Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you been guilty of buying parts for a car you hope to build someday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 7, 2020.

1. I'm fortunate that I have two running & driving cars in the garage and just recently sold my '50 Ford but not having a project setting in the shop just seems odd.

I certainly hope I am not the only one that will admit to falling victim if given the opportunity to buy a part or parts at a reasonable price for a dream rattling around in the back of mind but it's not in the foreseeable future.

I bought a set of steelies this afternoon and I realize I was thinking about the future build but in all reality they would work on just about anything I would build and the set of gauges I bought at the last swap meet could be used in myriad of projects.

I have also been looking around the garage & barn to gather up a truckload of parts for the next swap me and I came to the realization I have almost enough parts to start another project, lacking a body.

I really don't know what my next hot rod will be and to be honest I am not beating the bushes looking but I do have my eyes open. :) HRP

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Hurley50, -Brent-, neverdun and 5 others like this.
  2. If i look at it that way, I've got a lot of cars yet to come :D

Boryca, tuckpoint, OahuEli and 4 others like this.
  3. But....I thought that was the way it was done..:confused:
    I have 2 garages and a barn full of stuff I probably will never use.

-Brent-, OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  4. Someone find Danny a body...

-Brent-, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. crap yea
    if its cool, cheap and the kids aint starvin

-Brent-, OahuEli, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

guilty! Lots of 40 parts I may never use-Oh well
    Have two dashes restored complete,a std and dlx NOS grill (not Drake), several restored clusters with senders etc and lot more too-better find another 40 I think--looking!

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

I usually buy all the parts I will need when they come available. then wait until I get in the mood to install all of it.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You need to have a project to buy parts? News to me!

tuckpoint, -Brent-, chiro and 9 others like this.
  9. Parts and complete cars for projects I don't need. And cool wall art or yard art or something I could use at the farm or etc etc. I got a problem.

10. upspirate

upspirate

Been buying and saving parts to build a coupe similar to my avatar for about 25 years now.
    Life changes, Not going to happen and I need to start getting rid of that stuff

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Danny, I thought for sure your next build would be your old F100 you got hid away in the barn.

12. Was absolutely certain i was going to be in an early Riviera. Bought lowering springs heads trans and some interior parts. Never happened.
    Have been selling the parts ever since. Still have the springs and assorted steering column parts.

13. Yep, that's me.
    Bought all these project 40 coupe parts over the years, then bought a turn key car. Now I need to sell the project! DUH.
    Same for my 33 coupe.

14. Believe me, I thought eventually I would get around to rebuilding that truck, I always liked it but when my grandson was here during the Christmas Holidays he ask me if I would sell it to him I didn't give it a second thought and I gave it to him with the condition he would keep it. HRP

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guilty. `I bought a 5 speed to go behind the engine in my then front wheel drive daily driver for the day that I pulled that engine out of that car and put it in a small light weight rear wheel drive chassis. The daily got totaled by a garbage truck and I haven't pulled the engine yet nor have I found a chassis.
    I bought a 1919 Buick cowl at a swap meet just because it was for sale for 10 bucks one time. That will probably be on the trailer headed to a swap meet in May though. I bought my Flathead long before I bought the Model A body and frame to put it in. The deal came up and my buddy knew I was looking for one. the list could probably go on for a full page If I remembered everything.

16. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Yes I have been buying parts for a 32 5 window for the last 4 years.

17. Nope. Parts for something I ain't building at the time just takes money out of my pocket for the current build. If I buy a part, I'm using it right now, not sometime/maybe/might be, future builds. When current build is done, parts not used are sold for the cash to buy new parts for the next new current project.

18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Guilty as charged !!

19. Yep, Im always looking for cool bits and pieces for another custom i will build someday.

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes, then realizing not going to use, sell at a loss to maintain my buy high sell low program to keep volume going. Forsite 0, hindsite 100%

mgtstumpy, alanp561, waxhead and 8 others like this.
  21. The way I see it, if the price is reasonable I will buy it for later. Because later, the price will be unreasonable. Or unobtainable.

22. Im pretty close to having enough parts to put together a A frame roller chassis Someone GAVE me a 27 coupe title that I reactivated so its a matter of finding a body .Then theres the 55 Chevy pile.If the price is good I just buy.

23. When I was in high school in the '50's I had a friend who owned a junkyard. Every time I had enough money, I would buy an Olds engine. I got a good job during the summer of my junior year in high school and brought home about 50 bucks a week. By the end of summer, I had 4 Olds engines, all kinds of multi-carb manifolds, a roller cam. chrome valve covers and who knows what. I was ready for the build. Unfortunayely, I never used any of it and ended up selling it at a loss to pay for gas money. Sure was fun buying it though.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nope. I only buy for what I have at the time. Haven't even been able to do that in a while.

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

I sure have. I started buying parts for my final full build many years ago. Four Halibrands, an Olds rear end, B&M hydro, 324 Olds engine, Weiand drag star 6x2, ‘32 rails. All I needed was a ‘29 roadster body and a title. Two years ago I bought a running, driving ‘28 on ‘32 rails, drove it for a year or so and now it’s underway. Hopefully by the end of this year I’ll finally have my clone of the Sam Conrad roadster. Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Duh..........

3W JOHN and 302GMC like this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

If the part of your dream shows up at the swap meet, what are you going to do? Walk away?

28. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I certainly have. I don't anymore. It takes cash out of my pocket for things I need NOW and space in my garage/shed. These days if I don't have a specific plan for a part I own for a vehicle I own, that part can go. I used to dream of having numerous old cars, but I find it hard to complete 2 and keep a few more daily type cars running. Just don't have the patience for it.

Now if I happened to run across a 63-65 327 mechanical injection setup complete and reasonably priced....

Devin

29. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Really, don't we all.....