Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5trans to flathead ford v8

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by robert graves, Jan 31, 2020.

1. robert graves

robert graves

Is there a company out there that has a diaphragm style pressure plate that bolts up to an original 1946 model flathead ford flywheel to use a hyd. Throw bearing

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I plan to eventually replace the Merc-o-matic in my '51 with a T5. I wouldn't mind some info too.

3. robert graves

robert graves

Check with Cornhusker rod and custom ,at 402-749-1932 they have info and parts.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I would call Fort Wayne Clutch and ask for Lou.

Hamtown Al likes this.

5. Redrill the flywheel to take a different later diaphragm cover?

ted kovacs and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. irishsteve is Spot On. You can't get custom hard parts that fail when your out of town on Vacation and that's the only time they Fail.

Mr48chev and sidevalve8ba like this.
  7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are direct replacement diaphragms for some early Ford (Long) bolt patterns. Check with NAPA or a good clutch re-builder/supplier.

8. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1986 Ford Bronco Pressure Plate 10"

9. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

As above, the '86 Bronco/F150 10" pressure plate will bolt on the flathead flywheel but be advised that you can't use the large ford flathead throw out bearing. You must figure out a way to use the smaller throw out bearing that matches the pressure plate.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Have you Bronco-plated guys found a diaphragm type bearing that fits on the flathead style bearing carrier? Or maybe one that can be fit to it with a little whittling or a bushing?

11. loboymusic

loboymusic

question: Will I have to move the perches on my new 51 merc-o-matic rear end to fit on my 50 merc?

12. Sounds like your talking about both a Trans swap and also a rear Axle housing. What does one have to do with the other? If need be you just change rear gear ratio don't ya? That generally does not include the rear housing.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

51 Merc is open drive. I'm not sure what the gear ratio was for the automatic but it shouldn't be hard to find out. As long as you don't swap rear axles life is good and you just have to have a driveshaft made to fit between the transmission and rear axle. I ran my old 51 Merc (old as in I don't own it anymore) with the stock rearend and a 350 Buick and turbo 350 for a couple of years back in the late 70's early 80's. That was an overdrive car so it had pretty stiff gears in the rear to run with a turbo 350. It pulled my 15 ft Camp trailer great though.

14. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

3.31 for the Mercomatic.3.91 for the standard 3 sp trans.4.27 is another I know about.Apparently there are 5.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Hamtown Al and Casey Riley like this.
  15. I find it very strange how many Car Guys will swap out a complete rear Axle using a used Junk Yard salvaged unit but never consider changing just the Ring and Pinion in the one that already fits and works. What's up with that? There are more than 2 gear ratio's that fit the Merc carrier.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old thread but the simple answer is the difference in $$$$$ It isn't hard to put a thousand or more into a ring and pinion swap.