Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Fast411

Fast411
    from Montana

Be a neat thing to develop a cast aluminum pan for these. I've got a Chevy II car 153 my Dad put in our CJ5 many years ago and I'm replacing it with 120hp Mercruiser 153. The car 153 had water in the oil and oil in the water, so I'm curious if it has a bad head gasket or a crack somewhere. Had to swap pans and oil pickups. Got a new repro exhaust manifold from Rock Auto. The original exhaust manifold was corroded and had small cracks. I've got another core 153 car engine and and another 153 Mercruiser with a hairline crack in the block. Also have a bare 153 block, so plenty of extra parts to built another one if the Mercruiser I'm installing doesn't work out. I noticed some small differences in the 153 passenger car head and the 153 120hp Mercruiser head.....the center exhaust ports are cast slightly different as they exit, but perfectly compatible with the car manifold.

OFT and Six Ball like this.
  2. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I have been able to buy a center sump pan. Application unknown but seeing the color of its paint, I believe it’s an OMC marine application. I’m using it for mock-up right now but will try to get a picture soon.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29EHV8 likes this.
  3. Does anyone have any links to get some engine specs or measurements?
    I have a nice stock bore 181, would like to put a set of 4" TRW 327 flat tops in it, with 5.7" H beam Eagle rods that were in one of my 250 Chevs. Will this work?
    I can not find any spec stuff...
    Thanks!

-Shiny

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If it worked in the 250 it seems like it would work in a 153. I think the 181 has a longer stroke even though the block is more or less the same save for bore size.

hopefully someone chimes in

5. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 250 was a 3.875" bore with 3.53" stroke, The 181 is a 4" bore with 3.6" stroke, 153 is 3.875" bore with 3.25" stroke

Tim and banjeaux bob like this.
  6. Phil1934

Phil1934

181 is 2.1" rod big end, others are 2"

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

153 and 181 rod lengths are the same length 5.7 the bearing is 2" and 2.10" as noted above. The rods are identical to small block rods except the small block is narrower from being machined so two can sit side by side. The use the same bearing as do the sixes. I'm not sure about 250s. but I think they are the same rod length and different stroke was handled by piston pin height.
    In my 153 with a 181 crank & 181 rods Ross forged 250 pistons stick about .020" out the top. These pistons came from 12 Bolt Tom and I think were made a bit taller than regular 250 pistons. It all worked perfect with published specs but not when the pieces were assembled. If your rods are 5.7" it will probably work But if they a 6" maybe not. Funny things happen with numbers. Sometimes things just don't add up. :eek:

29EHV8 likes this.
  8. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Pics of the center sump pan IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0553.JPG

OFT likes this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It should be pretty easy to convert a small block Chevy or shorten a six of the same Chevy family, 194,230, 250 292

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

My plans are coming together with all you guy's help. I'm waiting on delivery of a 181 block so the "real" engine can go together. In the meantime, since I have a 153, I'm using it for mock-up. Plans call for a quality rebuild using flat top Sealed Power pistons, Isky hyd cam, balanced, aluminum cam gear. I have a 181 marine head that has been ported, modified for screw-in studs, stock 1.94/1.60 valves, hardened seats etc.. I may not use the valve cover in the pics but go with a 140 mercruiser aluminum valve cover and side cover. The header is one that came with the 153 and will need some small amount of redo for steering shaft clearance. Vac advance chevy distributor with electronic module. Haven't fully decided on what I'm going to do with carb but am considering modifying a stock ChevyII intake to accept a 325 Holley 2 barrel. I already have a couple of 'transition' plates to allow me to mate this manifold to the 8 port head. The manifold itself will take some modification to the carb mount and I'll need to do an adapter that matches the carb base. All this will run thru a S-10 5 speed to a quick-change reared.

Attached Files:

11. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

What kind of body you gona have A roster pickup my motor is a lot closer to front crosmember

12. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

It’s a roadster on 32 rails. The difference is in the wheelbase between Model A and 32

13. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That's looking good. Progress in wonderful.

15. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Thank you. Car had a 327 before. Wanted something different this time around.

6inarow likes this.
  16. Tony Main

Tony Main

Long and winding thread, but lots of great information. I'm building a Chevy II to go midget racing indoors. Fontana head, Arias block, (also have a Ford Motorsport block and Fontana head to build #2, it was blown up much worse than Arias block). Starting to run into issues for water pump options, atleast cam driven water pumps, have parts for a EVM marine pump, making new parts will likely get expensive for vintage pump.
    Do any of you guys have cam driven pump setups that could help me? (3 stage dry sump oil pump will be belt driven)
    Thanks,

20200112_191308.jpg 20200112_190158.jpg

Tim, 6inarow, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Neat! I never knew that Arias made an engine block.
    The "Hecho en Gardena Ca" is a cute touch.

Cyclone Kevin and Tony Main like this.
  18. v860rich

v860rich

I have quite a few of the 181 marine engines and blocks that were used in midgets. I also have a couple of vintage midgets with those engines.
    I guess the front of your block is the same as the Mercury? Do you have a after market front cover that will accept a cam driven water pump?

THANX RICH

19. Tony Main

Tony Main

Yes I have (EVM)front covers that would accept cam driven fuel/water pumps. I will probably end up using a KSE water pump (will have to modify and find a straight vane impeller for the reverse rotation), spending 400+ on making one off parts for an old pump doesn't sound smart in long run as the KSE would be common. (We run them on our sprint cars without issue for years)
    I believe the front of the block is based on the 153, but I haven't seen a 181 up close to compare. I can try and take some photos when I'm in the shop this weekend.

tractorguy likes this.
  20. v860rich

v860rich

The last new 4 cyl water pump I bought was from Ron's Fuel Injection service in Tuscon AZ
    Ph 520 573 6890 http://ronsfuel.com/contact.cfm
    That was years ago but he may still have something that will work.
    Yes the 181 block is the same as the 153.in the area where the front cover bolts on.
    Also if I remember correctly you can't just bolt on a V8 pump and have it work. The impeller may be what you need to change, I don't remember for sure!!

THANX RICH

Tony Main likes this.
  21. Tony Main

Tony Main

Yes the 153 cam rotation is opposite that of a V8, we have to be careful on fuel and power steering pumps as well getting "reverse" rotation.

As interesting side note this is an old Fontana flyer I had found. Fontana 4 cyl-2.JPG

Six Ball likes this.
  22. Tony Main

Tony Main

Thought these photos may be interesting to you guys, the Ford block is very similar to the Arais the lifter cover plate being the biggest difference I've found. It kind of went boom in it's last life, we'll rebuild it some day.
    20200218_175304.jpeg 20200218_175729.jpeg 20200218_175320.jpeg 20200218_175337.jpeg

Tim and Six Ball like this.
  23. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

My 181 (not pictured) is about ready for final assembly. Machining, trial fit of new pistons, cam to check valve clearances etc. accomplished. Next is to send out the rotating bits for balance. Except for final grinding etc. I’ve finished my intake manifold and the modifications to my header. I needed clearance for both steering shaft and alternator. The show goes on.

Attached Files:

6inarow and Tony Main like this.
  24. v860rich

v860rich

Bill, That looks like a nice bit of kit you've got there.
    I'm glad everything is coming together for you.

THANX RICH

25. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Thank you Rich. You’ve been really helpful and I appreciate it.

26. Tony Main

Tony Main

IMG_20200514_194634_524.jpg
    Little more progress on mine. Next steps finish oil pump bracket, and plumb. Then get the race car ready.

27. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I have casting patterns to cast the FI intakes for the Duggan 8 port heads along with several raw castings. They look like they would fit the Fontana head.

1-SHOT and Tony Main like this.
  28. Tony Main

Tony Main

Interesting! I think all the Fontana injections are Hilborn or Kinser, both mine measure 2-7/16" butterflies.

29. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I think I still have a pic of the head. I'll post it and you can see how similar they are.

Tony Main likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Tony Main likes this.