Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2020 AMBR Contenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Can't bag on any of the contenders..I don't possess the desire, dedication, commitment, patience and time it takes to bring a car to those levels.
    I appreciate that people do, because they all are serious works of art, and a pleasure to see.

Congratulations to the winner, and all of the contenders for your efforts/commitments.

clem, Curt R, David Gersic and 6 others like this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wouldn't have been my choice either but I'm not an AMBR judge and I am sure that it deserves the award. Style is subjective and even if it's not my taste, that takes nothing away from the car or its builders. It's obviously a high quality build and even if it's not a traditional hot rod, it is a "rod" (a street rod) none-the-less. I can be happy for the owner and the builder even if I'd rather own one of the other cars.

jim snow, Greg Stokes and uncle buck like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

How are the Contenders picked every year? That is something I've always wondered about, there are always two or three cars in one of the buildings or outside that could replace at least one car. Bob

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Thanks for posting ! Really digging this one !

5. you have to send in your registration application for it way before the show date.

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. Like I said, Barris family should have entered this.
    ala kart1.jpg

7. The owner/builder applies to be considered for the America's Most Beautiful Roadster award.

Here's an excerpt from the 2020 GNRS Application form:

2020 GNRS Application page 2.JPG

Each year, dozens of very nice roadsters aren't even in the running for the AMBR award simply because the owner didn't build the car to be an AMBR contender.

For example, this year, Ross Myers chose to NOT enter his (restored) Norm Grabowski Kookie Kar 1922 T in the AMBR competition ... but the show promoters, put the roadster in the same building and area as the 10 AMBR contenders:

Kookie Kar @ 2020 GNRS (by Robert Jensen).jpg
    image by Robert Jensen

... and the Kookie Kar deservingly won this year's @Deuce Bruce Meyer Hot Rod Preservation Award :D :cool:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

As many of you know, I post extensive coverage of the show here on the HAMB.

I try to conform to the simple standards that Ryan has outlined, describing the parameter of cars welcome here. Everyone should have read these upon joining. Occasionally, I will show a car that is not 100% HAMB, but is definitely there in spirit.

The one qualifier that I establish for myself is that I stay away from featuring cars with large diameter, shiny wheels. Definitely not traditional (or classic, as I see it). So that's why you saw very little AMBR coverage on my thread.

And, yes if you scrutinize my coverage enough, you will find an exception or two.

Congratulations to AMBR winner, builder Doug Jerger. He and I have been online correspondents for years now, so at this show, we finally had the opportunity to meet in person and had a great chat.

DSC_1647.jpg

9. Just an FYI ...

Neither the George Barris, nor the Richard Peters, nor the Blackie Gejean families own the ('57 & '58 AMBR award winning) "Ala Kart" ... John Mumford is its current caretaker.

In the early 2000s, Mr. Mumford purchased the "Ala Kart" (from Boyd Coddington) ... and had Junior Conway (at Junior's House of Color) and Bill @slixauto Ganahl (at Roy Brizio Street Rods) meticulously restore it.

At the 2008 GNRS (for the 50th anniversary of its '58 AMBR win), Mumford entered the restored "Ala Kart" into the AMBR competition (it did not win :().

Here's (2020 AMBR judge) @Greg Stokes and John Mumford standing with the "Ala Kart" at the 2020 GNRS:

Greg Stokes & John Mumford with the Ala Kart at the 2020 GNRS.jpg

10. It would be cool, if it's not insider info, to hear from @Greg Stokes how the judging works from someone who actually does it.

loudbang and Sancho like this.
  11. Special Ed

Special Ed

There's actually a few judges that I'm aware of from the GNRS, that are members here on the HAMB. I doubt any of them would ever chime in though, seeing as how 95% of the feedback has been negative. I don't know anyone that enjoys getting attacked ... :rolleyes:

HEMI32, bchctybob, clem and 1 other person like this.
  12. Other than thinking this award should be awarded to a HAMB style car every year I think a BIG part of the problem is no one really knows the qualifications for judging and make up their own rules in their head as to how it is judged. Some clarification might alleviate some of that. Negative feedback about a car is a lot different than someone bitching someone out explaining how the rules work and I think most of the members here would understand that difference. I wasn't suggesting they give their personal opinions on the cars just an explanation of how it all works.

Jimmy B, loudbang, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  13. I would like to hear from em
    If the winner was the best executed example in the competition then so be it.
    It’s not the Most Beautiful Hamb Roadster award.
    Maybe the HAMB bosses could sponsor such an award.
    Anyway, hearing the things the judges consider would be cool.

