Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2020 Banger Thread. Happy Groundhog Day***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I've had pretty good luck with the cork and rope seals. One thing I found was to make sure the rear tube is in place, if it falls off you'll have a leak all of a sudden...
    Also- make sure the sharp edge of the oil pan hits the cork in the center or pretty close, all the way across. I had one that was bowed in slightly and after the third time pulling it I realized it was squeezing past the cork when it was tightened up. Just my .2-1/2¢ worth

chryslerfan55, Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  2. railcarmover

railcarmover

If you have a stock crankshaft you have to refit for a modern seal,if the rear main is leaking check the bearing clearance and end play..thrust bearing wear almost guarantees a rear main leak.

I second the motion on mechanical brakes,the only advantage to hydraulics is even application pressure at each wheel..cast drums,woven or bonded shoes on well maintained foundations with proper adjustment..done..

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if Ted's kits are still available , I would highly recommend them for mechanical brakes...……. steve

poshdbs, Jet96 and brjnelson like this.
  4. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

I have to agree with V4F my 31pickup has the mechanical brakes and I still retained them after I lowered it ,, I locks up all four wheels no problem

chryslerfan55, Dannerr and poshdbs like this.
  5. poshdbs

poshdbs

Are Ted's for all four or only for the fronts? I want to stay mechancal.

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

7. 97

Yes 4 wheels , and they are still available direct from Ted.
    http://www.flatheadted.com/
    You can email him
    [email protected]

or phone him

New Zealand: 096263141
    International: 006496263141
    Mobile: 0211193090

He will even answer the door if you want to visit

204 New Windsor Rd
    Mount Roskill
    Auckland
    New Zealand 0600

8. poshdbs

poshdbs

Thank you, I've sent him an email.

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

accept no one except "TEDS" ……………..

brjnelson and poshdbs like this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

Im gonna catch hell for this..If you have good brake foundations,roller tracks,cams,actuators, ect. Ford centered style brakes are fine.Self centering (floater) brakes 'cam' into the drum,increasing braking effort,but when adapting a centered brake shoe system its impossible to get the shoes to 'float' perfectly,resulting in accelerated and uneven brake wear. The increased braking efficiency offsets the accelerated wear for some folks,and if the foundation parts are worn the braking advantage provided by floaters is truly worth it.But yes,that better braking comes at a price..

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and poshdbs like this.
  11. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

Ted’s on mine as well. On such a light car I don’t feel much effort at all braking.

Now, a “quick” question:

Is anyone currently selling a quick change rear end for Model As? Is the Kiwi quick change still around? Anyone here have a setup they would like to part with? Thanks!

12. guitarguy

guitarguy

Afternoon fellows. If anyone has a Decent standard size Model A crankshaft and a set of main caps they'd like to part with and not want alot, I sure could use them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

** when I bought mine awhile back , he said it was the last as his machine shop closed .
    also he did not heat treat the housing & it was expensive to repair . but I do like it as 101,s are rare

14. Check with Godevil. He is near you and after all the motors he has built must have something. Especially if you are willing to take a junk motor apart.

15. walls

walls

Basically stock.
    Been resisting the urge to modify it.
    I already have a coupe that’s in pieces.
    I know better.

Hadn’t run in years but new gas oil and rebuilt distributor has it running nicely.
    Couldn’t resist the mild weather had to take it out for a ride.
    It’s been a couple years since I drove one with a stock engine.
    Head/carb/ignition really make a huge difference. Maybe in the fall. 46367F1C-71CE-486C-A2AE-08258274EC0C.jpeg 76FA6F29-5490-4694-81C6-F919745B01F6.jpeg

v8flat44, Old Dawg, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  16. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Picked this up today.TD04HL-13t,it was on a kubota diesel,same turbo fits volvo and subaru.I plan on building an inserted counterbalanced lower end with pressure mains and dipper rods..ross pistons, have a winfield red head..think I on the right track,want to build a hot flathead street engine..I looked at some boost charts,want to limit it,it has a mechanical waste gate so I should be able to control it..was thinking a single 97 but not sure,compression and turbo scavenge should raise CFM and VE enough to run way more than that...anybody have experience with one?

17. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

That’s what I was afraid of. Well, I got my hand on a 101 qc. Now, I just have to figure out how the hell to set it up.

chryslerfan55 and Dannerr like this.
  18. Railcar,
    I would check to make sure there is an oil seal in the compressor housing first. Typically diesel turbos do not have one and when used in a draw-thru system will pull oil from bearing in high vacuum (idle) condition.
    I do agree with limiting the boost level, easy with wastegate.
    More than likely the compressor will not be able to provide high boost levels with this displacement motor anyway.
    Be mindful of the mechanical limits and retard the spark, it should run really good.

John

chryslerfan55, Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

it sets up just like the A . the QC gears are alone on set up . ring & pinion are set with gaskets on the housing between it and axle housings . gaskets come in different sizes for correct setting . don't use sealer until you have the correct gaskets . there are lots of 'how to set up QC' on line . just search the 101 set up ………….. congrats … steve …………… as henry said …. its just nuts & bolts

20. railcarmover

railcarmover

Thanks John.

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Raced a Sprint car in the 70's with an Air Research turbo on a 292 inliner until it got banned. We built our own waste gate because things like that weren't a catalogue item like they are now. I would start at one atmosphere boost
    and a stock head...you are pushing air into the cylinder so the dynamic C/R goes up. I wouldn't think that you would want to go much above 5.5 C/R static. You will need to feed it enough oil to cool it and a drain line to the pan...but you might already know that. Looks and sounds like a fun project. Keep us in the loop.

Larry

chryslerfan55 and Old Dawg like this.
  22. railcarmover

railcarmover

I will if we both make it that long. By pressurizing the mains Ill have feed oil for the turbo bearing,figure dipper rods since I'm not going to spin it that hard,not a big fan of cross drilled cranks anyway.I have an early B crank with welded on cheeks,nice 29 block.Ross pistons for the thin rings,already has modern valves with hardened seats,reground B cam.Keeping the head on is important,chromoly head studs,hard washers and good steel fire ring,the best gaskets look good for that but Im open to suggestions.Winfield red head starts me at 7 to 1,if i peak at 9 to 1 with boost Id be happy..CFM to 400 or so,but I haven't figured how much fuel Im going to put to it.Finally have all the pieces,now I need time and money,but who doesnt ..John

23. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

Thanks for the info, Steve, and the vote of confidence.

24. v8flat44

v8flat44

Oh how sweet it is......thanks 4 the ride!

25. callcoy

callcoy

There used to be an individual posting on here I believe that made valve spring shims and header plates for Model A's, I haven't seen him here in a long time. I am in need of a set of spring shims for a friends engine. Does anyone know how I can reach him or someone else that can supply a set of shims/spacers. Appreciate your assistance!

26. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Charlie Yapp @ Scalded Dog has shims for sale. Go to www.secretsofspeed.com

27. 97

One of the locals ( NZ ) put a turbo on a Model A motor a few years ago and raced it at the NZ Nostalgia drags, he had a Tudor body the first year ( I own that now) but the following years he ran it in his roadster pickup. I had pics but cant find them
    From memory he ran a big SU carb, headers and the rest of it was stock. He blew a few head gaskets, but got it sorted. I asked him about the shortblock, and he said "it's nothing special just one I dragged out of the pile."

28. 97

Just remembered the Mancillas Brothers from LA, they have a turbo A Altered and a twin Model A engine dragster with turbos.

Mancillas1993.jpg 202871496_31489ddffd_o.jpg

29. v8flat44

v8flat44

Now that is way two cool......

30. callcoy

callcoy

Thank you for the lead I must of had a senior moment, really appreciate your response