Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crate Motors From WALMART?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

After reading a thread about too bore or not to bore a 350 Chevy block from @500caddy somebody posted a crate engine for 1,599.99 from Jegs , I recalled hearing WALMART had gotten into selling crate engines. But it looks as though they are from reputable builders and not re built by Walmart themselves.:eek::rolleyes: I was surprised however they are much more expensive then the Jegs or GM crate engine.

Genuine OE GM Chevrolet Performance Crate Engine 350 Ho Base 330HP 19210007
    Average rating:0out of5stars, based on0reviewsWrite a review
    GM
    $3552.50$3,552.50

Only 1 left!

Qty:

$621.40 freight delivery
    Pickup not available

Sold & shipped byAutoPartsRunners

2. squirrel

squirrel

walmart is now in the online sales business, and they act as a storefront for whomever wants to sell their stuff there, just like Amazon, and many other big outfits.

see, it's not a Walmart engine, and the price got marked up by the middleman AutoPartsRunners.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yup, can not even park in front of store anymore. All those spots a reserved for pick-up.

j3harleys and Old wolf like this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That right there is a PERFECT STORM!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to snoop the background of what ever thing you order like that be it from Speedway, Amazon or Amazon or who knows what. Amazon lists the name of the third party seller and can be a boost for the small guy. I got a flathead book direct from the author the other day that he had listed on Amazon. That gave him world wide sales potential.
    Checking this Walmart crate motor add https://www.walmart.com/ip/GM-Perfo...ngine-Small-Block-Chevy-350HO-330HP/564308617 and then checking Unbeatable Sale's website I'd say that they are drop shippers that give Walmart a cut and then place the order with GM to have the engine drop shipped to the customer. Thing is that you can buy that same engine from Jegs or Summit for a thousand dollars less and they may be the one shipping it to you . https://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performan...yOzbkyTfEwxdZRHL_ev9QWe9gHQrPnDAaAtJFEALw_wcB

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...IUfrvyuuyPKXE2WE6JZL4cM1jl-GR-lYaAgjqEALw_wcB

Always price shop big ticket items by the part number
    https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+...=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Another reason to never step into a Walmart.

8. We try to do as little business with wal mart as possible. There are small towns that are dying or already dead all across this nation. And its predatory pricing and cheep imported junk that is the root cause. The electric power tools the big box stores all sell are crap junk. I quit buying that junk. Went to estate auctions and bought old 50 and 60 year old ones that work great. and have aluminum cases. I certainly aint gonna buy any engines from Wal Mart. I seen this happen just last summer. A guy went to wal mart and bought a brand new air cond . Took it home plugged it in and it didn't work. Returned to Wal Mart and the service desk folks told him to take it to some repair place 50 miles away for warranty. If he had spent a little more money and bought it from the local heat and air guy. He would have got free delivery and installation. and it would have been working.

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2. I figure the Walton family, and J. Bezos (Amazon) have enough $...and they aren't gonna get any of mine.:mad:

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I buy Wrangler’s there. Sam’s is WalMart too. Water, Benefiber, and gasoline is about it...

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^lol. I get my water from the tap and (crossed fingers) do not need Benefiber yet. :oops:

12. leon bee

leon bee

Been something like 14 years since I been in one.

13. Walmart came to the UK and bought their way into the supermarket business. Nobody liked they way they operated and they died on their arse

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Sears & Roebuck sold crate Ford Flatheads for years.

olcurmdgeon, X-cpe, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  15. My first car had a rebuilt Flathead from Sears.... 03222016.jpg 06272016_0002.jpg

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Monkey Wards too.

mad mikey, OLSKOOL57, egads and 2 others like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Glad I drive a pickup. It's green, too, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

IMG_1230.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  18. My parents bought a lot of quality stuff from Sears. My father bought a rebuilt 283 short block it was bored .060 and had a .010 .010 crank. It was a good engine. after burning up several crap new sanders I bought a old Craftsman aluminum cased one at a estate sale. I still have and use Sears craftsman wrenches and tools I bought in the 60,s. Montgomery ward sold good tires. and their appliances where better than the sears Kenmore brand. and both of them where better than the imported junk we have today.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am NOT a fan or frequent buyer of Walmart goods........but Walmart has only succeeded because customers choose to buy price over quality. Eventually, even those of us who are willing to buy quality at a higher price, are so few in number, it becomes difficult if not impossible to buy quality items. The manufacturers go where the buyer’s are. No business puts others out of business.....only customers can do that by their buying choices.

