Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. No, I bought mine from Classtech out of Bend Oregon. He is an in house builder himself. A little pricy but not what I remember thinking over priced. I could dig up my invoice if you want. Price would be about 5 years old. What I will say is he totally got what I was up to. FE with an Alt and external Reg. I wanted to mount the Reg in the stock 57 location. I'm also running electronic Ign that takes a full 12-V. Then a 58 column with the horn wire that doesn't run down the steering shaft. He made the reg harness with correct plug and exact length to travel to my Alt and also with the factory Alt rubber unit with the plugs to cover the fasteners. He supplied a new 57 Block mounted stock resister for Ign only did a blind bypass so it only looked correct but passed the 12-V as needed. Also he asked about my senders being I hadn't mentioned them and added correct length so to go to the FE location (I would have missed that at the time). I remember I had a few other things he did that slip my mind right now. The real bonus was with all the one off mod's he did for me he didn't charge me 5 cents more than a stock harness. Having every instrument light in new sockets, my heater controls with correct terminals, everything correct length and not one single Butt Connector or Crimp terminal has to have some extra value and at the time I didn't mind paying the bump. I'd do it all over again today. On top of all that his service was spot on with a follow up call a week later to make sure what I got was what I expected, Who does that today?

Gotgas, enloe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff, oh yeah 410 would be killer also..." but they are waaaay out of the stratosphere for me" . hear ya on that one for sure.. going be a neat car.. thank you for sharing with us. cheers Rob

Stogy, enloe, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

P-n-B....... Send me a PM with the info.. interesting!

enloe and loudbang like this.
  4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Very nice and informative build. This is going to be an outstanding ride. I must however, tell you that I am so friggin jealous.:)

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And grind continues.... My pal Tom has the hood and odd pieces nearly finished and had some primer shot to prevent any flashing.. and at home just fitting sheet metal and other stuff.... just been busy with daily life and work.

IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1468.jpg IMG_1469.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

cover prime... no bodywork as of yet...

IMG_1492.jpg IMG_1493.jpg

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

... just fitting body panels, getting alignment started......

The Struggle is real. IMG_1503.jpg

9. ^^^^^^
    I understand. :)

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A real Nothing kind of update.... Sheet metal is all together..., just getting it to fit.... Waiting upon a boatload of rubber and weatherstrip parts to arrive... Been so busy with work.. hard to get into the shop below... but... progress will happen....
    I could be working on the other 57.. but, at a weak moment.I let my wife store her car in the shop...
    To quote the Great Peter Wolf...."Love Stinks"

haha....... ugh...... IMG_1531.jpg

mgtstumpy, pwschuh, alfin32 and 11 others like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

Loving that hood! The whole car is looking real good. That must have been a big task to get the underside of that hood so clean.

loudbang, Stogy, Jeff Norwell and 2 others like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

got it made

-Brent- and Jeff Norwell like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes.. yes that was.... ugh.

ffr1222k, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just like the 50's Bro hahahah

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Peace at home makes life easier. Haha
    Coming along really nice Jeff.

17. Happy wife, happy life.

Anyway, what is your source for weatherstripping?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I used Carpenter stuff.... After much research..... they seem to have all the same stuff as other suppliers....Obsolete,Drake,etc,etc...
    I looked closely at SteeleRubber..and their prices were 20-30% more on certain items.... But,.... I chose to go to one place and keep it all from one vendor.
    Carpenters were great on the phone,courteous, prompt and nice to deal with.

Weatherstrip and rubber is not cheap.......

loudbang, Sky Six, 1oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  19. I have mostly Carpenter rubber on my car, even buying it from another site, it ships direct from Carpenter.

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  20. Years ago I had a '49 Ford and bought weatherstrip from Carpenter. I was very pleased with the product. They were the go-to-guys for Ford rubber at the time. I didn't know if that was still true or not.

21. {quote ." but, at a weak moment. I let my wife store her car in the shop."..} Be thankful that your shop is large enough. Mine is just a 2 car & I have 3 cars+ the truck & the wifes car. Hers gets in the house garage along with one car , but no work is to be done in there.

22. Also be warned that Steele doesn't make a 100% of their own rubber, it says it somewhere on their website. But what the website DOESN'T tell you is which products they are. I bought the windshield rubber for the '41 pu from Steele and it was really from Carpenter, when I called I got an "oh well" on the major price difference...it was still cheaper for me to pay to ship it back and order a new one from Carpenter. They MIGHT tell you over the phone when ordering that way, but my experience was online.

They have great products and I might order from them again (at least through a vendor), but I feel they need to tell you what products aren't theirs.....they don't need to disclose the real manufacture but at least tell you it's not them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

A very timely answer, I have to get all new window rubber for mine. Thank you so much .

24. Steele will have oddball stuff that nobody else carries.

These guys are pretty good too. They had the best $$ on the fuzzies for my car.
    https://www.frpartsstore.com/

Jeff Norwell, loudbang and Sky Six like this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hey Guys..... been a while since I have done any updates... With the world upside down... it's been a struggle... work completely died in mid March(picking up now....) So as like everyone else... you need to adjust and stay calm.. new adjustments in life.Since I work alone(for the last 30 years...It really wasn't an issue.. but socially.. it's been a strange one.

Anyhow.. Been working on the 57.. slowly plugging away.

The rear spare tire well was a mess(like many)... there must have been 1 inch in bondo and a mesh material holding it together.... and as I was under the car(which seemed to be an eternity) I needed to replace it.I found that on a 57 Meteor( that i grabbed parts from) it's spare tire well was perfect!!!
    This in its self was a miracle!
    So I cut it out, removed the excess Flange,drilled out the spot weld and cleaned it up.
    I then attacked the one on my car.. it was truly ugly.... but it came out and I then cleaned its flange area.....
    The plan was to bond it in... so thats what I did.
    The old exhaust was still in place so I cut all that out as well.... made it much easier to scrap,grind and attack the underside.This is the WORST job ever.
    My other 57 is not even close to the mess that was under this 57.... so much undercoating... in some places 2 inches think.I would curse the person who applied it in the past... but in hindsight.... it save the car in critical areas..... still.. a nightmare to remove.

Had to get the bird off the ground so. wheel cribs were in order as well.....

The donor unit.

60907681155__DAAD6C6F-E746-469C-9016-5A25B2D339B9.jpg 60910421436__879D6CCD-AC8D-4E53-99F0-EF822C3EACB6.jpg IMG_2746.jpg 60916044622__DCBB83E2-7457-4983-8355-E4760812847A.jpg

enloe, loudbang, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The old one coming out in pieces..... and then cleaning, straightening the flange and mating areas...
    The old tire well was N A S T Y.

60910245901__DD7BE7FC-D57E-4855-BD96-0F855BC2C271.jpg 60910419146__B9FA4403-14CB-41B0-92F8-D17FDE173DDA.jpg

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bonded in and fitted tight..(now dry and I will clean a bit more and use some seam sealer.)

IMG_E3101.jpg

Hamtown Al, enloe, bobss396 and 4 others like this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Brakes lines and such

IMG_E3122.jpg IMG_2691.jpg IMG_3040.jpg IMG_E3121.jpg

Todd553, enloe, OahuEli and 7 others like this.