Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Angle grinder etiquette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ Top Chop, Feb 9, 2020.

1. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

So I was making relieve cuts in my brake pedal mount so I could change the angle. I had a cut off disc on my 5 inch Milwaukee angle grinder when all of the sudden it caught the material and the disc completely disintegrated and chunks grazed both sides of my face. Unscathed! I'd be surprised if debris is not embedded in the ceiling. My questions are, How do keep ur grinder or cut off tool from jumping off the material? The material was not quite 1/4 inch, maybe too thick for a angle grinder? Do u always cut in the direction the disc is spinning or do u ever go the opposite direction? This is not my first rodeo, I just wanted ur thoughts as I've had this problem a few times, but this one scared me. I ended up using my HF metal saw to finish.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No guard on the grinder? Or is that for wusses? Scare me too.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. To be honest,,,I never use a cutoff disc on my 90 degree grinder,,,tooo dangerous.
    Those pieces can easily get your fingers from the way you hold the body of the air tool.
    I also keep my head away from anywhere near the work as well.
    Be careful man,,,it only takes one time to get you .

Tommy

4. Budget36

Budget36

I do my best to not use cutoff wheels in a grinder, especially with thicker material, when I do I don't take a cut, I go over and over it.

1934coupe and Flathead Dave like this.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was taught by an Old Timer that you cut against the rotation. That way, if it "catches" it will drive the cutting disc back into the groove you have already cut...and if this causes the disc to explode, at least part of the disc will be on the other side of the metal you're cutting.

loudbang, weps, da34guy and 3 others like this.
  6. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

For wusses or dumbasses who like facial scares.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My experience has been that if there are any heavy nicks or gouges on the edge of the disc they are more susceptible to bouncing and/or shattering, can also happen if the disc is at all out of round or not centered on the grinder, keeping them dressed (sharp) with no buildup helps too.

chryslerfan55 and weps like this.
  8. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Yeah, I don't care for my fingers being that close either.

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I never use a cutoff disc in the grinder. I saw a buddy make mince meat out of his hand when one blew up. I have a Metabo for the cutting discs. It has a clutch in it for when the disc catches plus, of course, the guard. The Metabo is expensive, but I feel much safer using it.

ZZ Top Chop likes this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was taught at a body shop when using a cut off wheel ALWAYS lay the grinder on its back . I have a special rack to hang mine on so the disc is never stressed.

11. The don't call them the "Wheel Of DEATH" for nothing

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Two words....face shield. Dont start any rotary tool without one. Your eyes and face will thank you.

13. We’ve nick named them ampu-tool.

It’s important to not bend the disc,
    cut straight, and keep the blade out of the kerf as much as possible. It grabs the sides and then wears the sides just like grinding with it and Don’t use a cut off wheel for grinding- it might not get you while grinding but the next time you pick it up to cut ,,,, that’s when it goes.

I regularly cut 1/2” thick bars with a cut off wheel. But that’s not up under a dash either.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and nochop like this.
  14. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Yeah, I'm really surprised I still have all my digits

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guard on, always. I have fired people for taking them off (they were warned at the time of hire). Make sure the guard is in between the wheel, and you.

Full face shield, always.

16. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I thought I'd wait until I'm coming home from the emergency room to get me a face shield. I wouldn't want to waste a trip. I do need to get one for sure

17. Guards are adjustable for a reason. They should always be adjusted so the are between you and the blade even if you have to keep stopping and adjusting it as you work.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. bct

bct

dont cut stuff under load. whatever force may be on the wheel no matter the direction. if you think that you should be "through this piece by now" stop and reevaluate

clem likes this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hmmm....my face shield deflects pieces of broken wheels from almost hitting my face by design. YMMV.

20. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I appreciate all of you guy's advice. I'll get me a face shield for sure.

21. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I had a regular grinding wheel explode and hit me in the gut. A big bruise and a couple shallow lacerations, was a good learning experience. It didn't have a shield on it.
    So now I use a shield, unless it is impossible, thick leather welding gloves, safety glasses AND a face shield. Plus I strive to stay out if the line of fire if it would explode, especially with my face and sensitive areas.
    I find it is the most stable, most controllable, least likely to grab if I grind with the right side of the wheel with the wheel facing away from me. So it is trying to pull the grinder away from me, not push it towards me. The issue then is the sparks coming towards me, which can be controlled somewhat by positioning. Plus anchor the tool by putting part of my hand, against the work piece. Then there is always the issue of awkward positions. Can I get my little cut-off air tool/die grinder, or a sawsall in better?

I love this hobby, and I love wrenching on my old cars, but none of it is worth getting blinded, dying, or other severe injury. Safety first.

Dusty-NZ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

But it doesn't make for a good story. How'd u get that eye patch? Or what's with the cut off wheel sticking out of your forehead? Lesson learned! Promise

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Now, I did have welding gloves on, I don't want to ruin my chances of a career in hand modeling.

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Practice, and a good vice

25. Disintegration of your hoodie pockets is inevitable.

Someone should invent a grinder guard that you can see thru.

26. noboD

noboD

They make lexan guards, but the sparks keep you from seeing anyway. Follow Hotrodjack33's advice. I have cut off lots of steel with them, even up to 1 inch thick. Metabo makes the best wheels.

hotrodjack33 and clem like this.
  27. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you watch any of the car shows nobody has a guard on their grinder or any safety gear. I wonder if they'll show it when a disc explodes?

G-son, chopped and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  28. I almost took pictures of scars but I'll spare you fellas lol. Mine is named widow maker ;) treat him with respect or he WILL hurt you.

chryslerfan55, nochop and ZZ Top Chop like this.
  29. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

. I was thinking the same thing. Ian Roussel cuts with a angle grinder a lot!

30. trollst

trollst

What you all missed, BUY GOOD QUALITY DISCS, the cheap ones are attractive in the farm store and last seconds in use, a good disc will last much longer and less likely to come apart. Ask me how I know.......got one in the gut a couple years ago, was quite a surprise.