Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Use of zip ties

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Almostdone, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Well, some have serrations that sound like a zipper when tightening them, other do not.

I use them where needed. That said, I think if I had the ability to build a car I wanted in the GNRS/or any type of show-car, I'd not use them where they'd be seen.

Basically what I mean is, I'll never stop using them:)

clem likes this.
  2. engineering specs.
    two zip ties equal a bolt.
    three zip ties equal a weld.
    ;):D

3. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Old shoe & sneaker laces here. Jack E/NJ

nochop likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like to get the colored ones in the jug at Walmart. If I'm running a set of wires, say tail lights, I can use the same color all the way back. Most of my wires go into flex loom, but some areas it's better to just leave them exposed so they get the color coordinated treatment.

I got a big bundle from the telephone company when I bought one of their old trucks. They were definitely single use, they had a steel gripper in them, you pull them tight and they weren't coming off unless you cut them off. They were about 3 times as thick as the others, too. Over the years I used them in places where I had something heavy I didn't want moving around.

5. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ziggster, where do you get those clips?

6. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Installed a ton of those over the years at American. Used a Ty-Wrap gun most of the time. We were only allowed to use them in the pressurized areas. Non-pressurized areas (wheel wells, wings, tail) had to be secured with wax chord.

7. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Oh yeah, that's a different story! I absolutely have them in my tool kit. Bailing wire too!

nochop likes this.
  8. Having a brittle problem??..........Look hard for the made in the USA ties! Harder and harder to find, but I've not had the brittle problem with them I have with the made in China crap. I think the last USA made ones I found were at Tractor Supply, or Gebo's. Like everything else those farm/ranch supply stores sell, much better quality than the Home depots and Lowes.
    I've also used a lot of the stainless steel ones. Harbor Freight sells them, but in one size only. 14"(?)

sidevalve8ba and Truck64 like this.
  9. deucemac

deucemac

Panduit makes an excellent ty-rap gun. I have used them when I worked aircraft and still do on my wiring for automobiles. Ty-rap guns are adjustable for the size of the wrapp and cut right at the lock, keeping from jagged edges caused by using wire cutters. I only use Panduit because the tool trucks sell the plastic one that break. I find used Panduit guns on Ebay, usually at good prices. Over the years a couple of mine mysteriouslyrics grew legs and dissappeared.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You can fix that. If the ties are made of nylon the water in them out gases as they get old. Soak them in water for a couple days and they are good as new.

11. HalleysRevenge

HalleysRevenge

Finnegan gots some ideas....about lotsa stuff lol

12. squirrel

squirrel

They put my car on the shirt for the event, but I don't use zip ties on the car. Good for a chuckle.

zip.jpg

13. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

bchctybob likes this.
  14. Oldb

Oldb

Round head Panduit with the steel tang. Best out there. Price reflects the quality.

B

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Up here they are referred to as Zap Straps, nothing shocking about them though...

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guilty. I probably use more than I need to. Quite often to hold something temporarily until I get it set up he way I want it.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I use them for sex. Keeps her thumbs tied together.

18. Ziggster

Ziggster

Unfortunately, the site is from the UK.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/65

They actually have lots of nice stuff. The "original" car I want to recreate used many buckle clips as seen in the pic below. Richard Scaldwell really tried hard to keep things "period" correct on his GN JAP recreation.

image.jpeg

Paul likes this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I still like to use steel tie wire.

squirrel likes this.
  20. Zip ties hold all kinds of stuff together quite well. You can make them 1000 feet long if you needed to. Panduit makes some nice accessories too. Like stick tabs and There’s ties with labels, ties with screw hole mounting tabs, big ones, little ones, long ones and short ones.

I really thought Everyone knew the plug wire separator trick, like the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west- nope. It seems a black art to those who’ve not seen it.

stanlow69 likes this.

21. Been doin that 4 years, ez peezy.

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Sometimes I put the steel tie wire inside clear plastic hose. They had that back in the 60s.. I remember this old timer using it on his Willy's Gasser back in the 60s... It had a nice Olds mill with a racing Hydro built by a local called Sweeny..

cactus1 likes this.
  23. I use 'em. I try to avoid using them to hold important things on like transmissions and bumpers and they make lousy exhaust hangers.

Lots of times I make my own wiring harness or modify the original to suit me. I will often use wire ties (I remember buying Ty-raps and that was what my dad called them) to bundle specific groups of wires before I *tape my harness.

*many people consider a tape wrapped wiring harness to be my trademark. I do it because the cars I started with had tape wrapped harnesses. ;)

Alaska Jim, bchctybob and squirrel like this.
  24. Rich S.

Rich S.

HF stainless ties. I use them for stainless brake lines from frame up to MC. Keeps the two lines close together.
    Round the tip off after cutting...razor sharp. IMG_3478.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil'Alb likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

Like 'beaner, I tape harnesses. Usually I use non-adhesive vinyl tape, like GM used for a few decades (50s-80s). but sometimes for fun I use friction tape, when I'm feeling real traditional.

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I used to use plain old black vinyl tape, then I found some old looking perforated split loom. It looks like the old cloth covering, but it stretches and retains it's shape. Doesn't look like that ribbed modern stuff, either. This place has it, and the old asphalt covered loom as well. https://kwikwire.com/loom-and-shrink-tube/

27. squirrel

squirrel

That's neat stuff, if you're building a street rod. So, I don't use it. :)

28. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have a roll of black, flat string that my father-in-law gave me 15 years ago. It's what he used to tie wires when he was doing radio repair for the Navy in WWII! (He was not a rodder, but like a lot of us he never threw anything away.)

29. safetythird

safetythird

Instead of cutting if you twist the end off with a pair of pliers you'll end up with no sharp edge.

We used them everywhere at the olde satellite factory.

30. One other use here in Oklahoma, land of the circular winds, I have used the 24" long "heavy duty" ones to put a panel of privacy fence up temporarily after a blow down. Had to keep the varmits out and the pups in. I probably should check to see if I ever fixed it.