Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driver50x, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Driver50x

Driver50x

Has anyone here ever titled a new T-Bucket in Florida? I don’t need registration yet, as the car is far from done. But I’m thinking it might be wise to get started on the title for it. I built my own frame etc. so I don’t have any paperwork at all for it, and I’m not exactly sure where to start.

2. upspirate

upspirate

1. Online, FL DMV website how to title home built vehicle
    2. Go to DMV office and ask

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You should have received a "certificate of origin" from the body or frame maker. That starts your path to a title. Gary

4. 54vicky

54vicky

he is frame builder as to body henry is not replying to requests

Texas Webb and Driver50x like this.

5. Call the DMV and ask them about the frame, maybe photographs if you took any? Did you buy the raw material for the frame and have receipts for it? But again, call your DMV and ask.

Charlie Stephens

upspirate likes this.
  6. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Talk to Florida Fast AutoTitle Service Inc.
    6310 N. Nebraska Ave.
    Tampa, Fl. 33604
    813/237-5805
    [email protected]
    WWW.FLORIDAFASTTITLE.COM

The owner is a former cop named Karen. Ihaven't used her services; when I talked to her a few years ago her fee was around $200 and most of that is fees she pays to the state.

Driver50x likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't have your paperwork sorted out, your project should be far from started.

Don't start another "I cannot get my car titled and registered" saga thread.

lonejacklarry, 5window and 54vicky like this.
  8. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I waited a few years before getting my 54's title up to date. I didn't think it nessisary since the car is far from driving, but I was very lucky to have a helpful and forgiving DMV clerk who accepted my paperwork, which was properly signed, but 10 years old.

At least in Texas, you get a non-registered vehicle title. That way theres no fees or taxes until its ready to be registered.

Can't help with the vin number data. Mine used the engine block serial and they never cared about body or frame numbers.

9. Driver50x

Driver50x

Here is an update to this Thread.

As you might know, In 2007 Florida Governor Charlie Crist signed into law the SEMA Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Titling Bill.

As for as I can tell, nobody has ever used or implemented this bill. I asked around on the HAMB and a couple Facebook groups and I can’t find a single person who has ever used it.

I think the only (legal) way to title a newly built Hot Rod is to title it as an “assembled from parts”vehicle. Call your local DMV and ask them where the nearest “Regional Field office” is. Stop in there and pick up an application packet. I ones I found online are all outdated. It’s about 12 pages long. You will need a receipt or bill of sale for your body, frame, engine, trans, rear end, bumpers, fenders, doors, floor pan, etc. Once you get the paperwork approved you will schedule the vehicle inspection. You will have to trailer the car in for that. I think the inspection just involves checking things light the horn, lights, windshield wipers, etc. I’ve asked several times for a list of exactly what is required, and they have not been able to provide one.

When you pass the inspection, they will issue you a VIN number and give you a sticker that goes on the door.

They told me not to start this process until you are about ready to drive the car, because you have to schedule the inspection shortly after the paperwork is approved.

The car will be titled as a 2020 assembled from parts vehicle.

There is only one Regional field office in the whole Tampa Bay Area. There is only one guy who works there who can approve an assembled vehicle. He is very unhelpful and contradicts himself over and over.

The reason he rejected my paperwork the first two times was because the bill of sale for my fiberglass body did not look “professional enough”, even though it had all the required information and signature. He was never able to tell me specifically what was wrong with it.

Next, I rented a U-Haul trailer and towed the car in for the vehicle inspection.

When I got there, they told me to unload it and pull it inside the inspection bay. About 8 people came out to look at it, just out of curiosity. They did ZERO “inspection” of anything mechanical or safety related!

There was only one thing they were interested in. I used a title for a 1979 Chevy Malibu in my name, as the source for the engine. The “inspector” asked me where the numbers on the engine were, so I showed him. He then pulled out the title and said “these numbers don’t match”. Well no kidding. I told him that in 1979 the VIN number was not stamped on the engine. He spent a few minutes stewing over that. He kept saying that we had to find some way to prove that engine came out of that car. Then he said “well this is a hell of a mess”, and disappeared into the office for about 10 minutes. Another guy then came out and said “It’s OK, you’re good to go. The second guy then attached a pink sticker, with my new VIN number, to the car.

The “inspection” cost $40, and the title was $85.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

Thanks for the update...BTW, how did the car turn out?
    Pics?

11. Driver50x

Driver50x

It’s just about ready for that first test ride. :)
    E3C215FD-1C7E-4C60-A4A2-3A7AA57B2117.jpeg 0C514840-7C84-4F10-876B-ADCCA595721E.jpeg 1AEF473C-1A11-4F32-8AA8-A175DD99CEAE.jpeg 64923EEE-2DF1-4CEA-8C7A-BD45E71AA36E.jpeg E3C215FD-1C7E-4C60-A4A2-3A7AA57B2117.jpeg 0C514840-7C84-4F10-876B-ADCCA595721E.jpeg 1AEF473C-1A11-4F32-8AA8-A175DD99CEAE.jpeg 64923EEE-2DF1-4CEA-8C7A-BD45E71AA36E.jpeg

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if they have a replica title and tell them it is a 1923/27, pick one, replica.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see that you survived that step.,

Driver50x likes this.
  14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Im really surprised they gave it to you with no windshield, mirrors, or mufflers (unless you have baffles). Does having a 2020 year title make it need 2020 emissions and safety items?

15. Driver50x

Driver50x

These pictures are not the most current. When I got the inspection it had a windshield and mirrors. I stuffed a glass pack muffler inside the headers, although the inspector didn’t seem to care about any of those things.

16. Driver50x

Driver50x

From what the local DMV tells me, there is no such thing as a replica title in Florida.

17. Driver50x

Driver50x

No it doesn’t. Not in Florida.

18. The Florida DMV inspection is ONLY to verify the VIN and odometer reading.
    Do you have a VIN?
    There is a form that you have to fill out for the inspection.
    FINE PRINT: the inspection DOES NOT have to be by the DMV.
    It can be done by an officer of the law, a used or new car dealer.
    They just sign and stamp it with their letterhead.
    I have been through this process twice.
    If you do not have a VIN you have to provide a receipt for major vehicle components, fill out the form and you will receive an assigned VIN number. Note: If you go to the DMV only a few clerks know of this procedure and they will give you the run-a-round. Out of the three DMV's close to me, only one clerk knew of the proper procedure.

Driver50x likes this.
  19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Too late now, but I would've searched out someone in the Florida Street Rod Assn (State chapter of NSRA), & probably SEMA, too; & found out what they know about that new titling bill. Those are usually done to make life easier on rodders. Often, getting a NSRA Safety 23 sticker is usually part of the deal too. It might be possible to change title from what you have to that version, which might get you some decent benefits, at least as far as current "hoops" you've got to jump thru, or will in the future. Including getting it named as what it represents ~'23 vs '2020.
    Glad you got it titled at least.
    Marcus...

Rick;
    What do they define as a VIN? IIRC, most cars ~'55 & back don't have VINs. Serial #'s, body #'s, engine #'s, frame #'s etc, but not VIN. I've had this circular argument w/more than one P.O./Sheriff, due to a purchased car (by me) getting "stolen" (from the seller)(99.9999% sure it was fraud). Only found 1 or 2 that were willing to listen to the explanation, but still never got decent usable info from them.
    TIA.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Driver50x likes this.
  20. Driver50x

Driver50x

Rick,
    At the DMV inspection they put a pink sticker on my car with an “assigned identification number” That is now my VIN.

dana barlow likes this.