Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Looking good! Hopefully getting started on mine in a couple of months. You should be finished by then. HA!

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a buddy that lives just down the road and he is working on a nice chopped A. He took out the banger and is transplanting an 8BA in it's place. In the meantime he repaired a twisted frame and about a hundred other tasks. It has been apart for a couple of years and will be a while longer. He stops by about every weekend and he makes that same comment about me building my truck faster than he swaps motors. I should slow down, otherwise I wont have any more projects and I'll have to talk to my wife more. :cool:

loudbang, Stogy and hotrodA like this.
  3. Rckt98

Rckt98

There is always golf?

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Golf this time of year in the PNW requires flippers and a snorkel.

Desoto291Hemi, 73RR, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. Rckt98

Rckt98

Does that effect your swing?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really but the rain waters down my whiskey and that's just plain simple communism.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes it does, pretty hard to swing a club in a dinghy!:mad:

8. loudbang

loudbang

Are you committed to the running boards? Maybe get the photoshop guys to do it without them. Not my car but it MAY look better without them.

1947knuck and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. My .02 cents worth is, It's TRUCK. It's a 40 Ford Truck. It's far from Stock but it's a Truck. It's not a Kustom or a Rat Truck, it's an Adjusted Hot Rod Truck and most of all for his Wife if I remember correctly. Trucks need Running Boards, specially this one. However I'm not against giving them a little adjustment to go along with all the other things that have been corrected.
    That said I'll take my Meds and go back under my Rock.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife says I need to be committed. I don't think she means to a relationship. But regardless, I am committed to the running boards...for now.
    Well buddy, I adjusted them. Anxious to hear what you think.

I did do some playing today. Not sure what the responses will be but I like it...I think. A few month back I bought a set of pipes off @Moriarity , ribbed header dump pipes like he runs on the vette. I love that look and since buying the pipes I have been thinking about mounting them. They couldn't go under the boards or I would scrape them on every driveway and speed bump, I also would never get my lift under the truck.

The solution was to tunnel them into the running boards. The pipes are 1.75" diameter so I ran up to my buddies muffler shop and had him throw a bend in 2.250" steel pipes. No need for mandrel bend, as I am only using the very outside of the pipe (not the crushed inside curve).

I sliced the pipe with a plasma cutter at an angle so the depth of the pipe is deeper near the front and shallower toward the rear.
    upload_2020-2-1_20-36-27.png
    The edge of the running board allows for this pipe to lay inside the original dimensions. I added a round cut up front to give the opening some depth and a finished look once it is painted. Here is a better shot with the pipe installed. It is recessed deeper into the board at the front and shallow a the back.
    upload_2020-2-1_20-39-21.png
    The welding isn't done but I will finish it later while prepping the boards for paint so I am not welding out of position when there is no need. The turn out end of the pipe, I used a 3/8" spacer on the rear to emphasize the move away from the running board for visual impact. Mounting hardware is all hidden so the pipes seem to float inside the cutout.
    upload_2020-2-1_20-42-5.png
    I love the shape of the running boards as the leave the front fenders (one of the things that make 40 trucks so cool) and I didn't want to lose that adding my pipes. That is why they are pushed back as far as they are and tunneled so deep up front. From above, the curve of the board is unaffected as planned.
    upload_2020-2-1_20-46-15.png
    4 hours to build one side...not something I would want to do for a living. But a cool characteristic that will help define this truck. If the super bowl is boring I will get the other side done tomorrow.
    upload_2020-2-1_20-55-6.png

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I like the idea of the pipes recessed in the running boards, but I think I would like it better if the pipe was consistently recessed although I realize that that would be tricky where the caps end up need more clearance than the rest of the pipe and I don't have any ideas right now on how to pull that off.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get it. Like I said, there is a 3/8ths spacer behind the rear part of the pipe. I'll pull it out tomorrow and take another pic and post it up.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dude that rules! Way cool

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. B,B, not sure who's been influencing you of late but I could probably get along with him. You know I like things that make a statement. That does it for sure. Now the other side of me I can't seem to stop. I'm a critic. If your going to make a statement then it must have Fit and Flow. That said and if I were doing it I would have made a Buck that had the light arc of the running board and adjusted the pipe to match that arc and then changed the radi. of the end cap just a tick so it was a bit tighter and the cap came away from the running board a little more. Then I might set the pipe so the vertical center line was right on the cut line of the recess. In other words half in and half out. Yes, I like it and it's almost like I would have done it for myself had I done it. You have a winner there and should be proud. Taking a pair of Cherry and hard to come by anything and cutting them up takes Balls. Well done pal.

