Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do dislike about our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyding, Jan 12, 2020.

1. raymay

raymay

Years ago at a local show I saw a 55 Handyman Wagon I had once owned when it was fully restored. The car was for sale and the guy was feeding a huge line describing how he built the car. My Son went back and grabbed a little book I had in my 37 Chevy that had pictures of some of my cars. We walked by the 55 again and my Son said " hey Dad look our old 55 and it still looks as good as when you sold it". The guy and the potential buyer looked surprised and the guy insisted that this was not my old car. I nicely describes some of the not so obvious things on the car and my Son opened the book showing them some pictures and past history of the car. I think I may have screwed up his sale because the potential buyer gave him a look and walked away. I never liked people thinking they need to tell a made up story to sell a car. If the guy was honest, I would have been happy to share with him the previous 5 owners history I had on the car which would probably have been a better sales pitch for selling it.

scan0037.jpg

2. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

one of the dislikes are the people in the hobby that sells parts that they don't even know what they are selling, have no clue what it fits but they want $400 for it. Or the one that just has to have a part you have to get his car going he's been working on for years and you let him have it to get it on the road then sells it 2 weeks later and don't even thank you

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Made up slang makes me dizzy

warbird1 likes this.
  4. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Crap parts to the point where you might have to source two or three different parts to find the one that is quality enough and/or fits...leaving you with a pile of extra crap that you really don't feel good about selling. I just don't have time for it anymore. Sell me the good part and charge me what it takes to make it and make a profit, I just don't want to find out I paid a premium price for a crap part.

5. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

I always hear people complaining about this but hoarders are probably responsible for more old iron being saved than being destroyed. It sucks to see a lifetime worth of collecting/hoarding go to the scrapper when it does happen but I think in most cases all the old junk would have been melted down to make Honda's even earlier if the hoarder hadn't dragged it home. Of course I'm a little biased because I'm a hoarder...

47ragtop, trollst and jimmy six like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is something I often hear hoarders say.

The trouble is, if you don't use your stash, and your heirs sell it for scrap, it left the market when you took it off the market. It then may just as well have been melted down then.

7. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

That's why my hoard is all going in a big hole along with my dead ass so I can take it with me.

Chili Phil likes this.
  8. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

"The three "P's".......price, price and price. Like the commercial for life insurance goes. I'm pretty good at ignoring all the rest of the stuff but the prices are harder to get around. Luckily I got into flatheads 20 years ago before they had became a big deal again. Back then my local junk yard had eight different '38/'39 pickups that I could pull parts from. Today it would be much harder and more expensive to build.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all go out the way we came in.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  10. I actually LIKE the smell of old gas......should be a cologne.

nochop likes this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

How you gonna get it there? I’ve never seen a trailer hitch on a hearse

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Only dislike is the fact that as we grow older the body doesn't keep up with the mind. Then again the reverse of that can't be much better. Yeah, I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I've never seen a trailer hitch on a hearse"
    ... is a line that belongs in a song or in verse
    We can't take it with us when we leave this universe
    And yup, my rheumatism is gettin' a bit worse

Hope everybody had a good Sunday
    LOL

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

A 2 B likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing I don't like, is that I wanted to do more of it. I haven't done NEARLY as much as I thought I was going to.

Getting kind of "late".
    Maybe not too late.
    I'm workin' on it.

1959Nomad likes this.
  15. any time anyone enters the public domain, in any capacity, at a show, in competition, or just driving to the store, in a vehicle that reflects their personal taste (that would be hot rods )' they open themselves to judgement, good or bad, fair or unfair, rational or just bat fuck crazy. Everyone who has ever owned or built or driven old iron in any era has encountered the same stuff, it either makes ya crazy or it don't. however if you're out there it 's just part of the game.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bet everyone that has a car for sale would be more than happy to get these guys behind the wheel and in the hobby. Bob

17. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

The authorities and the stupid regulations they come out with. And I'm in the EU so everything is 10 times more stupid than in the US.

warbird1 likes this.
  18. Old guys in shorts, wear jeans and "T" shirts like the 50's. Look sharp, not vericose.
    Bragging about "How much money they have in their car" . All the cars we admired in the 50's were built for 5G's or less and really hit the mark. Hobby, no it's a profession that keeps us away from yard work.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  19. cpldale

cpldale
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Naples, FL

Sanding bondo......:(

1959Nomad likes this.
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Working on something some slack jaw fuck stick had their hands on, then hearing the piss n moan from the client about how I'm the one costing them so much.

