Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wagon Ford shoulda' built, so we did!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Jan 29, 2020.

1. I just started the thread yesterday.

Outback, Stogy, 1947knuck and 11 others like this.
  2. scotts52

scotts52

I have a perfect candidate to get started KIMG0156.JPG KIMG0151.JPG

3. I myself would love to see the build pics, the quality of workmanship is outstanding. I study builds like this to try and improve my own skills and get ideas on how to tackle modifications, even if im not doing anything like it. I would have preferred to wait till the end, after all the build pictures to see the end result of all that work and I know that's what you were going for. I for one enjoy the process as much as the finshied project, sometimes the process more so. I hope you continue to post build pics, if for nothing else for those that were willing to be patient.

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

What the heck man! GO FASTER!! ;)

Amazing build... just amazing. Please take all the time you want posting detailed descriptions and pictures, or just pictures, or whatever. I'll be waiting patiently.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Blue One like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I would assume that everyone just wants an over load of build photos. We all drooled over the shots from the show so now @Blue One has got blue balls for the nitty gritty build pix.

I’m grateful for whatever you want to share this thing is insane

6. I am a wagon guy & I have always thought the Parklane is a sweet wagon but you really did do what Ford should have done, you guys did some stellar work on that car. HRP

7. 55ford58597-2.jpg Have you done more than one of these? Because I saw one like it for sale about a month ago somewhere but as I recall it was 2 tone white and orange?
    edit:
    I found it: Cars on line..
    But your black one looks better, smoother flow and more finished looking.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    AV8R, brEad, 550Coupe and 7 others like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Holy metal work Rocket Man. That work and finish should get you lots of work and primo reputation :cool::cool::cool::) . You are the man .Very talented;) . I need lots of pics so I can learn from you ,see how your mind thinks and conceptualize the technical intricacies of workable solutions . I applaud your talent , foresight and bringing the car from point A to point B .:)

9. j hansen

j hansen

Yes,,we need more pics of the build. Subscribed.

kidcampbell71 and Blue One like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not meaning to hijack, showed mine because of the repeat of the other ones. Since they were on other threads ....deleted.

Rocket Man. Thanks for the “like” on the my photos on the 55-56 Ford thread.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Pretty funny. Unfortunately only Western Canadians will thoroughly get the reference.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

eddie1 likes this.
  12. Thanks, I've always liked your car & as you've seen we've paid allot of attention to the duel quad setup your running. No worries on the pictures & I do appreciate you deleting them. We've waited almost 7 years to show people this car so it can be hard when someone else plays spoiler. Thanks again

13. Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Next up was fabricating a new roof structure. We discovered that the Crown Vic top actually began to start to arc down about midway through the door opening. The structure is all hand fabricated from there back. Also by getting the rear new C-pillars positioned where we liked them there was allot of work that needed to be done in the tail gate area.

IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3628.JPG

Shop etc. Oct 14 265.JPG

This was loosely patterned off the early 60's full size Ford wagons

Shop etc. Oct 14 267.JPG
    Shop etc. Oct 14 268.JPG Shop etc. Oct 14 272.JPG
    A wedge shape was made to lean the tailgate ahead to match the new C-pillar angle. We also took advantage of the structure being removed to make patches and remove the factory lead seams.

Shop etc. Oct 14 277.JPG Shop etc. Oct 14 280.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    lewk, 40two, BigO and 36 others like this.
  14. I'm just a small piece of the puzzle. I was lucky enough to have Michael Wildschut, Race Trevino, Rico Orea working here. The project took a small army.

Stogy, verde742, 1947knuck and 10 others like this.
  15. I ran across this car when I was researching things one day (we where already done with the major fab on the car at that point). The 2nd owner I believe it was & I spoke for awhile on the phone about the cars one day. I like the car but we went a totally different direction on the design from the B-pillars back.

16. Yes, your design looks so much better. Looks like a factory built wagon..:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Next up was the roof skin. We recycled the original wagon drip rails & Crown Vic header. the first 2"-3" had to be fabricated to get the corners & contour correct. IMG_3946.JPG

The Crown Vic top & Wagon top. You can really see how "bubbly" the Wagon roof is.

Shop etc. Oct 14 023.JPG
    Some rust repair was needed.

Shop etc. Oct 14 034.JPG

After the initial mock up it was decided that the Wagon skin & Crown Vic front half was not going to get us the shape we wanted. Also the weld seem through the middle of the large low crown panel was going to be an issue. We decided to make a template & hit the wrecking yard to find something that'd hopefully work.

IMG_3597.JPG

The Falcon Wagon was a really close match

IMG_3966.JPG

BigO, brEad, Stogy and 19 others like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ok fellas lets all be patient and allow this thread to run as @Rocket's Hot Rod Garage intended. Even though pics of this car have been seen on other threads lets not spoil his fun in showing the journey to build this wonderful automobile.......

Outback, 40two, Stogy and 25 others like this.
  19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This car was awesome to study in person at the GNRS -- Too bad Ford didn't actually make one to compete with the Nomad. It's crazy how hard it can be to make a (custom) car look like it came from the factory, but you guys nailed it!

20. Post more pics of Race too, please!!!!! Dreamboat material

Rocket's Hot Rod Garage and Tim like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rockets...PM sent

22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

23. Continuing on the roof skin....

IMG_3595.JPG
    Mike attacking with the Sawzall!!!

IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3590.JPG

We attacked it like you would a "4-corner chop"

IMG_3945.JPG IMG_3567.JPG

After the welds where all hammered out and metal finished we removed the whole thing to primer the underside of the skin & structure. We also modified the original wagon braces and included them from the B-pillar back.

IMG_3565.JPG

BigO, brEad, Stogy and 28 others like this.
  24. dig it, look forward to seeing more.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I love that you are building/built this using quite a bit of existing panels compared to it being 100% scratch made panels

Stogy, ratrodrodder, HunterYJ and 5 others like this.
  26. This is a “why we come here” build.
    Thanks and I’m jealous.

27. So true!!

28. First class work! Thanks for posting.
    I've been involved in a couple of these "one off" builds...they are indeed a shit ton of work!