15. Glad to see you're retaining the running boards..they really connect the dots so to speak on these p/u's.
    The unique design of your creative side pipes will yet again add to separating this p/u from the others out there.
    On the side pipe issue, I like the way you recessed them in, and the way they enter and exit..personally I would like them to be longer, with more chrome/stainless tubing exposed prior to the ribbed area, exiting closer to the rear wheels..centered with the length of the running board.
    Just my thought, not sure if you wanted any opinions, if not disregard mine.
    Thanks for the updates, enjoy following your build.
    No doubt you'll pull off the "look" ..your "look" with this build.

Stogy, weps, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wrestled with this idea. In fact one of my idea had me running longer pipes like you said and using the exit in the side pipes as the exhaust exit for the mufflered pipe from under the truck. These short pipes with their ribs had me the first time I saw them.
    You have to be careful having me hang around your shop. I soak up ideas like a cheerleader soaks up booze on prom night. And you are right, I gave a lot of thought to running the pipe half in, half out. But in my mind, I see movement and thrust (right word?) to having the pipes trying to jump right off the truck. Like Zoomies or lake headers, they look like they're full of angst.

17. There is a cure for side pipes doing the Shake, Rattle - Roll. These little Jewels come in all kind of sizes. Let's you go from Shake, Rattle - Roll to I'm mounted solid and don't want to move.
    [​IMG]

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went about starting to assemble the bed when I realized the rear frame member was replaced earlier in life and not drilled for the rear timber that locates the bed. That means drilling a hole threw the 2" rear frame member and the reinforcement flanges that that were added by the PO. I marked them with an awl and set about the "holey" rite. (note: Holley in tank fuel pump installed and plumbed, no return line needed, internally regulated)
    upload_2020-2-12_20-4-9.png
    I despise hand drilling so I had a thought. Why not scoot my drill press over and take advantage of a 2 post lift?
    upload_2020-2-12_20-0-35.png
    Sometimes I think myself a genius. Other times I prove myself a moron. Tonight it was the former.
    upload_2020-2-12_20-2-49.png
    Drilled out easy and true. A little hillbilly but WTF!. I did have a bit of Bourbon during the process (I do my best work that way).
    Task completed I installed the LoKar TV cable on my A518 tranny (I get SHO now:cool:). They make some great products, went in easier than the instructions suggested.
    Last item tonight, I got an OTB air cleaner the other day and tried it out. I haven't cut the mounting stud yet but I think I like it, I tried a round air cleaner but it was tight to the M/C. This oval unit fits nice and is pretty stylish. I might add some black and white paint to the finned area to match the valve covers.
    upload_2020-2-12_20-15-3.png
    That red MSD coil will get some black paint. I milled a spacer for it to sit above the intake runner and used a ford 5.0 bracket on an intake bolt.
    The air cleaner has some cool air foil looking ribs that fade away at the back. Makes for a mean look. Definitely no billet piece.
    Getting close to start up. :cool: Stay tuned. Same Bat time, same Bat channel!

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear crossmember the PO installed is heavy duty! As it was explained to me, he installed it to attach a tow receiver. The result is there is not any clearance between it and fuel tank. That isn't a big concern except I decided to add a rear bumper and there is no room for the bolts and/or nuts...nuts!

What I came up with is adding weld in bungs. I could have drilled and threaded some bar stock but I opted for the easy route and ordered some on line from the Bung King.
    upload_2020-2-14_18-41-8.png
    They showed up fast, got them today USPS. 7/16 14 bungs 1 1/2" deep with a nice chamfer ready to weld in.

So I ran home and got cookin. Its Valentines Day so I had to work fast. I needed 3/4" holes and that rear cross member is thick so I decided on the plasma cutter.
    I used my bumper brackets to mark the hole and clamped a guide to the frame.
    upload_2020-2-14_18-46-13.png
    I used a smaller guide than necessary and reamed the bung hole out with a step drill and acorn grinder to make sure the bung hole was snug and tight. Nothing worse than a sloppy bung hole.
    I used a magnet to fish out the plug out.
    upload_2020-2-14_18-48-24.png
    I wasn't too worried about the paint since it was bolted to my rotisserie during finishing, the rear bar wasn't well painted well anyway. Pretty good paint though to take that much heat and do this little damage.
    upload_2020-2-14_18-54-54.png
    Grind and finish
    upload_2020-2-14_18-57-47.png
    Then I turned to the corner bolt that was going to be a real pain to get to and did the same on both sides.
    upload_2020-2-14_18-59-53.png
    All wrapped up before Mrs. Bandit got home from work. I am the bung king! :rolleyes: I have got to order me a shirt from those guys!!

Attached Files:

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ryan, Billy's cuss'n again, he called me a bung hole!

