Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Today I had my faith restored for all mankind. I was at the local DMV center at 5 a.m. waiting for a walk-in renewal of my driver’s license. The DMV has always been a boon for critiques and jokes. We all have at one time or another developed a sense of dread ever since our 16 year old driver’s test. But, putting all of that aside, this visit was as funny as it was, heart warming.

The DMV appointment slots are usually the way to go, as you can set the time of your arrival prior to your license expiring. No lines, no waiting, walk in, go to a window, fill out forms, pay, and take a cool “jail” photo, then the big digital DMV test we all dread. I waited a month or two to get my appointment. The nearest appointment was a month after my licensed expired. So, I decided to walk in early in the morning. Most DMV places are open at 8:00 am. But for some reason the So Cal region has set certain days to open at 7:00 am for walk-ins and any appointments.

The last time I was at the DMV was 5 years ago and they did not have the service available or I forgot about it. But, I did have an appointment to renew my license. So, this time I waited too long to make an appointment and was screwed for my license expiring, then go to the appointment. Now, I decided an early rising hot rod/surfer guy could get up early and be first in line for the waiting opening at 7:00 a.m.

So, I was the first in the lot at 5:30 a.m. I then took a nap until headlights flashed me awake at 6:00 a.m. It was time to walk over to stand in line. I was 2nd in line at 6:00 a.m. I met #1 and #3 as they were talkative 30 somethings waiting for their spot to renew a license, too. They were nice young guys. There was a smattering of new cars in the parking lot and I spotted one HAMB friendly pickup truck in the far reaches of the lot. I tried to see who was coming to stand in line from that old truck. Within a 30 minute period, 25+ people walked up to get in line. By the time the door was opened at 6:45 AM, there were at least 10 more people walking across the parking lot.
    upload_2020-1-24_4-39-49.png a similar looking Ford truck in a light grey or beige.
    Finally, the DMV lady came to the door and passed out some forms. The people around us somehow formed a bond and the talking/organizing forms was the topic of conversation. #1 and #2 had to go inside to the computer room to fill out a Real ID screen. The command from the DMV lady was…if you don’t finish the print out and get a number, you will lose your place in line. (All to the gasp of others in line.) Now, my friend and I hurried to the computer room and it took us several minutes to finish the Real ID Form. We did not lose our place and we were still #1 and #2. Yes!

As we were sitting in our respective chairs in the waiting room, we got called up to different windows. I had all of my papers ready for both the license renewal and the required Real ID form. I selected a DMV license with the Real ID as part of the one card. (people can get a separate Real ID card if so choosing)

When it came time to pay for the license, the lady behind the counter said cash or debit card. What? I had a couple of credit cards with good limits on each, but she would not accept them. My wallet had $22 and not the $37.00 as required. The license renewal form does not say cash debit, only… The desk lady’s comment was, “…come back when you have the cash, (I had cash and a debit card at home) and if we are not crowded, you can come back to the window.” Yes, good luck on that return episode.

So, I was disappointed and irritated. We almost live in a cashless society and who likes to carry a ton of cards in our wallets? But the lady was adamant. So, I saw #1 standing at his window and asked if he could loan me $20 dollars. What??? was the look on his face. Then he promptly pulls out his money clip and reels off $40 dollars. I only needed $20. So, he gave me the money, with no questions asked. When I said I would definitely pay him back, he smiled and said OK. Who is this friendly guy and why did he give me money? Who is a person that asks a total stranger for money in a DMV office?

Jnaki

Well, I paid, to the astonishment of the DMV lady, went to take my photo, and take the written test. I passed with one error (something about a $1000 fine or 6 months in jail) #1 was just finishing his test and we both walked out with smiles on our satisfied faces. I asked if he could follow me to an ATM machine and he said ok. We were going to stop at a restaurant for some breakfast on me,too.

But, he had to get to work about 5 miles away, so I asked if his truck needed gas. He said yes, so we went to the closest gas station and I bought him a full tank. He only wanted $20 dollars worth of gas. I told him he saved me in the odd ball situation and I would fill his tank to the brim. The tank stopped at $24 dollars. He did not want any extra cash, either.

