Actually in Ohio the law under OCSPA is up to 3 times the amount you paid plus all fees!!

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Hmm, it also has the road draft flange at the back of the block,
    If it's that early there should be a stamped number at the deck surface driver side between cylinders 5 and 7
    Later engines had road draft coming from valve cover and stamped number on head.

bchctybob and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Curious that it has the 3 bolt oil filter mount and road draft at block but no 4 suffix in cast number

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bummer. Wonder what @TRJ Steve or @J.Ukrop Joey would say about Tony’s integrity.

Baumi and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  7. triumph 1

triumph 1

More than likely the deck surface was machined making them very hard to read if they are still there. I would definitely look though.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. I feel your pain as I have had similar situations on engine & body work. I will be doing my own from now on. I'm 86+ & when I can't move any more they better be measuring me up for that suit I don't have. I ain't printing what I think about crooks & B S. the pink stuff is wax, being fitted for hearing aids. Yeah turn it up ha ha 0520191056.jpg 'rs.

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

This is very disappointing. I bought a cam, lifters, damper and timing set from him with little drama. But I guess when it comes to complete engines it's the old "he who has the fattest wallet gets the service".
    I'm sorry that you had this experience, several years ago I helped a friend who had the same experience with an engine builder who was supposed to build him a blown Arias/BBC. He delivered his parts to the guy and paid in full - $12k. (something I would NEVER do). After 5 years of excuses and non-communication we went and collected (most of) his parts and gave the guy an ear full. He basically gave the guy $12k to store his parts for 5 years. Disgusting. And the guy didn't care one way or the other. What the hell's wrong with these people? We're all car guys.
    I had my 345" Olds done by our local machine shop. Being an old engine it wasn't cheap but it was nowhere near 13k. I hope you pursue your legal alternatives and end up with the engine you need to get your car back together. Good luck.

10. Ziggster

Ziggster

These tales are just plain hard to read and seem to be steady. I really feel for the OP and what they have gone through the last 6 years. Money can't buy time, and it seems this clown stole 6 years of opportunities. No one is getting younger, and one should be able to enjoy their rides as much as possible. Let's hear what Tony has to say

11. guys who do these things should worry. even with the economy booming there are plenty of guys out of work. they can dish out a lot of pain for cheap. the first red flag should have been give me a bunch of cash then wait a long time. what does someone need the cash for if they are not working on it? the second problem here is not doing the deal in person and not stopping in for progress checks. six years is a joke.

12. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

Sorry we all are not as perfect as yourself!! Don’t take this thread in that direction. I’m waiting for Tony to respond and give his side of the story!

13. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Not six years not 13k. Also the way you worded it? Makes it sound like you called him after two years and he just forgot you. You gave him another $6,500 and he threw an engine together and got it out to you? Really hope that's not the case on his end. You did keep contact during the first two years right?

14. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

No!!! Reread the post and look at build sheet and invoice.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I meant not 6 years not 13k as In I couldn't stomach it. Sorry it happened to you. Still did you keep in contact with him in the first two years?

Old wolf likes this.
  17. Don't know if anyone remembers Coleman Bros in MD. Bill is still building engines, working on a flathead for me right now. Funny thing is I offered twice to leave a deposit and he wouldn't take it. Now he has machined engines stacked in his shop, some been there for years, no response from the owners for years. He's been talking about thinning them out, but that's money lost. So if you need an engine...

18. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

WOW, that was new news to me. I was under the impression this was a stand up shop.

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I remember them, and restored their old Fueler. P1010002 small.jpg

20. ^Man I always loved that car.

21. Man I miss Tom W.. what a great guy..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Larry Ladd still does the heads for his builds. Did my y-block.
    Nice looking car. Copying to show Bill.

23. That’s real real sad n frustrating.

bit he did not give you what was promised or written down

dishonest, fraud, illegal, etc etc.

I’m sure you have, but I would get the law involved in what ever capacity they can be involved in this.

up here there are “ legal money collectors” or “ problem solvers”
    they run right on the edge of the law, but what they do is perfectly legal.
    They don’t threaten violence, but know what they can and can’t get away with as far as getting back money, property etc.we have used them at work to get paid or equipment back when customers try n play tough guy, I have gone out myself with a tilt n load and a cell phone to collect many times. On either taking what’s owed or calling the cops, your choice. Always works for me as folks who do this kind of stuff usually don’t want the law sniffing around for any reason.

I know a customer of mine got screwed over by a contractor that was installing equipment in his foundry.
    He told the contractor it’s not me, but my investors that are demanding there money back.
    Contractor asked for a meeting with said “ investors”
    Well my customer showed up with 7 bikers and said “ here are my investors and they are curious as to why they are not seeing a return in there investment “
    Rather quickly the contractor cane up with a check to get these “businessmen”out of his office.

I hope this works out for you,the years and cash you have tied up, to not get what you waited for are a cause for rage to say the least.

24. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

25. Old wolf, bchctybob and LAROKE like this.
  26. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

Yes he would tell me how busy he was and didn’t have any help. This list just keeps going but he liked using the phrase “I make everything in batches”. Anyways I called and talked with him on many occasions about the transmission conversions he makes and different odds and ends about this car. By the way he led me to believe he made these aluminum heads himself as in-house type deal. I was really shocked when I seen the name on the heads wasn’t Ross!!!

Old wolf likes this.
  27. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just lawyer up and go from there.

28. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

Thank you for understanding!! I’m over the rage part! Now it’s down to the business part! My dad is 70 now and I bought this car for him in 2013. I kept it hid from him until I finally realized I wasn’t getting an engine any time soon. Tony took my moment from me but that’s OK!

winduptoy, Dino 64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. ^^^^ Pretty much what panhead_pete said.

You need to secure a judgement first.. with attorney fees awarded. This will take a lawyer being hired. Cheaper than $13k. Once a judgement is awarded .. the next step is asset collections.

All legal, & quicker remedy than 6 years.

Have had like experiences in lawyering. No offense intended in business lost thru inattentions. It's about making yourself whole again. Especially in light of the circumstances.

Good luck !!

30. So Ross is the dad,,, old man,,,and Tony is the son,,,running the place now.
    Is Tony really all that good,,or is he just riding on his dads coattail ?
    I have witnessed several places go bad after a change at the top like that.
    Good luck !

Tommy

Old wolf, Vern 1963 and VANDENPLAS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.