Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firewall Paint for Patina Car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ghalperin, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ghalperin

ghalperin

I’ve got my engine out, doing some routine maintenance. My car is pretty crusty, kind of looks like it was done back in the day. Now’s the time to paint the firewall. I just don’t want it to make everything else look worse. I’m concerned that if I paint it, I’ll have to start cleaning and painting everything on the car. I kind of like the crusty look. Maybe I should paint the firewall, then clean and Gibbs everything else. The paint on the firewall wasn’t prepped correctly in the ‘60s or ‘70s and is flaking off.
    Should I paint it or just clean it?
    If painting what color?
    79FA0740-EE0B-4C2A-AD04-51D05A82BAED.jpeg
    C39B4B03-43D2-403A-B374-10CBDFF138D7.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    chop job likes this.
  2. Can't go wrong with Wimbleton white.

clem, Cosmo50, Tim and 2 others like this.
  3. Spray it with adhesive & throw a couple shovel fulls of glitter at it. It'll look amazing. Promise. :cool:

4. Scuff it up and match yer wheels.

5. hammeredt

hammeredt

I would just leave it alone.

6. rztrike

rztrike

Clean off the crusty. Rub the oxidation off and put on a coat of wax

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What car company is Patina ? :rolleyes:
    And where did they build cars ? :D:D

8. ghalperin

ghalperin

All good suggestions, especially the glitter. Wimbledon White has been a thought. Maybe it’s time to clean everything up...

9. I would do semi gloss black.

-Brent- likes this.
  10. Uribe

Uribe

The exterior dosnt look bad at all, i would say a low gloss color that maches the top

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were me, and just saying, an engine compartment on a driven car is going to get all kinds of shit on it. Paint it flat black and then forget about it. It won't make the other stuff look worse being flat black and as opposed to white you won't have to clean the thing every time you go out!

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would agree but only if you paint he wheels to match, otherwise there is going to obvious mismatch.
    If your not painting the wheels paint it to match the car and distress it (not as distressed as it currently;), more a fake patina-I wont tell anyone:rolleyes:)

13. squirrel

squirrel

yup, it will stick out like a sore thumb if you paint it.

I suggest you leave it alone, until you feel like painting the whole care. Then, do it right.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

cream or antique white... ? White does darken with age... make it look aged...

15. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

If it were my car, I would clean and sand firewall first. Then have paint matched and spray firewall. It's under the hood and won't show as being new paint as much as it will look like it has been protected. The other paint still looks good. It's a car to be proud of!

winduptoy, Ribbedroof and timwhit like this.
  16. Find a good quality image online of kidcambell71’s avatar, and have it blown up to fit your firewall.

Desoto291Hemi and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. ghalperin

ghalperin

Like this?
    linda20_gratiot.jpg

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

I only painted my firewall.

IMG_20200117_165402.jpg

clem likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p Best dang tech advice I ever read on here:)

Blue One and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. oldolds

oldolds

Have someplace scan the body color. Get the matching paint in semi gloss. It will still look newer but not stick out like a herpes rash.

21. ghalperin

ghalperin

That’s a good idea.

22. Clean it up, wet sand er down and shoot some lacquer on it.
    You can control the blend, gloss and overall look super easy.

23. Be aware that having the paint scanned will only produce a formula for a current colour that is closest to your colour. Lots of people mistakenly believe it produces a unique formula to match your paint. It does not. Depending how old the paint is the "match" may not be close as some of the toners used in paint in the past are no longer available.

ALW and Squablow like this.
  24. adam401

adam401

Id leave that firewall alone and pop that engine back in. Weathered like an old leather jacket.

25. If ya get it matched and can’t source lacquer have it mixed in old school enamel.
    Ya never gonna match that with base clear.
    Flat clear doesn’t like being rubbed on and can be a pain to clean. And getting the gloss level matched can sometimes turn into a crap shoot.
    Friend painted a firewall in a super low mile 55. Those cars are lacquer. The repaired area was primed in a matching factory red oxide then spotted in with lacquer. The gloss level was matched by how it was sanded/polished. The repair area was strategically chipped on purposed. This further helped deceive the repaired area. It looked like well cared for old.
    You can make it do whatever ya want with the right products and immigration.

jimgoetz likes this.
  26. I used to work for a guy who would buy old cars off of C/L or Egay. We'd take them into the shop and spiff them up and then he'd flip them at auctions. That firewall is just too unappetizing We would have to deal with it. A base coat color match maybe, with some satin clear. Of course this was just a bit before the grunge era of today.
    There's probably a few guys getting a woodie over that firewall, right now! :eek:

27. ghalperin

ghalperin

That firewall has always bugged me. I’m not ready to paint everything, so I’ll probably hit it with some semi gloss black just to put a bandaid on it for now.

28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

:p

jimmy six and kidcampbell71 like this.