Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Stop/Turn Light Wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Jan 24, 2020.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

So i seen this diagram on here and wired up my rear lights. I'm running just a single light (1157 bulb) on each side in the rear (want to keep it semi original looking) I ran into the problem of the turn signal is working left and right but soon as i hit the brake the one signal that's blinking stops until the brake is released.

turnsignal07.jpg

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You can’t use a simple dtsp switch for a turn signal switch when you use one bulb for both turn and stop light.
    That’s the job of the turn signal switch in your steering wheel. Maybe your trailer adapter isn’t doing the job.

Bones

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother and I were wiring up my lights on my Rebel wiring kit and ran into the same diagram which I wanted to use. It wouldn't work for my 31 with single element bulbs. Luckily I was able to contact Rebel and they were very nice about how it had to be wired to work correctly. I purchased an ad on turn signal kit, which I didn't want on my steering column, so I mounted it up under the dash with the lever sticking out and wired it in and everything now works correctly. My brake lights come on together but when I have the turn signal on for one side that side then flashes until I shut it off. The brake light then comes on. Least I think it does. I also tried the trailer flasher and could not get it to work right either. Been a little while since I did it.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. I'm still using manual turn signals. Arm straight up for right, arm horizontal for left...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Get rid of that wiring schematic. I am assuming that the black box is a trailer adapter. The input to your toggle switch is correct. The right side of the toggle goes to right turn on the black box , the right front turn signal, and the dash indicator. The left goes the same to the left - ignore the rear lights at this point. Brake goes to the brake light switch. Right turn/brake goes to the right rear light. Left turn/brake goes to the left rear. Hook up the tail to the tail/park filaments. That should do it.

8. what is wrong with that diagram?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. thegearhead

thegearhead

i got mine set up just like the diagram. But when brake is applied turns signal won't work unless i let off brake. Maybe the converter box is bad i might try a new one.

Boneyard51 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Lots.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just hook it up like I suggest. Don't overthink this.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should work. You are basically doing the same thing as hooking the switch up to a vehicle with separate stop and turn lights to connect your trailer to it.
    A few years ago someone either on here or another board showed the setup where they had used a regular turn signal switch out of a column from a donor and a mount for it to where it was either under or behind the dash and they had a stubby handle on it to operate it. all you saw was the knob and a real short stalk.

13. A Boner

A Boner

Get a “clamp on the steering column” turn signal kit.

Black_Sheep, egads and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. thegearhead

thegearhead

I'd like to keep the column bare worse case i'll try hiding one under the dash but really wanted a simple toggle

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. intellectually I equate that response to the click, a gun makes when there isn't a bullet in the chamber.

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

When using the same circuit for brake and turn you have to change [switch] back and forth; steering column switch does this.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

You need to isolate the front turn signals from the rear ones since the rear ones need to be switched also for the brake light to function. The brake and turn using the same filament. This is done by the trailer black box. I have done this to 3 of my DD's so that I can pull my teardrop trailer. All 3 of those vehicles have the amber turn signals in back which operate the same as the front turn signals. The black box makes the brake lights function. Why don't you just follow the instructions that come with the black box module? It works.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. thegearhead

thegearhead

I did follow the directions, my front signals work it's the rear that shut off when braking hence why i think there's a issue with the box.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. tim troutman

tim troutman

diagram looks correct to me. I have used the converter box like you are trying to do I had to to put an extra 1156 in the circuit to get enough load to make it work. put it up in the dash in the indicator wire only noticeable in the dark with the signal on. also found box will not work on positive ground or after being hooked to positive ground

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. thegearhead

thegearhead

Another thing is the box i had was opened and i can't remember when or where i got it. For the price of a new one i might as well just buy the column switch and ill hide it up under dash.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. goldmountain

goldmountain

It wouldn't hurt to wire it like I said. What do you have to lose. Isn't it obvious that if you followed the diagram and it Isn't working, that it just might be wrong?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

But no finger ? :D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. evintho

evintho

Dump the trailer adapter and use relays. I wired my roadster using Rich B's diagram. It's simple, correct and it works! I have parks, front and rear turn signals and a 3rd brake light. '39 Ford tail lights and motorcycle turn signals up front.

[​IMG]

For the 3-wire turn signal switch I just used an on-off-on toggle switch under the dash. Works great!

On-Off-On toggle switch

tb33anda3rd and rusty valley like this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

A typical turn signal switch is basically two switches activated by a common stalk. One switch activates the turn switch function. The other one switches the brake lights. In the no turn position, the switch passes current to two wires, one for the left rear light, the other to the right rear light when you step on the brakes. When you signal for a left turn, the brake portion of this switch connects the power from the brake light switch to only the right rear light so if you step on the brakes, the right rear light will be lit, while the left rear light is connected to the turn signal function and will flash and vice versa for the other side. The trailer module just works for this brake switch function since your on - off - on toggle switch is incapable of doing this. Does this make sense?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm having some trouble with something similar. Just posting to follow along.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Cars started out with no lights, then one tail and brake light. Then two tail lights and two brake lights. That was the standard for years. But one of the problems with this system was when they incorporated turn signals into the brake lights, one brake light had to quit working for the turn signal to work. We were then back to one brake light.
    So, then some manufacturers separated the brake and turn light by adding an amber turn signal. Then comes along the third brake light. None of these systems are really compatible, especially when adding a trailer . That’s why you need the little black box for converting from one to the other.
    Most over the road truck have two or three red lights on both sides , combining the two later systems.

Bones

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

We're there ever "little black boxes" before 1965? No. Average vehicle trailer lights are wired just like cars, right?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. rusty valley

rusty valley

often times the little black boxes leak out the electric smoke and then dont work any more once empty

egads, Boneyard51 and Johnny Gee like this.