14. It should have!!!

loudbang likes this.
  15. You guys raise a good point and to be fair I am going to try and answer this question in the best way which I hope doesn’t offend. There were 4-5 cool looking cars out of the 10 contending. What’s cool and what’s not is very subjective. However the award is judged on what is most beautiful and with that there are a number of factors included into this award. These are theme, overall design, fit and finish, interior, paint quality, detail and paint detail and finish. Of the four or five cars which looked interesting it was felt that there was always something letting each car down. It’s hard to see what we see as judges when you either see the photos online or you see the cars roped off at the show. Everyone has their favourite style of car (me included) and from a judging perspective I/we park our personal preferences and judge the car based on what I have highlighted above. I hope this gives some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mgtstumpy, alchemy, jim snow and 17 others like this.
  16. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Greg Stokes like this.
  17. Watched Ridler judging several years ago.
    Judges came around looking at displays checking off clip boards. After the public left the show, the judges crawled all over the cars. Movable windows were rolled up and down. Features were checked out to make sure they were real. Flash lights, mirrors inspecting nooks and crannies. Paint detail, stitching, we even removed a panel for them to look at the wiring. The tires were inspected. Did the valve stems line up in the same place with every tire? Did bolts have the same number of threads showing? Were they all clocked the same direction?
    Build photos were viewed and the builder interviewed.
    Every custom aspect was inspected and scored.
    What’s hard for us to understand is that only the judges know how much proportion and overall style are weighed.
    This is the sort of question I would like to hear from a judge.

bchctybob and clem like this.
  18. @Pete Eastwood and/or @Greg Stokes may (or may not) chime in ... but here's my understanding of how the AMBR has been picked since 2011 (when the "points system" of crowning the AMBR was dropped):

On setup day (Wednesday), each of the "AMBR Contenders" must drive into the building under their own power ... and as they do, the AMBR judges (made up of a panel of builders and customizers) get to scrutinize them ... taking notes on many aspects of each roadster, including (but not limited to):
    • How the the car looks moving/sitting on the ground ... vice how it will look in its display (with its doors & hood open, on stands to view the undercarriage, etc.).
    • How its engine sounds (cam lope, supercharger, turbocharger, exhaust note, etc.).
    • How the driver fits in the roadster (I'm guessin' the "Leg Show T" scored low here :D).
    • The roadster's "beauty" (i.e., design, fit & finish, paint, upholstery, etc., etc.)
    During the remaining days of the show (Thursday thru Saturday night), the AMBR judges mull over their own notes, revisit each roadster in its display, and deliberate (i.e., "argue") with each other in a private meeting room.

On Saturday night (or Sunday morning), the panel of judges comes to a final decision and provides the show promoter with the AMBR pick (and vows to not leak the winner).
    D'oh! :oops: ... Looks like @Greg Stokes chimed-in while I was (slowly) typing my reply ... Thanks Greg!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    mgtstumpy, jim snow, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  19. The AMBR is not a points based system anymore like the Ridler is.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick likes this.
  20. That would explain why the builds stopped looking cartoonish.

On a points system, would car A with 5 more modifications than car B automatically beat car B if the cars are of the same quality?

21. While this years car or last years are not HAMB friendly please remember that Darryl Hollembecks 32 and John Mumford’s track T were.

So it’s about showcasing the best that the hobby has to offer.

It’s not a H.A.M.B. friendly vs other stuff thing.

So my constructive advice to those complaining about this years winner - get going on your own contender and be a part of the fun.

jim snow, loudbang, pprather and 7 others like this.
  22. I was going to but the torque thrusts were on back order:)

23. If they are proper looking then it’s worth the wait!

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  24. We held the inaugural Walker County Center of Technology's Coolest Roadster of America award today.
    Students viewed pics and discussed the different aspects of each contestant. After much deliberation we had a tie.
    Mike Dwight's 1932 Ford Roadster.jpg Walter Sigsbey's Leg Show T (by Mark Vaughn).jpg
    I would like to congratulate Mike Dwight and Walter Sigsbey for winning the coveted WCCTCRA

25. I'll let Mike know (i.e., he's a member of the Bay Area Roadsters) :D

26. thanks
    honestly I was surprised how much debate these guys had with this.
    They loved the stance and wheels. The only question was with the front tire profile size.
    I think the overall opinion of the T was that even though it is cartoonish, it kept great proportions despite that fact.

fun day for class anyway.

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks for the pics! my first trip there! quite a show!

loudbang likes this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@anthony myrick
    As a retired Auto Shop teacher, I must say, "Great Job!!!!!"

Sparking the interest in any aspect of the automotive world, is the biggest challenge you face. If you've got them talking cars, you've got 'em where you want 'em.

29. Thanks.
    I was surprised how they debated what they liked and disliked about each car.
    I didn’t add any commentary about the cars until after they decided on the ones they liked.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Special Ed

Special Ed

Sorry we didn't catch you there, but your car sure looked great! Everything inside that building was remarkably well done ... ;)

loudbang likes this.