Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The $75 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thepartsbinguy1, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There are some rams horn manifolds that had an ADDITIONAL flange cast into the center that exits upward; they also have the normal downward exit flange (industrial applications???). They come up on E-Bay from time to time. Would't have to "flip" them. Not sure why that came up, but there's the way around it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

ahh yes i love it.. it's all coming together. WIN_20200126_14_24_59_Pro.jpg

3. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

some shadetree stuff is going down but I got most of the fuel lines together. I lost or threw away an exhaust gasket and the -wire off the points needs a small nut for the coil post. we need a fan belt. and to wire in the resistor. hope it's timed right.

4. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

this is what I'm going for when the weather gets warmer but for now to hear it run fuel line and postive/resistor I think that's it? 1957 Chevy 283...PNG WIN_20200127_13_01_58_Pro.jpg

5. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

ok enough procrastination the battery is next to it and the fuel system is done. Before I start it I have to screw the oil pressure gauge in but I have it. Guess I'm going out to see what happens

Old wolf likes this.
  6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

7. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

two different fuel pumps and no gas.. No spark either! Clean points with a folded ten dollar bill and set the gap to .16 and we have great spark! Just a couple mins ago I got the first few pops on camera. Going out now and I'll fill the bowls this time. And see if one of those fuel pumps will catch up.

8. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Neither of those fuel pumps will pump up. Other guy said to bite the bullet and drop the hei in.. But not yet we have spark. Drop fuel down the carburetor and it sorta tries to start. I'm gonna set the points gap again take the valve cover off and go through the timing one more time. Definitely thinking some of those rings are STUCK only a couple cylinders were bangin

9. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Ok well I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the points in this distributor are not in a usable shape. But that's ok we have the distributor off the other one. Phone a friend came through with a fuel pump. Hope it works.

10. You don't need a fuel pump. just gravity feed from a suspended tank or jug. I use a old plastic lawnmower tank. pouring gas down the carb floods the engine and washes the cyl walls. then when It starves out it gets lean and you get a carb fire. Use the HEI for now they tend to have hotter spark. with points you need the yellow wire from the starter selonid ran to the bat side of the coil. that bypasses the resistor and gives the coil a full 12 volts when cranking. a HEI don't use a resistor give it 12 volts. You can hook up two 12 volt batterys positive to negative and use 24 volts to crank just the starter. sometimes that helps a first start.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Nah, it's good to replace them all. In my experience 4GCs leak, seep and ooze freely. I had more carb fires with them than any other type. I learned to inspect the bodies for cracks and used a straight edge during assembly. The top cover needs some care when screwing it down so as not to warp it. Most of the rebuilt ones I found were pretty indifferently put together.

12. I prefer to get a adapter and use a carter AFB on them.

13. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Ok so I learned something when I put a new points wire on the distributor I put the condenser wire on the pole first then the points wire. It was giving weak spark fixed that and set the points gap to .018 because they look like new and we have good spark again. I'm not doing away with the points.

14. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I have an old dirtbike tank laying around so if phone a friends pump doesn't pump then I'm gonna gravity feed it.

Old wolf likes this.
  15. Even better. No way am I suggesting that using a 4GC is a great idea.

16. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I went through it pretty good and it ran another 283 very smoothly so I'm guessing it will be fine. If this 283 runs smoothly I have the complete fiberglass front end for a dj5 mailjeep. If i can find any short nose cj5 the whole front end will bolt right on. I also have the engine mounts and adapter for the transmission. Maybe even another 3A?

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Old Wolf!...where did you buy the overhaul kits ?....that's a sweet deal!

18. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Ok so the points wire is on the points housing first then the condenser wire second. Points gap set to .018 and I have a wire running from the solenoid to the coil. About to test if this new fuel pump works. day two take four action!

19. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Also took the manifolds back off and looked into the cylinders and let me tell you a few were crusty. I hope the valves are sealing.. Makes me wonder if that's why it only fired on a couple yesterday.

20. Just went online.

21. At this point might want to stop and do a compression check. Take all the plugs out.

timwhit likes this.
  22. That crust can be blown out . remove the pushrods. make a fixture to attach a air hose to a gutted spark plug. then with a 100 psi air plumbed into the cyls. tap on the valve stem with a dead blow hammer. that will bounce the valve and you will get a Blam Balam burst of air . remove the carb when you do the intake valves. Jeff Bradshaw of Elderly Iron has a U tube video of him doing what I outlined on a Pontiac 389 engine. It does work really well.

23. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I couldn't get it running so I slapped a bunch of new parts on it and it still won't fire off. Fuel pump works great #1 at top dead went through the firing order till I broke a nerve.. Just a few pops the battery got low and the starter made a nice bang when it didn't retract. I don't wanna pull the heads in winter but if I must EDIT: Yes even slapped a one wire in it

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I do believe you've found Red Green's, long lost half brother, hiding out in Oregon. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  25. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Gahh ok I went through it all one more time. Nice jet steam into the carburetor once you pull the throttle back. #1 at top dead and rotor pointing at #1. And we do have spark. Just pops on one cylinder. Over and over. Occasionally two it's either the rings or the heads. There's really nothing else right?

26. Watch All the video's that Jeff Bradshaw has posted on the 389. If he could make that engine run you can get your 283 to come alive.

27. Maybe? However the proof is in the pudding. He actually got that old tin indian mill to come alive and it seemed to be a good runner. Jeff has lots of interesting video.

Ford52PU likes this.
  28. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

thank you for this amazing video I'm sure I can find something to thread into a sparkplug hole. Bet you it leaks terrible with some of the crust buildup.

Old wolf likes this.
  29. carbking

carbking

Just found this thread, a few points:

Rather than drip fuel into the carb, as Old Wolf says, don't. Fill the carburetor bowls through the bowl vents using something like a squeeze mustard bottle (after you have cleaned out the mustard ;) ) This allows the carb to act as a carb, and also saves the engine rings, and your eyebrows!

The Rochester 4GC, when properly rebuilt (not an ad, I no longer rebuild) is an EXCELLENT carb. When one buys a budget carb from a FLAPS that was commercially rebuilt, one almost gets what one pays for ;)

The Rochester 4G was available in several sizes from about 400 to about 700 CFM.

Someone mentioned the Quadrajet and not a Quadrajet. Technically, the 4G IS a quadrajet, as GM referred to the 4G as a Quadrajet in factory GM literature. Most enthusiasts now refer to the 4G (square-bore) as a 4-jet, and the later 4MV (spreadbore) as a Quadrajet, but calling the 4G a quadrajet is totally correct.

Jon.

Tickety Boo and Thor1 like this.