I thanked him profusely and we both said our goodbyes. My thoughts of kindness in 30 somethings had been reinvented with this one step in being the best person one could be. He was not the driver of the HAMB approved pickup truck, but as a 30 something has a great outlook on life... Thanks…#1

2. Today the temp is just above freezing point . Nobody outside so decided to make some noise in the backyard. I have a good but dirty mid 30's Ford front axle that was under a haywagon. Spindles are welded to the axle but just around the outer edges and not between the back of the spindle and the head of the axle. Decided to give it a go with the grinder. All went well. 30 minutes total time. First bash out the kingpin, then start grinding away on the welds. Once you see a thin black line show up from the original steel stop grinding. The BFH does the rest to break the final thin left over pieces of weld. Final fine grinding still to be done. Axle is allready red too :rolleyes: :D
    1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG

weps, osage orange, UNCLECHET and 2 others like this.
  3. The 110 volt electric motor on the squirrell cage fan that circulates the heat from our outside wood stove gave up the ghost. So I rummages around in my hoard and found a really old Craftsman 1/4 Hp motor. set it on the kitchen table and it worked but went to smoking. I unplugged it and shook out some redclay dirt dauber mud nest. So took it to the shop and used compressed air to clean it out. Back inside to the kitchen table. and it ran perfect. Except for the wrong rotation. Looked it over and made a guess of which wires to swap to reverse the direction of rotation. and that worked. So its now installed and working great. During the extreme cold it runs constantly and I think the motors overheat.

4. Ive got a wishbone axle that's been welded like that. I possibly could do the same thing?

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  5. v8flat44

v8flat44

Went ot the storage to check the 52 Vic, Propped the door open with my trusty old stick,
    Pulled back the cover & she looked real good, So i thought i'd take a look under the hood.
    Popped it open and what did i see, the mildly souped flatty stare'n back at me
    Well, the rain & roads were noth'n but crap, so i went back home and took me a nap.

6. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Ordered 2 fender to cowl brackets for my ‘57 Chevy Sedan in order to install 2 new front fenders.

7. Worked on getting my rear axle hung in the frame. Made a simple fixture to hold the spring perches IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1429.JPG at 49.5" and tacked up the brackets. Only one leaf right now and the back half of the brackets still need to be tacked up. I try to make a little progress every day.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I bead blasted a Winters quick change rear end housing, to remove crappy rattle can.

Then I machined it to convert it to accept a reverse-rotation ring and pinion.

Tomorrow, I will clean up any leftover sharp edges, to protect my hands, and to prevent stress risers.

mad mikey, Budget36 and osage orange like this.
  9. where you around when the record Killer Bee attack happened in Bisbee?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Made a big empty space by selling off an OT car that had engine issues that would cost more to fix than the car would be worth. Guy paid me his buddy loaded it up and strapped it down and gone. Money goes in the hot rod kitty box. Now to get something else ready to sell so I have another empty space.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AMBR all day, with a start at Flo’s at the Chino Airport.

mad mikey and David Gersic like this.
  12. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I hung up some junk on the walls of my garage, cleaned up the bench, swept the floor, and worked on my 50 Ford getting it ready to go to a friends for some work. I'm enlisting some help to get my old 50 on the road again. I've been too busy being a care taker for my 93 year old dad to spend much time on anything else. A pretty good day all in all.

13. Taking care of your elderly parents is a hard task. they can sometimes be like 5 year olds that you cannot spank. your a good person for taking care of your dad.

mnjeff, 61Cruiser, HotRod33 and 3 others like this.
  14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Yes, it's tough. It seems rolls reverse. That's life but it sure is tough. I will say we're probably closer than I can ever remember. When I drive him somewhere we're just a couple of old buddies cussing at all the young people! LOL!

15. I finished the rough out of 10x20 my pallet rack/mezzanine in the north west corner.
    Enough to load it and try to come up with a system. Lol.
    7E336006-1745-407B-B78F-E9C5E9A4543C.jpeg

I liked it so much I cloned it in the south west corner. So now Ive got 2 areas to figure out.
    10F475C5-A0A4-433B-895D-B5E1D12BE978.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    bymanr, Old wolf, GordonC and 3 others like this.
  16. Sunshine today. Ground still wet from the last few days of drizzly rain. So I went and burned the dead grass weeds and other residue between my fence and Hwy 93. controlled burn that will not hurt the dormant grass. Its a precaution if it gets dry and windy a fire could get started on the highway right of way and get out of control. now theres nothing to fuel any fire on my side of the highway. also burned up a lot of plastic bottles and other litter that folks throw out alongside the road.

osage orange likes this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice day in Cali today, wifey and I took a drive one town over to buy a cigar and power ball ticket 419B1C00-AC3A-4944-9DCD-AE2BDFF35C43.jpeg

18. I’ve got way toooo much to do so I’ve recruited help.
    She said “I love you honey”
    I said “How much? Wanna help me? “
    “How can I help? “
    Well I need a simple and safe motorcycle pallet
    A place to eat lunch in the shop
    A designated tools work bench that’s holds the tools I use every day and is not in my way.
    A way better steel rack I can move.
    And a big ass hanging shelf.
    A way to organize a fab shop that doesn’t look like disaster 100% of the time
    Didn’t even look at me funny.
    She finds and sends me this ,,
    SHES THE BEST!!

