Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33’ (4) Interior Wood

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33Doll, Jan 24, 2020.

1. People tend to forget back in the day before the internet, Hot Rod TV shows, How to metal work books, seminars, etc. people did what they had to do to keep them on the road..no professional people displaying their flawless metal work to aspire to, not to mention tools that only professional shops had, that today many of us have in our home shops.
    That car is cool, it wouldn't bother me a bit to have found those previous repairs..in fact I'd have expected it.
    A lot of our builds today take it to the opposite extreme..not that that is a bad thing, but more to a nod at how we have evolved in this hobby, with standards far exceeding home repairs of the past, and in some cases professional shops.
    Thanks for posting your build.

Chief 64, Texas57, 343w and 2 others like this.
  2. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks Bud!
    You bring up a good point about all these pro guys, and how to’s.
    What I’m trying to do, is kind of a compromise really, do some decent repairs, but not go over the top. Just share with others, kind pay it forward, what I learn. If I get to crazy, the car will never be done. plus I work full-time, so I can only do a few hours here and there, once or twice a week. It’s supposed be fun, not a chore right?

I did get sidetracked a little bit yesterday, the door hinges were sprung from the suicide doors opening up. It was bugging me so I fixed that. I should’ve shared how I did it, using the old rod through all three hinges trick.
    Torch and hammer, wasn’t pretty.

IMG_8427.JPG IMG_8428.JPG IMG_8433.JPG

3. 6sally6

6sally6

427 SOHC.png

THIS!!!! would look right-at-home in that lil panel wagon! Man I like those suicide/"see-more" doors. Sweeeet
    6sally6

nunattax likes this.
  4. Dirk35

Dirk35

33Doll,
    Good to see that you decided to repair it properly. Mac's Antique Auto carries most of the patch panels that you will need.

If it makes you feel better, both my 1934 Sedan and my Model A Sedan are repo replacement patch panels all the way around.

If you scroll in, you can see I haven't finish welded the patches on the 34 yet because I switched over to tackling the patches on the Model A. Oh yeah, I also have just a two car garage, but at least I get to use both spaces. The 34 will get the fenders back onto it eventually, just have a lot of other issues with it that I need to address first. 1934 Ford Sedan 1.jpg

Quarter Patch Panels 2.jpg

Attached Files:

33Doll likes this.
  5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The safety latches they make for suicide doors are a great addition. I witnessed a fiberglass '34 Coupe that had the door pop open at 65 mph. It completely destroyed the drivers side of the car from the B pillar back.

33Doll likes this.
  6. 33Doll

33Doll

Cool sedan Dirk!
    [

I do have the patch panels for the outside, but I got a build the inside it’s rotten all the way to the frame
    rail
    IMG_8067.JPG

ATTACH=full]4569767[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

7. 33Doll

33Doll

Fixed the drivers door that was sprung! Straightened the hinges and the sheet metal that got bent, also lined the door up, and got the latch to actually work even though it’s wore out,
    so now I can work on the patch panel! IMG_8441.JPG IMG_8442.JPG IMG_8443.JPG IMG_8444.JPG

8. 33Doll

33Doll

9. 33Doll

33Doll

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

You did an awesome job aligning your doors! Can I take my 34 up to you so you can re-align mine also? ;)

Just a heads up, you'll probably have to separate the body from the frame to re-build the sub rails. Looking at how (not) bad yours are rusted (not that bad actually), you shouldn't need repo sub rails, you should just be able to cut out the rusted out sections and form the patches yourself. But your door alignment will change during this process, so mentally prepare yourself to get them back into alignment.

Oh yeah, like woodiewagon46 suggested, I also suggest to put the safety latches in.

33Doll likes this.
  11. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

LOVE THEM THIRTY THREE SEDANS!

33Doll likes this.
  12. All your rear window wood is good except the lower drivers side make a pattern and saw a piece and you'll be set.