Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Anxious to follow along AND see you runn'in it this spring!! What sorta gear ratio you think'in about?
    6sally6

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will start with a 5.29. Because I already have it. I will get the 6.00 gear back out of the Morris when he changes it for the gear he needs for his flathead.
    The 29 inch tall tire is taller than I had, but I think the dual plane will limit the rpm level of the motor I am building.

3. brianf31

brianf31

This will be a cool build. I'll follow this one for sure.

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looking for a dual quad intake that will take 2 inline Holley's. Ford made them as an over the counter part. So they are legal. The Edelbrock's don't have the spacing for Holley's.
    Cobra restorations has them new but pricy.
    otherwise an Edelbrock performer rpm and my AED carb from the Morris motor will have to do.
    I would trade for my Parker single plane if you have one.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Saltflats is the Man! James sent me a Super Shifter 3. Now just need the mounting bracket and another hamber says he has it. I will make the rods with heim joints and tubing.
    I picked up the rear housing today. I am assembling the short block tonight. Waiting on my ring filer tool. Loaned mine out and never got it back. It's in Florida and I hope he gets his nuts caught in it the next time he uses it.
    My front end parts were shipped today. It's starting to come together. Looks like some dry weather this week so I can unload the car and pull the 6 cylinder out.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Glad I could help out. :)

scott27, Thor1, Dick Stevens and 8 others like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I got this far . I need to pull the crank back out and clearance the thrust bearing. I don't have enough end play . I need between .006 and .008 and I only have .002 so it will have to wait until tomorrow. DSCF3592.JPG

8. You are really moving along. This is going to be a cool build. Congrats.:)

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a little side tracked . I started cleaning up the rear end housing. It came out of a car that had been setting on the ground for who knows how long with no axles or chunk. You can imagine how rusty and nasty it was. I pressure washed it to get the mud off. Then I took my angle g DSCF3593.JPG rinder with a wire rope wheel to get the major rust off.
    The got out my little secret sauce to make the metal look like new. My bottle of muriatic acid and a brush. Let it set about 5 minutes and rinsed it with a hose and it looked like new metal both on the outside and in the axle tubes.
    Sprayed it with Rust convertor , then red primer and finally semi gloss black paint. It looks like it's ready for some gears and axles. Going to give Strange a call tomorrow to get stuff coming.

TBirdGirl26, scott27, Thor1 and 10 others like this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking forward to seeing it on the track, I'm subscribed.
    Double check with Robert on the intake you was looking for. I'm not sure over the counter intakes are legal for 2020. I think it had to come on a car or any aftermarket old school duel plane. Don't take my word for it I can't keep up with Super Stock rules LOL.

11. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot little small block to start, FE coming later, a damn wagon to boot, broke washing machine and life. Yea!! I'm in for this ride can't wait to see this come together...

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have talked with Robert about the intake. As long as it is a non air gap dual plane or has a Ford number. It's o.k. I found a Performer RPM .
    Thanks Quain. See you in Florida. We won't be ready, but will come down to spectate.

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking forward to seeing y'all, it's been a long winter not getting to see everybody. The banquet helped but everybody wasn't there.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

It was like Christmas today. My hubs and steering stuff came in today. My Bosch DSCF3596.JPG DSCF3594.JPG tach got here.
    My motor mounts also and my frame brackets. Got my rings all gapped and my Thrust bearing adjusted.

15. colbyw

colbyw

Very nice thread! It looks like you’ve been busy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Great build, love the car and high winding small block with a stick. someone mentioned 7' tires being a limiting factor but if you follow any of the FAST drags these guys run 9's and 10' on a stock bias ply tire.

Following the build, looking forward to updates.

Cliff Ramsdell

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

How many new cars are being built for SEGA Super Stock ?

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I don't know how many new cars there are being built . I do know of 2 cars being built and several being updated.
    Well got my rotating assembly put together today after church. Now I can degree the cam and install all of the rest of the parts.
    I need to swap out the intake on my neighbors Mustang. He has a Performer RPM and I am going to swap him my Parker. I would like to try a Weiand Stealth also. DSCF3598.JPG DSCF3597.JPG

TBirdGirl26, scott27, brEad and 14 others like this.
  19. brianf31

brianf31

That's a lumpy lookin' piston!

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

According to my calculation's it should be right at 12.6 to 1.

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

So simple. Bolt the oil pump to the pickup and bolt it to the block. Wrong ! The pickup tube bracket lays on the stud girdle. The oil pan hits the stud girdle.
    So take the stud girdle off and grind a relief in it so it clears the pan and then grind the pickup tube bracket so it clears the main girdle. Then make sure the clearance with the bottom of the oil pan is correct. The bolts in the picture are NOT the right oil pump bolts before somebody jumps on that.
    Then retorque the main studs after putting the stud girdle back on.
    Easy enough 3 hours to bolt an oil pump on. Good thing I don't have to pay someone else to do my work.
    People wonder why engines cost so much. It is because they have to be put together about 3 times before everything is the way it's supposed to be. Maybe that's why that crate motor deal is so popular . You right a big check and hope it's done right . DSCF3599.JPG DSCF3601.JPG DSCF3600.JPG

22. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea but you know that hoping it is right has always been a problem for me. I had much rather do it myself , no matter the time, and know that I now only have one person to blame if I need to.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I used an aluminum girdle on the 302 I build year back. Seem that I had to do a little clearance work on it also.
    20161021_120407.jpg

scott27, Fiddle Picker, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Spent the day watching it rain, but it wasn't a cold rain so I could work with the door open.
    60 degrees was not bad. I got my timing chain in this morning so I got the cam degreed and got the heads cleaned up . Tomorrow I can check my piston to valve clearance and finish the long block.
    A guy dropped off a Performer RPM intake tonight so I swapped him for my Parker intake.
    I have got a lot of grinding to do on that intake to make it work. The ports are too narrow and too short. I need to cut the plenum down . I may just try and score a Weiand Stealth. They are a higher rpm intake stock and may have less grinding.
    I am hoping my pushrod length is o.k. I had to buy custom Comp pushrods when I built my 306.
    I am enjoying building this little motor and trying to make sure it is right . I am going to have to compete against those big wedge Mopars and the big block Chevys. I am going to have to win the first half of the 1/8 th mile and hope they can't drive around me on the big end.

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

You can always do what they used to do years back .... make the tailgate weight around 150# and hang on sports fans!

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good to see that you rubbed off.
    I noticed sporting the new kicks.

mad mikey, enloe and loudbang like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I finally got the long block built. I still need to make a timing pointer because the water pump hose is switched from the pass.side from to the driver side.
    Next I need to spend some time porting the intake. DSCF3602.JPG

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Looking Good

Fiddle Picker, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Waiting on a long shank egg bur to get here so I can get up further into the intake ports.
    So last night I started on my rear end chunk. It is all Strange Engineering components.
    Got the pinion preload set and now it's install the ring gear and spool and set the back lash.
    One more thing will be done. Maybe it will stop raining for more than a few hours and I can get
    the Comet off the trailer so I can pull the 6 cylinder and 3 speed out and get started on the engine compartment and front suspension.

TBirdGirl26, scott27, brEad and 8 others like this.
  30. Berryhill

Berryhill
    from Taft TN

SEGA is growing. Glad to know there's another TN guy on here.