Stogy, Hotrodmyk and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. When that piece of Square Tube was first installed we knew there would be no space for nuts due to the Gas Tank. The 1/4" wall wasn't thick enough material to just thread for new bolts. The decision was to build a different set of Bumper Irons and drill 1/4" pilot holes all the way through both sides of the 1/4" wall. Then 1/2" holes front side and 1-3/4" on the back side for socket access and be able to use standard short bolts. That information didn't follow the Truck to B,B's shop. As some might wonder why the tube wasn't long enough to be a tight corner joint and a vertical weld, that was so you could use an open end wrench to hold the nut for the incoming bolt. Just another occasion of different ways to get-er-done.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could have tattooed it on my eye lids and I wouldn't have followed suit. I have a bad habit of marching to my own piano player. Whatever I meant by that :cool:

Mike, yak at ya tomorrow. I gotta run to Parkrose and fetch some hardware in the AM to mount the bed timbers. If your around later, stop by.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I prepare to build the bed I did get some preliminary work done including mounting the subfloor and beams.
    I also stuck my bumper brackets on the truck utilizing my new previously mentioned bungs. I need to have the bumpers mounted so I know how far to run out my exhaust pipes.
    upload_2020-2-20_9-52-22.png
    The bumpers are '41 super deluxe that I picked up from Chris in Spokane. I was admiring them on his roadster in a post one day and thought they would make a cool addition. I haven't chromed them yet as the rear bumper will either need to be re-drilled and filled or the brackets need some surgery as the inside bracket is 5-6" short of the bumper hole. I do like where the guards sit so I think bracket surgery is the answer.
    I used the '41 front bumper license plate bracket in the rear, love the art deco look of it. I'm thinking now about modifying a pair of license plate lights to serve as bumper guard bolts...hmmm.
    I hope the tailgate clears that license plate. I hope the pacific is as blue as they say. I hope I see my friend Andy again...sorry, I digressed.
    upload_2020-2-20_9-51-29.png
    Up front the same treatment. I may or may not go with the guards. I think I like them and they will protect my grille and fog lights a bit.
    upload_2020-2-20_9-54-2.png
    Love that "ford" script in the bumper. This one bolts right up. They need a little massaging and some of the shiny stuff but I have been worried about my chromer making his mortgage payments without my contributions.
    Finally for last night, here is a nifty little trinket I picked up on line. I needed a heater hose fitting on the intake but there is no room to get fancy...or is there.
    upload_2020-2-20_9-58-8.png
    This is a 2 piece unit that had just enough room to thread in the riser between those intake bolt castings. Then once tight, you add the 90 degree water fitting. It is O ringed and comes with a tool to tighten it. I still need to wipe off the excess thread sealer. I like using the Permatex sealer that comes in a glue stick looking container. Just go to remember to clean up when your done. I could have gone straight up but that looks like dick.
    Next, on to the bed build and some rear fenders. I'm itching to order some wheels but I need fenders to measure the offset.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Shadow Creek, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nice, really like the bumpers

loudbang likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the right side pipe cut in. What a job. I come up with some stupid ideas.
    upload_2020-2-25_19-30-54.png
    I sprayed a little black around the insert to let me get a visual of once it is painted. It'll be cool.

26. Rckt98

Rckt98

I am really enjoying your build thread Billy. Great workmanship.

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Where did you score the pipes? Did I miss it?

28. Like your bumper choice, what tail lights are you going with?

29. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man you didn't need that little dap of spray paint for this to be cool---but hey you already know that don't you?

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Driving old cars is fun but I get a lot of satisfaction building them. I'm glad you enjoy watching.
    Mark Moriarty, who else. I complimented him on the pipes on his vette and he mentioned he had another NOS set. He warned me they wouldn't come cheap, that only made me want them more! I don't plan many mods on the exterior of the truck (they don't need them) so the pipes were essential in my book. Maybe some wheel well radius work after I figure out the tire sizes.
    I'm going to be installing 40 passenger lights. One of my rear fenders was already cut for the light, I will match it up on the other side. I bought some blue dot lenses for them. Should look real nice with the rear bumper. Still looking for a cool reverse light idea. Maybe just one on the drivers side, something vintage? Jury is still deliberating.
    Ha! After I ground down my welds the clean metal of the rusty running board was shining too much for me to see the pipe, thus the matte black krylon. The truck will be black, the boards may be rhinolined (along with the inside of the fenders) or painted depending on how the sand blast and sanding turns out. They are a bit rusty, but straight and salvageable.

When I have the boards off the truck I will finish the welding/rust repair and add a little steel to the bottom edge of the boards under the cutouts. I want that bottom edge straight and tight.