Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Clean the glass, and lay your template on it, trace with sharpie, or crayon. 20200130_202041.jpg

2. Then the handy dandy glass cutter. Not teaching a class here, but not everybody knows how to cut glass, so this is for them. Anybody can do it, just takes a little finesse, and a $3 glass cutter lol. No it doesn't cut glass, it scores the glass, then you 20200130_202202.jpg break it on the score line.

3. Support the glass, i usually lay a towel under my glass on a piece of 3/4" plywood, but i was too lazy to walk out to the shop truck. Firm pressure, pull the cutter along the line, on the opposite side you marked on. 20200130_202342.jpg

loudbang and low budget like this.
  4. Apply some heat to soften the laminate plastic between the layers of glass. Sometimes i use rubbing alcohol, but the release agent i carry to clean up urethane messes is flammable, so i spray it across the break and set it on fire. Fold the glass slightly enough to create a gap that you can run a razor blade in and cut away your work piece 20200130_203314.jpg

loudbang, low budget and scotty t like this.
  5. You (or should i say I) can't cut round corners. You can to a degree, but you have to finish up with a belt sander. I cut the bulk away and then sand. I don't own a huge belt sander setup, i buy cheapo belt sanders, always have. I do 95% of my glass cutting on site, old cars, box trucks, heavy equipment, so my belt sander is my buddy. 20200130_203930.jpg

6. Water water water! I'm using an 80 grit aluminum oxide belt. On the tops of door glasses where your arm lays, I'll finish with 120. 20200130_204117.jpg

7. When you mark your template, be sure you cut on the inside of your line.

8. Your choice when it comes to installing the glass. On something like a model A windshield i use black silicone, because it's encased in the flame, and if you ever need to change the glass again you'll be able to get it out. But on a piece like a wing window i use windshield urethane. If you have to change it you just break it and clean the channel out with a screwdriver :D 20200130_210836.jpg

9. Run a bead around the channel, and press your glass in! Get you a pair of rubber gloves first lol. A handful of single edge razor blades, and clean the squeeze over off of the glass. I spray the glass with window cleaner first to keep it from spreading. Not as bad as it sounds. (Note that i didn't glue this, I've gotta fix the latch first and i gave up for the night) 20200130_211531.jpg

10. My tank has some crud in it but it's not rusty, i think i can clean it up. Gotta get that done, it's amazing how fast that gallon jug runs out :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. Thank ya brother! It's been a good day :D did you get anything done on the sedan today?

13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

No. I had to work to pay for all this. lol. I was able to put my new engine stand together though. At least it's something.

14. Seems like that's all I've been doing! Felt good to work on my junk for a change. It's all progress brother ;)

loudbang and Stephen Barrett like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Lloyd, Nice tutorial on the glass project. Looks like you may have done that once or twice before (Duh, Lloyd's paint & glass):D. I probably would have stuffed in a piece of Lexan with J-B weld:eek:

16. I've done it that way many times lol, but that damn lexan costs more that glass!!

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but it looks like you've graduated from the "dumb guy" methods:D...Me? I'm still there:eek:

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Think we use to have tech week around here, This would have been a great one for that!

19. Throttle cable and bracket done. Paracord retired :D Screenshot_20200131-141835_Gallery.jpg

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

21. Nude Stude Dude

Nude Stude Dude

I had one a few years ago with a 327 and 4 speed. The body was a little rough but it could move pretty well so I didn't worry too much about it. Good luck with yours....

1-57 Handyman 066.jpg

22. Thanks man, just got a haircut today and trimmed the mustache, but I'm glad you noticed ;):D

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  23. Mine ain't bad, but it isn't perfect lol. I've started with a lot less for sure! Welcome to the HAMB by the way! Traded for a 40 Buick with a guy in Louisville a few years back, about your age.

24. Oh i have a lot of "dumb moments" lol, how else do we learn :D

chryslerfan55, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  25. Got my gauge cluster today, thanks @tyeager55 ;) once again my genius UPS driver took it to the old lady half mile down the road :rolleyes: she sure gets a lot of hot rod parts :D Screenshot_20200203-200455_Gallery.jpg

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D UPS="Uncaring Package Service".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Priority 1...install gauge cluster.
    Priority 2...start car.
    Priority 3...try to get the needle all the way to the other side of speedo:D