Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>> FRIDAY ART SHOW 1/31/20 <<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Good morning HAMB

200126amilcar.jpg

Done it last Sunday at Glen Ewin. Always dug Animal-cars. Drew her out, added abstracted locality.

Acrylic on canvas

2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Haulin' A$$ on the FAS! (with stuff from the past!) It's a GAS!!!

Alpha_003a.jpg 32_Deuce_on_a_Loop_4web.jpg COFFINESQUE_2_4web.jpg Blue_31_Coupe_4web.jpg Blue_Low_Slung_Rdstr_01.jpg High_Flyer_Deuce_01a.jpg switchbladebabe-02b.jpg

4. Killer work Steve!

Animal, robber and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Pieces parts of a fellow HAMBer's drawing in progress.

WIP_detail_01_4web.jpg WIP_detail_02_4web.jpg

6. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

7. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’sa Pissah!
    7679C324-1A9D-4CBB-A1E4-A64531BE641F.jpeg SPD/WK/“11

tgiff...goodbye January!

Vonzemo, Animal, sololobo and 29 others like this.
  8. Wassup, Mark??
    Here's a little doodle I did while eating my lunch at work last week. 34art2.jpg

9. Frogz

Frogz

Great show guys, always cool to see your awesome artwork !!!!!

[​IMG]

pwschuh, Vonzemo, Animal and 33 others like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Artist and Tattooist Evan Daines [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Something to ease the winter doldrums.......

HAMB.jpg

12. kool 52

kool 52

My brother & I hand paint whatever we can get our hands on for auction pieces for our clubs Reliability Run.This year rccrc decided to donate all proceeds from auction to fire relief after the devastating fires that ripped through our country[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tim, David Gersic, pwschuh and 50 others like this.
  13. A couple of old ones from me this week. Working on some new commission pieces this weekend!
    DFBC302D-C108-4A3E-9EAC-4EC53AC7CEC4.jpeg

52C3C66A-E3A6-4C95-8643-A71D03B409EF.jpeg

David Gersic, pwschuh, Frogz and 33 others like this.
  14. Vonzemo, Lil32, sololobo and 20 others like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-31_4-10-18.png Bixby Knolls Henry J

Hello,

The Bixby Knolls part of Long Beach has a long history of hot rods and drag race cars from the early coupes cruising down the avenue to the drive-in restaurant on the major intersection of the whole area. These scenes have been going on for what seems like forever. It was based on the teenagers that went to the local high school (Long Beach Poly HS) that has been in Long Beach since 1897, but there was only one graduating senior in the beginning. That was definitely a different time period.

The physical campus started in 1898 and has grown to what it is today in its final location in 1911. It has come a long way to the current 4000+ students. Not all students were involved with hot rods and drag racing. But, for some reason, this part of Long Beach (Bixby Knolls) did involve a lot of high school guys and girls in those teenage pursuits. Sports? sure, it has a well known history back to the early years.

In talking with some older guys (older than me) and knowing the past history of Bixby Knolls from my friend’s parents, the hot rod tradition has been going on since we were not in elementary school. That is a long time ago ! Ha!

The teenager era has come and gone, but there are times that stand out in our hot rod drag race history. One event was the building of a cool looking Henry J for cruising. What? no drag racing at Lions Dragstrip? We were involved in drag racing since 1957, but not all hot rod guys/girls were drag racing fanatics. Sometimes the hot rod build got the person involved in cruising and drag racing. Other times, it was built in to the teenager from association with friends and forays to nearby Lions on Saturday nights. So, what made this build different?

Jnaki

The thing with this Henry J was the big 409 motor. It had aluminum panels in the whole interior, two bucket seats, a 4 speed and a narrowed Chevy rear axle/4:11 gears. The headers ran under the body, into the tube muffler system. The ride was slightly on a rake as the front end would come up with the full throttle pedal. But, during our rides around the cruising area, it was on a "mean looking" lowered rake. We never knew how much horsepower it had, but upon acceleration, it was faster than the 58 Impala with the mods we did after our drag racing days. (It was not faster than our 671 SBC Willys Coupe)

My friend was kind of a shy guy and did not feel he was ready for the action at Lions Dragstrip. He was content to go to the drive-in restaurant parking lot and do the normal Friday/Saturday teenager bantering. Did he race on Cherry Avenue? It took him a long time to do an actual race. But, we did practice a lot, just in case something came up and we could not turn away.