Ive still gotta build it all though and shop style.
    Folds up or down and instead of breakfast table and dinner wear ...
    62378691-E14A-4073-BBF7-8B17B43F51EE.jpeg
    It’s going to have your every day go to tools and be a work bench.
    0FC87F39-F516-42E5-898D-AE6F0B22C28F.jpeg 6EFBC2C7-9382-402B-BFBF-F972624EF1B8.jpeg

A place to eat - take your pick but I want that picnic table for our porch, isn’t easier to build 2 of something?
    0C82A2D3-1589-42F6-A1ED-5CF334632924.jpeg B30EBB64-007F-47A7-8CF9-CE920F9A766F.jpeg
    Super simple pallet for your dads motorcycle
    A33D18AC-BF74-4A76-A40E-2C45EED08B26.jpeg
    Hanging shelf no posts
    C9DE0080-EB49-40E7-A877-52B0031DAEA6.jpeg
    Steel rack needs HD wheels or fork pockets
    9E45C17C-CD20-498A-8A74-427202C39562.jpeg 390FFD62-EB92-4B04-9A05-4B532A23DC39.jpeg
    Nice shop

0CAE47A4-8468-4A2D-B6AB-7490CD541CEA.jpeg

Man can she cook too!!

LAROKE, stanlow69, weps and 4 others like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Went with a Buddy down to Turlock, for the Largest Nor-Cal Swap Meet - held at Stnaislaus County Fairgrounds SAM_0950.JPG SAM_0968.JPG SAM_1003.JPG SAM_0982.JPG SAM_1040.JPG SAM_1018.JPG SAM_1035.JPG SAM_0974.JPG

LAROKE, Lil32, impala4speed and 4 others like this.
  20. Cristian Avena

Cristian Avena
    from Banfield

Hi From Argentina

today 37°C, very hot here.
    First time i cut a wheel.
    Change the ring from 14" x 5,5 to 15 x 5,5.
    Next Weekend i will make 2 more of this.
    Hope get the experience to make this kind of jobs for others Hot Roders

Saludos !
    llanta1.jpeg llanta2.jpeg llanta3.jpeg llanta4.jpeg

LAROKE, Stock Racer, charleyw and 5 others like this.
  21. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fixed my daily driver so I can get to work next week. I didn't want to work on this off topic turd or go to work next week.

22. Budget36

Budget36

Well after a missed trip on my way to Turlock, I got home a few hours ago. Cleared a path and moved one of my roll-aways near the engine I need to tear down. Tired of walking back and forth for tools. Hopefully after work the next few days I can separate tools and parts;)

23. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

A3A160FC-F2F0-4C06-B95F-51E57E5A4ABD.jpeg 07F45166-02B2-4C4D-AD2B-76752EA9BBF7.jpeg DF9E24F2-ABC1-4AB2-BEBF-A2DFEAE61EA0.jpeg Titled the 50 Pontiac and drained the gas tank. Surprisingly it was not rusty after sitting for 7 years guess since it was almost full. Then did a bunch of goat fencing for 5 hours, forgot how painful but rewarding fencing is. 3 males gotta go to some Mexicans to eat, but for now can be housed separate from the nanny’s. Them 3 will be together humping the fuck out of each other like goat prison since they are horny as hell.

swade41 and Old wolf like this.
  24. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Just curious. Why the reverse rotation?

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because my transmission output shaft turns the wrong way.

26. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

27. alot of pics 018.JPG
    Ive owned lots goats in the past. My wife has called me a old goat quite a bit. Wal Mart used to sell a product called Horny Goat Weed!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Lil32 and thegreenbuzzer like this.
  28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Picked up a 63 Chevy with my son.
    Heck of a deal. Solid truck, rebuilt 454 engine, extra doors, already lowered, perfect frame. Gonna be his springtime project.
    Anyone have any trim molding for these?
    IMG_3465.JPG IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3468.JPG IMG_3467.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  29. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Installed Americans On My Shop Truck...It Too All Morning For "Gramps"... DSCN3392.JPG

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good friend is downsizing and I got the call to come and get the unwanted car related stuff. Rented a Didge mini van and covered the floor twice with boxes.:):):):):):):):):):):):):) Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.