If you got a penny for every thread or post on the HAMB that uses the word ‘cheap’ as a requirement or virtue you’d soon be able to retire on the proceeds.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Rolleiflex, i.rant, 40FORDPU and 10 others like this.
  20. ............Heck, they even sold houses and little economy-minded cars (Allstate)!!!:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. One of my 1st engine changes was a flathead Mopar in a friend's Plymouth... ran him $398 from the Sears catalog. We had to swap the oil pan otherwise it went well and ran good.

23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You can buy Axalta paint on line from Walmart too. There is nothing that this unethical company won’t try to sell

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Sadly they are the nations largest employer. And many times that job that hasn't any benefits other than a 10% employee discount card pays the highest wages in many localaties. My wife worked at Wally world for 7 years. walking on the concrete finally got to difficult she developed a bad hip. Debbie quit and took a seasonal desk job at a state park and was paid much less money. 10 cents more than the mininum wage and no benefits. Finally She had to get a hip replacement surgery. And decided her day's of working for others where over. I suppose Im helping to kill off the local Auto parts stores by ordering online. However I got fed up with the wait for service. And then the phone would ring and they would rather talk on the phone than actually wait on a customer that was already standing there. And worse yet was the owner operated place where they yakked or texted on their personal Cell Phones. So I don't darken the doors of a auto parts place to pay more $ any longer.

25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NAPA used to be my go to store when I lived up in Mass. They had the things I needed and were knowledgable folks. Here where I live in NC they have priced themselves right out of my wallet and after going through a couple owners their help just doesn't have a clue about helping a guy with an old car. I'd do a better job behind the counter! Now I go where I can find the stuff I need at a fair price.

mad mikey and scrap metal 48 like this.
  26. Actually that's only partly true. They sold many items at a loss to bring in customers. and continued that practice until the smaller places with not as deep of pockets went bust. The $4 prescription plan put a lot of Pharmacys out of business. Their volume buying was impossible for many other places to compete with. Its a planned strategy and they know exactly what they are doing. A local guy had a lawmower and chainsaw shop. Was a Authorized dealer for decades. And suddenly Wal Mart began selling the same exact brand of chainsaw as he was a dealer for. And Walmart was selling the same chainsaws for less that he was buying them wholesale. Right or Wrong -Good or Bad? It is what it is?

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Walmart is trying to morph into Amazon Jr. So they have millions of items for sale on their website that are sold by third-party vendors directly to the consumer, like Amazon. Walmart is not actually selling the items; they are simply serving as a platform for vendors (and getting their cut for doing so).

Squablow likes this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with you that it is not that simple......and you raise valid points. The example you give about your local chainsaw dealer may not be so simple either. Typically, a higher value item sold by it’s respected brand name at the ‘big box stores’......such as Walmart, Home Depot, etc., carries a unique and different model number than a very similar appearing item at the franchised dealer.

For example, HP laptops, John Deere and Cub Cadet lawn tractors, just to name a few. Close comparison of that JD or Cadet will reveal differences in construction details between Big Box and the local implement dealers whose version of the product is better but also more costly. The implement dealer does not have access to the ‘decontented’ lower priced model. It is a two tier distribution system that the manufacturers operate with.

“There are no goods that someone cannot figure out how to produce more cheaply and sell for a lower price. Those who consider price only are their lawful prey”

Ray

i.rant, VANDENPLAS, belair and 7 others like this.
  29. We needed a New refrigerator. And Debbie searched online. Found what she thought she liked at Home Depot. So we drive to Jonesboro. she looked it over and told the sales clerk she wasn't it. Goes and pays cash. and finds out the one she looked at is the display model. Hers will haveto be shipped. Delivery isn't available in our location. So we have to come back to the store and pick it up. A week later we gat a E mail that our refrigerator has arrived. Drive to Jonesboro. They bring it out. I make them unwrap it so I can check for damage. Its not what we ordered. no stainless steel door. not near as many cubic inches. They said we have to reorder. Nope we demand our cash back. It sucks big time. Heck We bought a better frig at a estate auction for a whole lot less. Next time we need something New we are going to the scratch and dent place.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    VANDENPLAS, OLSKOOL57, slack and 3 others like this.
  30. So the chainsaw Wal mart was selling is somehow different? That still don't make any difference to the authorized dealer who is being cheated. The buying public perceives that its the same exact item. and wrongly thinks the authorized dealer is a greedy crook. The end result is the little guy is harmed and its done on purpose with malice.