Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Oldsmobile 98 Custom Sports Coupe - Lowering

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cmarcus, Jan 24, 2020.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

Hey all,

So I recently sold my 1952 Olds 88 and acquired a '63 Olds 98. Sweet sweet car, incredibly clean. I could not be happier. Shooting for a full repaint before the season begins.

That being said, another part of the plan is lowering. I have looked into Jamco, and it seems hard for me to swallow nearly $700 for a 3" kit when you can get stock springs and shocks for $300.

Does anyone know of a spring/shock out there there would get me a 3"+ static drop? Like how the Ford guys are using Aerostar springs and getting a 3" drop. Would love to know if anyone else knows of a conventional spring/shock that would work. And no, I do not want to just cut coils.

Thank you!

59960547672__D866B88D-9636-4F39-9A90-0DC9DF6D1D2B.jpeg

jvan and quick85 like this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Check to see what part number of impala springs are, then check interchange. If they will interchange, I ordered springs from hubbards impala that were 2 inches lower and Variable rate. they were the same price as stock replacements. I cut 1/2 coil on all 4 corners. 64.jpg

3. I'm sure I've seen one these 98 coupes somewhere before, but I sure as hell can't remember when or where. There couldn't have a great number of these built in '63. I'd forgotten how much they looked like a Lincoln or full-size Mercury from a side view. Shouldn't take a whole lot to make this look like a unique, one-of-a-kind sled.

Especially with a little bit snow on the ground. . . :rolleyes:

4. cmarcus

cmarcus

Hey Clay, yes, you are correct. From what I have heard and read, only around 3200 were made? Don't quote on that, so I could be wrong. Pair that with the fact that the trans in these was a bit of a weak point, I am sure many dropped out of use and never went back. That is why I was so stoked to find one in such great shape! Below is the end goal, back the the all original white paint, and low slung.

59960547672__D866B88D-9636-4F39-9A90-0DC9DF6D1D2B-2-2-3.jpg

Surfcityrocker, quick85 and flyin-t like this.

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The 63 Big Olds has the same suspension as the big Pontiac so I would look in that direction. The Chevy is an X frame and totally different..

There are spring catalogs that let you order the spring you want.. Most springs they sell today as factory are two or three inches higher that what the car came with..

You could cut half a coil off the fronts and try some GM A body springs in the back..

6. Well....since your doing a re paint...why not nose it and deck it..remove the side badge..some chrome reverse wheels and that thing would be a kool mild Kustom..

jvan, OG lil E and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  7. cmarcus

cmarcus

Personally, I like the badging and trim on the Olds'. And as far as wheels and tires, I am on a budget. I'm just trying to be a little different in that department. I feel like everyone who does a 60s car does a Bellflower kustom. Which don't get me wrong, I love!! Just for the time being, this is the plan. I just really like the sinister look of black steelies and poverty caps, and the tires are fairly new.

8. Be careful or you'll wind up with a car that rides like a log wagon. I have a 2" drop coils on a OT sedan and I hate it. Bottoms out on country roads, doesn't handle any better, tough as hell to get an alignment in spec. Get some nice 15 inch wheels instead. My 2 inflation-ravaged cents....

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't remove any badging. Danchuk is making a fortune from guys putting back on nosed and decked 55-57 Chev's of the past. It never goes out of style. I removed every thing I could before going to body and paint, even the interior rear seat and all side panels to get off the side trim. I was lucky I could lower the windows on there stops and take the whiskers off and new were available.
    Good luck and replace the trans with a th350 because I bet the rear gear is pretty high for an OD .

10. That should be a Rotohydramatic 375 ...1:1 top gear ratio, no OD...

11. oldolds

oldolds

You lower a long and low car like that another 3 inches you will quickly find out how many gas stations are on raised parking lots.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm going to be starting an Air Lift system install on my 61 Super 88 this week. I'm pretty sure the chassis is very similar if not identical. That will give you all the drop you want.

13. I had a '64 88 when I was a kid... springs were all on the shot side and it was lower than your car. It scraped everywhere, driveways, parking lots and I had to be mindful of raised sewer covers. Look up replacement springs in the Moog catalog, it will give you an idea on configuration, rates and sizing. Something 2" shorter with the same spring rate would be a start.

14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'd trade the hubcaps for chrome lug nuts on the black steel wheels..

15. cmarcus

cmarcus

I actually think you are right...I have the spider caps, and think I will leave them...

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 4.16.31 PM.png

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. khead47

khead47

Call Eaton Spring in Detroit.

jvan likes this.
  17. I'm gonna cut your springs while you are sleeping Charlie

18. cmarcus

cmarcus

It's already the plan, brother! :)

19. Just found your thread Charlie and am following along now. :cool: You can't get much more traditional than cut springs...

20. malibuj

malibuj
    from Canada

21. cmarcus

cmarcus

Bringing this one back to the top. I finally decided to go with Jamco 3" static drop.

That being said, while my buddy has the car to put in the springs/shocks ( I just don't have the space or time to do it right now) we are doing bushings, etc. That being said, the are having a hell of a time pressing out the old ones, putting in the news ones, etc. We are starting to wonder if complete A-arms would be the right way to go. However, they do not currently offer complete A arms for a 1963 Olds 98. Can anyone confirm if there is another C-body platform who has control arms that would be interchangeable?

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would stick with the stock suspension parts. Use new rubber bushings and put 1" lowering springs on it.. Use 1/2 tall ball joints in both upper and lower control arms. This will give you a nice camber curve since you will be switching to Positive caster and negative camber..
    The fact that the bushings are hard to get out is a good thing! I'd keep them and reuse them. It shows the arms were hardly used. I get them out in a vise with either pipe couplings or big sockets..
    I would also put the money into a nice Lee 14:1 steering box with a 20 pound valve and a set of Bilstine shocks.

Do you want to just look at it or drive it and look at it?

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Good choice going with the 3" static drop. You can't go wrong with that set up.

I'm almost done with my air ride install in my 61, and would have been long done had I not gotten sidetracked with another Olds I bought. In looking at the pics of the install that @malibuj posted above, there are a few things I don't like about how they went about the install of the front bags especially. But we'll see if my way is better once I have my car back together and on the road.

24. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

When you paint you will Be removing all the emblems and trim. I found while in primer I really liked my car without the rocker Mouldings and wheel well mouldings. I shaved the door handles and Locks and it really emphasizes how long these cars are. I would move your fender badges to the quarter panel rear. I would remove the hood letters, and if you really wanted to keep them integrate them into the grille, otherwise you can use them in the interior.

25. cmarcus

cmarcus

Finally got it done! The Jamco 3" springs and shocks combined with a front end rebuild and alignment have her driving and handling just as good as she looks. Super happy with the outcome!!

IMG_3436.jpg IMG_3432.jpg IMG_3433.jpg

26. Looks good Charlie!

27. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thank you! I do get SLIGHT rub at full lock, so maybe will go to a slightly shorter tire (you know, which will also lower it a tad more... :cool:)

28. Lol...just don’t go to full lock...problem fixed and on a budget. :D

On a serious note, I recently went to taller tires on my 56 which made it look lower (since more tire was up in the wheel well) but also helped my ground clearance some. Seemed like a win to me.

Stan Back likes this.
  29. cmarcus

cmarcus

I guess I didn't think of it that way! Hmmmmm...

guthriesmith likes this.
  30. Chavezk21

Chavezk21