Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My wife wants me to clean the bathroom, but my mind is wandering.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody ellingson, Jan 25, 2020.

1. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

My wife wants me to clean the bathroom but my mine is wandering....I have a 1969 327 (VO1513FB/3970010) with the fuelie/camel back/camel hump/ double hump heads (been scolded by my elders for using each of these terms, depending on the guy) with casting # 8782461 on it and a Holley 4 barrel that I have yet to get into my 52 styleline deluxe. All the research I’ve read says that the motor was a 235hp motor, but I cannot find if those were the heads that came stock with it seeing as 69 was the last year before the 350 started. To my knowledge is has a stock cam. Anyone know if that set up makes that HP rating?? Granted I know it the motor is tired, has issues, etc. it will be less. As the title says, my mind is wandering and this is the best place for smart ass answers and knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven and rbrewer like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

FB is Regular production 327 engine, with Powerglide transmission.

specs are 9:1 compression, 2bbl carb, so it's pretty likely the heads and intake have been changed, since this engine came with 1.72 intake valves.

The heads you have produce more compression, and work better with the 4bbl carb.

if you post the casting date codes of the block and heads, we can help you figure out when they were made. That's usually a good way to tell if they've been changed

OLSKOOL57 and cody ellingson like this.
  3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

What is the "elder preferred" nomenclature for those heads?

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

All of the above ….
    Machine shop people call them by the last 3 digits in the casting.

Just Gary and cody ellingson like this.

5. Def not original heads. But good for that short block. The 350 started in 68.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The 350 was introduced in 1967 (as an option on the Camaro).
    I drove a '53 F-100 for 13 years with a 327 and 461 heads and it was a fun little engine. I had a L79 cam, TM-1 intake (I know, I know but it was free), and a 600cfm Holley.
    Like Squirrel said, the heads work better with a 4 BBL.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Screw the engine combo. What coffee shop or bar are you at that allowed you to post this is what my mind is wondering around on.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. clean the bathroom first......

9. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Once I finish cleaning the bathroom I’ll try to get those date codes!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Not sure I follow? Are you suggesting I skipped cleaning and headed to the bar? I most certainly wouldn’t be doing anything in a coffee shop. Or was that post that bad?

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If? and that's all that it is, if. Then you'd be avoiding cleaning the bath room and possibly any other honey does that may arise. This is my smart ass reply as per "As the title says, my mind is wandering and this is the best place for smart ass answers and knowledge!" :D Oh! I've been married, separated, back together then ran. Just further than just down the street though. ;)

hotrodjack33 and cody ellingson like this.
  12. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

+1 for the first smart ass answer! My wife is pregnant so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as decisions are concerned haha!

hotrodjack33 and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

[​IMG]

Here is the head. I haven’t researched any date codes and where to find them but I knew I had a picture somewheres. I will look for the block casting number once I get outside

14. BJR

BJR

Go clean the bathroom, keep the pregnant wife happy, then go build your car. :D

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

May I suggest a run to the store for "say" some "bathroom cleaner" but return with ice cream and pickles instead.
    [​IMG]

Driver50x, raven, gggholson and 3 others like this.
  16. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Haha holy shit I love you guys! You’ve been through it! She has been smashing pickles lately, not mine but you can’t win them all!

Jet96, Driver50x and Johnny Gee like this.
  17. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

A married man cleaning the bathroom is not "traditional". How did things end up going so wrong in just a few generations? Cue the "All in the Family" theme song...

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Since my last post I've made coffee (for when she awakes), washed the dishes AND dried and put them away! Plus, her coffee is in her favorite thermal mug awaiting her and pot is washed as well.

19. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

1962 - 1967 327 1.94 x 1.50 valves

20. Real men don't clean bathrooms.....they dirty them!

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

W-I-I-I-I-C-K---S-H-I

(sound of the P. Whip):D

22. squirrel

squirrel

The casting date is the thing that says E 9 3 (or whatever the number really is, it's hard to read). The casting date on the block will be on the back top of the bellhousing area, not far from the casting number, possibly on the opposite side of the block.

The letter is the month, E is the fifth month so it's May. The first number is the day of the month, in this case May 8th. The last number is the last digit of the year, so it could be 1963, or 1968 if it's really an 8 (hard to see from here), etc.

If the casting was only made from 62-67 then it's probably a 1963 date.

I just noticed your stamped number
    VO1513FB
    doesn't make sense for a 1969 engine, as there is an extra number in there. Should be V, plus 4 numbers for the assembly date, then 1 or 2 letters for the code if it's from 1969 or older, or 3 letters for 1970 and later. That block casting was used from 1969 to 1979. If the number 3 is really a letter, then it would make more sense, sort of...but we'd expect the letter to be T or C (for Chevy Truck or Car), as that was the first letter of the 3 letter codes starting in 1970.

A close up pic of the stamped code would help us figure it out. Also look for another set of stamped numbers up front, which is the partial VIN, such as 15K123456, as a random example.

23. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Damn, good man!!!!!!!!!

seb fontana and olscrounger like this.
  24. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Are you cleaning the bathroom because she told you, or because she’s pregnant ?

25. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

All of the above. Have you ever dealt with a pregnant woman before?! Some crazy shit goes on with those hormones haha!

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If you had not moaned with her, would all be better this very moment? :confused:

27. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Not at all! I’m happy to help out, regardless if I’m told to or asked to. I can’t wait to share my love of hot rods with my kid!! With all the kids nowadays, us young guys and gals need to help keep the love of old cars alive.

winduptoy, Johnny Gee and Driver50x like this.
  28. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Alright squirrel I’ve got some better photos and info. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So if my research is correct according to nastyz28, the casting date would be March 30th of ‘69? According to the page where I highlighted the line, FB was a ‘69 327 w/ PG and 235HP that came in a full size. I’m not sure what the 371386 23N number is, but it was near the bell housing above where the oil filter is. Your thoughts? No VIN# anywhere to be found though?

I also saw that my pass. side head has this stamped into it? View attachment 4555550

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real men do what needs to be done to get it done and don't put tags on things.
    Ex bro in law dipshit that he is cleaned the bathrooms because he hated yard work and mys sister loves yard work even though she is one of the best at keeping house you will ever meet.

Back to the real world, that 69 327 is a big journal 327 using the same block as the 350's with a big journal 327 Crank. Not the pee on your red Nikes small journal 327 that guys seem to think is the holy grail of small blocks. Great engine though.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  30. cody ellingson

cody ellingson