He was comfortable with the weekend acceleration runs late into the night. He might have done some on his own, but never mentioned it to us. I could get the 58 Impala with the C&O Stick Hydro version off of the starting line faster than his 4 speed stick Henry J. I knew my limitations and could shut off with bright brake lights showing before the Henry J whipped by me around the 1/8th mile. A win is a win…

Then, the Easter Vacation (Spring Break) came along and our cruise was to go to the Newport Beach/Balboa area for some fun times. It was a long drive and in those minimal bucket seats, it was not as comfortable as the Impala. But, who wouldn’t want to go in a modified Henry J, just because…? He was afraid of ruining the cheater slicks on the back, on this long coastal drive. We knew the cheater slick sales guy, so all was well. If anyone was behind us, it would have looked like a race car driving on the streets, lights and all. Those wide slicks fit under and inside of the rear wheel well, so no CHP tickets on our cruises.

As things would have it, there was a race against a JAG XKE with a big loping Chevy motor and dual quads. The SBC/Jag had just dusted off several hot 55 and 57 Chevy sedans locally, near the Merle’s Drive-In spot in Newport Beach. The guy was older and kept at my friend to race for money. We had about $25 dollars between us and that was for gas/food. It was looking bleak. Finally, since it was going to be the first official race for my friend, he wanted me to drive and race. We drove out to the Westminster Naval Depot for the empty street race. The Jaguar/SBC guy did not care it was a drive, he knew he was going to win some money. For us, it was on the way home to Bixby Knolls.

At the empty darkened street, the other SBC/Jag driver said no to me driving and I was to be the starter. My friend was nervous, but we went over how the start would be and remembered the practice runs on Cherry Avenue. He was very shaky, but after the SBC/Jag guy said something, my friend was pumped up. He lost the first race when he missed a shift, won the 2nd easily and won the third race by two car lengths. We won the Jag guy’s money and had some gravy/french fries at our own Bixby Knolls drive-in parking lot, later. The SBC/Jag guy drove off in a huff.

This Henry J drawing and story, keeps reminding me of those great, teenage times in that small powerful street cruiser/racer. Thanks for those memories...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    plan9, David Gersic, Vonzemo and 18 others like this.
  16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Kool 52: awesome work and a nice gesture,
    56 Dodge: impressive work there,
    everyone else:...nice job on all,
    ..here's a couple new "boards"...
    woodart 2020 035.jpg woodart 2020 047.jpg woodart 2020 048.jpg woodart 2020 050.jpg

19. robber

robber

... "W"... :cool:
    cp 985.JPG

Vonzemo, Lil32, Animal and 22 others like this.
  20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

21. Watch out for snakes !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    David Gersic, pwschuh, JimC and 33 others like this.
  22. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

Enamel on canvas. IMG_0760.JPG

23. kenmo

kenmo

1930 Ford Model A 5 window coupe entering 2015 Atlantic Nationals, Centennial Park, Moncton New Brunswick Canada

[​IMG]

wicarnut, Vonzemo, Lil32 and 20 others like this.
  24. kenmo

kenmo

Great start every one. Some fine art posted...

Stogy, themoose and 50 customcoupe like this.
  25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo! For enamel on canvas, that is some great attention to detail, not only on the car but on every detail depicted in this piece of art. Well Done !

chryslerfan55 and 50 customcoupe like this.
  26. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Lunchtime treat -Checking out the Friday Art Show!
    55 Finished!.jpg bills55.jpg

27. Here's a small offering. This is my "year of manufacture" plate lettered by local pinstriper "Gooch". It's illuminated by a 36 Dodge headlight lamp built by my Grandkids

IMG_8279.JPG

Vonzemo, Lil32, Flat Roy and 17 others like this.