Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Use of zip ties

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Almostdone, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don’t shoot me just yet for starting a thread about zip ties...

I noticed quite a few cars at GNRS last week looked period correct except for their use of plastic zip ties on their wiring. It really bugged me so I looked into it. What we now refer as zip ties were invented in 1958 and the same company still sells them (Ty-rap invented by Maurus C. Logan of the Thomas and Betts company in Memphis, TN).

So how many of you use them on your cars?

‘Now pull the trigger or gently lower the hammer as you see fit.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. They can make nice wire looms, they can however be used to excess. 68BEF0FA-1857-4948-A52F-0078BD2470B0.jpeg

3. I use them but sparingly. They can be handy to tidy up things like wiring, but are also somewhat of a temporary solution since they can get brittle and break over time. I also work for a construction equipment manufacturer and we use them with that same thought process on new equipment. The looks of them don't bother me much as long as they aren't overused. Interesting that they have been around since the late 50's. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. I use them, I don't have the patience to use string/twine and make it look beautiful, so zip ties around the wiring and then electrical tape. HRP

5. And, I have done the exact same as scotty t above. :D A guy taught me that trick back when I was in high school.

61Cruiser, da34guy, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  6. Scotty t,
    Very clever,,,,and they do the job,,,,keeping the wires apart to prevent arcing.
    Good idea.

Tommy

7. Guilty, but I cover the whole mess with woven fabric split loom.

scotty t likes this.
  8. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

In auto class in the 70s one teacher didn't like them for ignition wires. He said people were so concerned with making wires parallel and pretty then having misfire from inductive pickup one wire next to another one.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

bchctybob, clem and egads like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I cover the wire with fabric cover also.

It seams to me the zip ties have gotten brittle, you pull them tight and they break.

clem likes this.
  10. Heck yeah i use them. Use the white ones where they can't be seen, like under the dash, and the black ones under the hood, they kinda blend in.

11. Ziggster

Ziggster

I was actually wondering about this the last week. When I looked at my recently purchased vintage Allen Syncrograph (1948+), the wires were secured with what appears to be a simple string. What did they use on cars from that era and prior?
    image.jpeg

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

I carry a bundle of them in my car for emergency purposes, you know, in case the last ones I used for the last emergency, break also.

I believe that if you need to resort to looking for zip ties to find fault with my stuff, you really need to look into getting glasses. Its much easier to find incorrect things on my stuff then having to look that hard.

I do try to limit the number of zip ties on my stuff to around 100. There are too many things they just don't work for.

Smile! Spring is coming! Gene

13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I try not to use them on my old cars. Sometimes I will if they're not visible.

14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Cable lacing.

Once you get going, it’s pretty quick to do.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

weps, warbird1 and Ziggster like this.
  15. years ago a guy that hung around my shop worked at a place that made those zip ties the cops use for handcuffs. He'd bring a couple big bundles over when he wanted to trade for some labor. Talk about overkill, you could use those things to hobble a rhino. Big problem was the color. Any color you wanted, as long as it was orange.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Zip ties, like every other hardware item, come in a wide variety of price ranges and materials. Yes, they are all 'plastic' but not all plastics are created equal.

Ray

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I did a twine wrap on my head light wires that run down the frame rail but once I got under the dash for all the wiring I used zip ties, the only reason I did was that the inside of the car is so small I could not get into it to do a twine wrap. I told my self that I wasn't going to use them because I have a 1950 cut off date for the parts. I guess it's better than wires flopping around. image.jpg

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used them in power plants as soon as they let us stop wax string looming. Whites rot and break and black seem to last forever out of the light. I always turn them so the ty point is behind and not seen. Cutting them with dykes (side cutters for you PC guys) will cut you as they leave a sharp edge.

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I grind the side cutters thin on a belt sander, and it makes "flush cutters", no sharp tabs.

20. Ziggster

Ziggster

Thanks for the vid. You learn something new everyday. I agree that the use of zip ties doesn't really look that great IMHO if over used. I think I'll try the lace method and some simple aluminum or steel "P" and buckle clips.
    image.jpeg

weps, nochop, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.

21. Perhaps I am just tired but I have not figured that out. Looks good.

Ben

22. You just use one that loops over all the wires, then put one between each plug wire looping it around the main one that sort of pulls it together and creates spacers to keep the wires apart. It takes four total zip ties to do what holds the four wires apart in scotty t’s example not including the two others where he is just retaining two wires.

scrap metal 48 and da34guy like this.
  23. I stole that idea from buddy who stole it from a buddy who..........

24. Oh yeah,,,,,the old R E O help tip.
    Heard it from a friend,,,,who heard from a friend,,,,,,heard it from another.
    LoL.
    At least it works,,,,,and it’s a good tip .

Tommy

scotty t and guthriesmith like this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have a zip tied holding my bundle of zip ties together.

weps, Early Ironman, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I use them exclusively to keep my Zips bundled...

scotty t, nochop and Turnipseed like this.
  27. 34Larry

34Larry

I wrote I use them very sparingly myself and hide them the best I can, (and it didn't post). I use black ones 3/16's wide.:cool:

28. Wouldn't take a road trip with out them !

29. I have always called them tie wraps; never zip ties. Is that an age thing or maybe a regional thing?

nochop, jimmy six and Hnstray like this.
  30. You posted it on the garage tips Larry :D