Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Great depression homemade trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56cadillackid, Jul 9, 2019.

1. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG]

This is my 1916 Hudson Super Six that was cut down into a truck in the 30’s the family bought it new in ‘16. They bought a new dodge sedan in ‘32 and cut down the touring car to use the truck on the farm. Still running and driving.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, Budget36, AHotRod and 12 others like this.
  2. chrisp

chrisp

I have the title of a Delaunay Belleville titled as a truck, for those of you who don't know this French brand, they are known as the cars of the tsars and were playing in the same field as Rolls-Royce.
    Probably got cut down during WWII for gas.

i like cars & stuff and AHotRod like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Except that was a factory built Oldsmobile truck. One just like it went at auction a few weeks ago in my neck of the woods

4. topher5150

topher5150

I figured it was a touring car they hillbilly engineered.....see what i did there

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha ha, Jethro!

6. Dwardo

Dwardo

Interestingly enough, the car/truck used in the movie "Grapes of Wrath" was a Hudson. That car still exists.

Spooky likes this.
  7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Interesting front wheel rims on the front of that Hudson.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. noboD

noboD

They look like they are on inside out.

WB69 likes this.
  9. utahdodge

utahdodge

The wood spoke rims gave out on the old guy years ago so he put those tractor/implement rims on it. I am tracking down wood or wire spoked rims or would even do period solid metal rims if I could find some that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. 28sc

28sc

noboD
    b%U1Yx6TTnSYrWkoKcdArA.jpg , Thanks. I could see the front of the Dodge when I got into the building but was not able to really see the TT part until I was towing it out of the mess

11. noboD

noboD

Please post a picture of the linkage for the doors. DBs didn't have outside door handles at this time so Rex had to improvise.

12. 28sc

28sc

Sorry for the delay. I was not reading the site the last couple of days. Here are a couple of pictures of the linkage.

Attached Files:

AHotRod and Squablow like this.
  13. noboD

noboD

Thanks, I hope the others following this can appreciate the engineering they went through so you could open the door.

town sedan likes this.
  14. chev34ute

chev34ute

479910F4-D187-4607-B17D-7E67EA424E36.jpeg

15. town sedan

town sedan

Thanks for bringing this one back up.
    -Dave

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

30 years ago i was doing a job deep in W.V. I would get off interstate 79 well past Fairmont and pass an old place that had a 41 Ford Pick up in the yard. one day the guy was out, i stopped, talked and he took me to a back building that had at least 6 big 30s Lincolns & Caddys that had been converted to tow trucks. he had a bunch of other cars too. I believe he had a trucking business. anybody know where that was?

tractorguy likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hmm, I zoomed in for a good look at Ellie May. I'm not sure that's Donna Douglas, or an of the Clampetts for that matter. Doubles?

Great thread too..

[​IMG]

18. Mike

Mike

That is an image from the movie that was made a few years ago, not the original TV show.

Spooky, jimmy six and blowby like this.
  19. From the big screen movie. Not the black & white series. Mike types faster :D

blowby likes this.
  20. That picture is from the 1993 movie called the Beverly Hillbillies.

My `28 A roadster was a depression truck when I found it over a decade ago. The trunk area was cut wider, and a box was fabricated of 2X6 boards to fit into the enlarged opening. It even had a custom cab back made out of galvanized tin. Home made windshield posts incorporated cut up T roadster or touring windshield posts for glass to slide down into. I assume the roof was wood, but could not tell for sure, because it was long gone. I bought it and two burnt gas pumps for $400. It tried very hard to fall apart when we picked it up with the tractor.

Dig cam picsIII 190.jpg

Dig cam picsIII 191b.jpg

Picking up A 041b.jpg

Picking up A 060b.jpg

IMAG0735b.jpg
    It's worth more to me as a roadster so I converted it back.

Spooky, Cosmo49, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  21. Yes, there is quite a bit of truth to that. My dad told me he hardly ever saw any newer vehicles in Alabama during the depression. I guess that is why I could never find much in the way of vintage tin when I was growing up driving the back roads.:(

Spooky and AHotRod like this.
  22. 52HardTop

52HardTop

In the 60s, we would spend some summer days at a small local farm that our cousins ran in Hamden Ct. Our Old PaPa Nick had an late 40s, light green, Chevy that had been cut up into a farm truck. Actually it was a wooded flat bed that was built and put onto the chassis of possibly a 4 door sedan. The top was cut off the car. All I remember was a front seat, windshield and no doors. I would be riding along in the passenger side of the front seat, holding on for dear life as he would be flying up and down the rows of the vegetables. Looking over my shoulder I would see the flat bed piled with bushels of tomatoes. He would cruise down to the lower end of the fields going downhill to the end of the row, turn to fly along the back row and then turn again to come up the rows to the top of the farm. It was a blast! I can still hear the 216 screaming at a high rpm as he was going through the 3 speeds. I also remember him letting me take home the dog dish Chevy hubcaps that I found in one of the barns. No doubt, they came from the green bomb that was transformed into his farm truck. Yes, he was a depression farmer who was still doing it into the 60s.

Budget36 and tractorguy like this.
  23. A coupe made into pickup...many years ago...
    30 A coupe 006.jpg 30 A coupe 011.jpg

24. 55styleliner

55styleliner

1928 Chrysler Roadster.
    9345EE4D-3667-4455-8130-709EA84EF5D7.jpeg

Jet96, Spooky, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  25. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

On the newer side: Wish I'd taken a photo, but I just saw it in passing - a light blue '55 Chevy sedan made into a flatbed truck. The body was cut off behind the front doors and the back closed off with wood. Saw it in West Paducah, KY in the early '70s.

26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Appears that they are anyway.

27. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

My Dad had a 28 model A that had an insert that slid into the trunk space. Sold it to a friend around St. Louis a couple of years ago.

28. woodscaper

woodscaper

Here's a pic from my family archives of a I think a 1922 Buick my Mom's uncle owned, have no idea of the date. 1922 buick - Copy.jpg

Jet96, Hamtown Al and RMR&C like this.
  29. AHotRod

AHotRod

My Dad worked for Sears & Roebuck for 30+ years and I remember him showing me a pick-up box that they sold that would slide into the trunk area of a old Coupe.
    I've searched high and low trying to find a picture, but to no avail.

This is as close to what I remember from nearly 60 years ago.

3L53M93N15Ka5Md5J1d3sa5b6535ae5f5135a.jpg

3G33K53M15F45Ha5J4d3s270227c5683b10b1.jpg

63055-37PlymPickupConversion.jpg

NoelC, Spooky, alfin32 and 1 other person like this.
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

This picture with the bed in the trunk, and the trunk lid in it.

64340-ModelA1.JPG