Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Current photo's of restored vintage race cars-Then and Now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the shadow, Feb 9, 2020.

1. the shadow

the shadow

at the recommendation of Rooman, here is a thread for members to post pictures of "original" vintage race cars (drag racing-Dirt or asphalt Oval or ?). If possible try to put an original picture of the car along with the current picture.
    Here's mine:
    originally the Solomon & Rorres A/D from Havertown Pa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Subscribed and following. Hope this page stays on track just like the first example.

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quain
    This may not be the right thread for this sort of discussion, but I'm curious about Greg Porters' 55 Chevy and the reason for him leaving SEGA.
    Were the modern heads, intake, etc the pivotal point?

mad mikey likes this.

5. Love the early diggers. Beautiful chassis, origin?

mad mikey likes this.
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Denny to keep from hijacking the thread I'll private message you on that subject, but will say you're right on the 11 degree heads and modern intake as not being SEGA legal.

mad mikey and egads like this.
  7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

8. 0ldracer

0ldracer

NOV1962-4.jpg
    Dave_Hales 1963 Indy.jpg
    1963CapitolRaceway.jpg
    DHAquasco.jpg
    S_S1965.jpg
    1999 Carlisle
    Carlisle1999.jpg
    HalesIndy2004.JPG
    Hales NHRA Museum.jpg

9. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

Check out my avatar--we still race both cars,dragmaster was back-halfed just before we bought it, runs low 10's and in the 9's depending on tune-up and conditions,tom

mad mikey, kidcampbell71 and egads like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Love 'em both woody Tom. Its fun to see that digger run.

mad mikey and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Not current since I took this at the 4oth running of the U.S. Nationals
    in 1994.

Indy 131.JPG

mad mikey and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. 0ldracer

0ldracer

The Shadow...let's bump this!! There has got to be some more!!!

mad mikey and Quain Stott like this.
  13. the shadow

the shadow

a perfect example of the type of posts for this thread with both old and current pictures. Yes there are dozens of cazr that would fill this thread. Im just in love with people who have found and saved original race cars and have not modernized them, like all the cackle rails you see. some have very interesting back stories as to how they were found or acquired, for instance I found my rail in a salvage yard and the employee's thought it was a big go cart frame.

mad mikey and Quain Stott like this.
  14. the shadow

the shadow

yes original Pat bilbow built Lyndwood Eliminator II dragster from 1959, the Lyndwoods east of the rockies were what chassis research was to everyone west of the rockies. both started at the same time and both claim to have been the first production chassis available thru mail or a speed shop.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you guys are concentrating on drag cars here, but howz about some sixties dirt cars?

Here are some pictures of my car as built in the mid '60's, and a couple of contemporary pictures. I have to say that the original Model "A" body was replaced by the cut down '34 Chevrolet coach body currently on it early on because of weight considerations. The picture of the car being towed by the steam tractor shows the current body, but that picture is obviously at least 50 years old.

This car is so famous in the mid west that ERTL made a model of it; not a very good one though. (They used a stock item they already had; they got the number, color, owner/builders, and driver right).

Old 102.jpg
    Steam Tractor.png
    racecar.jpg
    Arlington IMCA Oldtimers 1999.jpg
    Mccorkell102new.jpg
    Jezebel.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-21_6-57-7.png Thanks, Mike

Hello,

It was a privilege to be in the area where the top Gas Coupes and Sedans set records almost every weekend at the various So Cal dragstrips. Our home court was Lions and we saw plenty of the top racers in the beginning of their careers. (Jr. Thompson, Doug Cook, K.S.Pittman, Grist Bros, to name a few top racers.) We had seen the blue Willys Coupe of SWC race and it was impressive. We knew Doug Cook from his 1937 Chevy C/Gas Coupe days. Add that quickness and reaction time to a powerful blue Willys Coupe and no wonder it was consistently in the winner’s circle.
    upload_2020-2-21_7-3-9.png Mike Cook archives
    For us, it disappeared when we were slowing down in the drag racing circles. Then in 2017, I was invited to go to the “new” first edition of the Lions Dragstrip museum. I contributed my Lions color racing films to be run on the big screen. But, as I was in the process of going to several set up days, I noticed something sitting in the corner of the huge warehouse. Could it be? Then asking questions about it, I found out that it was the center piece of the Lions Museum and Price Transfer Automobilia compound.
    upload_2020-2-21_7-4-31.png
    The SWC light blue coupe had been refurbished and was sitting all by itself in the corner. No, it was not being punished, but getting ready for the grand opening in late June, 2017.
    upload_2020-2-21_7-5-4.png upload_2020-2-21_7-5-14.png The original tube grille in all its front end glory !!! We all like a nice front end !

I was flabbergasted to say the least. I thought I was walking into a time capsule and here was one of the top gas coupes from So Cal sitting by itself. I had not seen this coupe since the early 60s and it looked fabulous. White wall tires and all.
    upload_2020-2-21_7-6-21.png 2017 museum set up days

Jnaki

During the 2017 grand opening, it was along the major wall of the warehouse hall. Photos of the Willys in competition were on the wall. Mike Cook, Doug Cook’s son, and his family were proudly talking to old friends and new admirers.
    upload_2020-2-21_7-7-15.png
    June 24, 2017 opening night

OPENING NIGHT JUNE 24, 2017 A SURPRISE AT THE END...

2019 The grand re-opening of the Lions Dragstrip Museum (refurbished and expanded)
    upload_2020-2-21_7-8-20.png Rod Authority 2019

enloe, mad mikey and the shadow like this.
  17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've been involved with this Hot Rod since 1962 as a kid hanging around a garage and getting the guys coffee. The pictures show it from day one to probably the last time it will be raced. The picture with the US Mule is when I first got it back around 89. Picture at Island Dragway was first time out after restoration Brother Mike and I rebuilt it to look like it raced in 64-65. Last picture is me driving at the Dover Nostalgia Drags 2019. We ran the car for 11 years that's more than my friends Dave Daly and Willie "The Welder" Feyh owned it. All my friends are gone now and they did get to see the car race again. Thanks guys for introducing me to the sport and cars, I will never forget you.

Pat

Attached Files:

18. Thanks very much JNAKI for the coverage of the most famous gasser.;):)

enloe and jnaki like this.