Diff oil smell? That's the sweet smell of an old school junk yard, isn't it? Can't get the smell off your dick beaters? Take a Bic lighter and swiftly move across the effected area. Once done wash with Dawn dish soap. Gone. Works for gas and diesel too, however since we're into this PC-disclosure-accountability society these days, DO NOT DO IT FOR GAS OR DIESEL WHEN YOUR HANDS ARE STILL WET WITH THE SHIT. It's only for the smell.

Hey, I had to for the same reason an iron says not to use it on clothes while worn.

krbstr, warbird1 and The37Kid like this.
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even with urgency issues...
    There is absolutely no way I'm putting a lit Bic lighter anywhere near my particulars if maybe I went to the bathroom and didn't have time to wash my greasy fuel covered smelly hands!!!

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife used to say that she really liked the smell of the oil and grease and stuff in my shop when she'd hang out with me.

Not on the particulars though.

24. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

"Hoarders who never use the parts they hoard" and the only thing worse than a "Hoarder" who never builds anything with the stuff he hoards. Is a "Hoarder" with alot of money :D:D

Barn Hunter and blowby like this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Two things:

Ratcheting out a bolt without paying attention to clearance behind the ratchet. Go to far, can't remove socket or ratchet. Double whammy when you can't get your finger behind the ratchet to switch direction.

Removing a nut & bolt, long thread, wrench on one, ratchet on the other. After a half turn threads loosen up, ratchet no longer ratchets. Remove ratchet and turn by hand. Half turn later threads tighten up again, ratchet goes back on. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

woodsnwater, chopped, vtx1800 and 4 others like this.
  26. guy1unico

guy1unico

Guys that think they are masters of the hobby because they can build a car.
    BS there are plenty of other ways to enjoy the hobby without knowing how to build your own car.
    I built a business while you built a car and now I can buy your car.

Gasser 57 and Elcohaulic like this.
  27. LAROKE

LAROKE

But, they are masters of the hobby and others enjoy the hobby

impala4speed and 1959Nomad like this.
  28. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

An old buddy of mine (RIP) was pretty well known in the V-twin world, Alan Sputhe. He actually built the first aftermarket hot rod V-twin engines from scratch, before S&S, and big-inch Sportsters with heads of his own creation- he even converted a Twin Cam to SOHC just to see if he could do it. Was working on his buddy's '37 Scout vintage roadracer, kept putting bigger valves in it until they got into the cylinders, so he casted up new cylinders with the valve guides moved out a bit. Rules kinda said if it looks stock, run it- so he machined out the inside of the old Indian 3-spd trans, and installed the innards of an XR750 trans. One of those guys that you would listen to and just say damn... So we go to the Antique Motorcycle Club meet at Dixon a few years ago, and they have a big swap meet. We get to a table where the seller has a fish on, has some kind of a machined widget that had come over on the boat with Columbus after being blessed by the Pope blahblahblah, and wanted $250 for it. Alan stopped and got that mischievous grin on his face, and just listened for a while. Poor fish is almost reeled in, when Alan says "Turn that over, there's a scratch on the other side." Seller's face turns white, and got very silent. "A hundred says it's scratched." So now Fish turns it over, and there's the scratch. Alan says "I made that on my Bridgeport in 1974, and the shop kid knocked it off on the floor and scratched it. I threw it in the scrap bin, and somebody must have picked it out of the scrap." End of conversation

29. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not really answering the question about "what's wrong with the hobby" as much as what's wrong with me? It seems like every part I fabricate is 1.0, then....I do 2.0, sometimes that works, but then sometimes there is the need to do part 3.0, all because I didn't plan well enough or see far enough ahead to design what I needed and would work. My neighbor rebuilds wrecked late models, click, click or a phone call and the replacement parts are on the way. Take off the damaged part and replace with new:) The other day he calls and wants some help. The piece that bolts the bumper (well sub bumper?) to the "frame" was tweaked enough that the "bumper" wouldn't fit. I clamped it to the welding table, apply lots of heat from the rosebud, it took two tries but it fit the second time. That's what I like about this hobby, once in a while I can fixed a damaged part:)

30. 33Doll

33Doll

I miss old school Andys picnic type runs my Pops took us to in the 70’s when we were kids, poker Runs, and games, a dance, bands and a Bunch of us kids stealing liquor out of everyones coolers when the adults were dancing at the sock hop. Lol!

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG