Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical It sounded like a good idea (50 Merc Grille)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ZZ Top Chop, Jan 23, 2020.

1. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I was looking for something different as a floating grille, when I came across the grill section from a 1960 T-Bird. So I thought I'd give it a shot. First thing out of the box, the teeth does not mount to the bar, it mounts to the grille panel which I was not going to use. So there would be extra time on the brackets but not a deal breaker. After setting in the shell, it just doesn't have the right pitch in the nose, it's too flat. But I'd like to get ur thoughts. It's hard to capture in the pic but it sits inside more than I'd like 20200123_183011.jpeg 20200123_183553.jpeg 20200123_182859.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Not too bad, but I agree it would be better with more angle to it.

3. To me the ends of the horizontal bar look awkward being square and meeting up with the curved grill surround. If it was narrower it might not be as bad but the way it is now right up against the surround I think those two shapes clash.

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Not bad.....

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

It needs 6 more teeth (2 on the ends, the last one smaller) and a little more angle to help with shadow effect. Piece of cake!!! Easy to say, Damn hard to do. I do like what your on to, a refreshing look to a Merc. Bill

clem and belair like this.
  6. 'Mo

'Mo

My thoughts?...Totally do-able.
    Cut a V-section from the center, to achieve the right pitch. (I did this with the '59 Chevy over-rider bar for my Shoebox, without having to re-chrome.) Finish off the ends with parking lights (or bullets) within the grille shell.
    (Personally, I'd remove the existing parking lights, mold the grille shell, round the hood corners, and french the headlights.)

Bigblue61 and Torchie like this.
  7. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I think so too, if I matched the profile of the surround it would only make it sit that much further back

8. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thanks Bill, I thought about adding 4 more, but changing the radius It's going to make the teeth start to turn at an angle I think

9. It wouldn't have to sit right against the surround to look good just follow the same shape.

10. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I plan on it in the future, for sure. Trying to finish the interior and some other things before starting over again

11. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Couple of more photos, u can really see the profile difference in the first pics. 20200123_193537.jpeg 20200123_193530.jpeg 20200123_193515.jpeg

12. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Btw this bar is thin stainless, if I did radius it more, how would I close the gap? I may be able to just leave the cut alone because I'm running a steel bar behind it anyway.

13. Well IMO with that shot from the top it definitely needs to be V cut and bent to fit the angle of the front end before anything else is even considered. With it's current profile I don't think it works at all.

Stogy, lurker mick and WB69 like this.
  14. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

How about duplicating it out of wood or make a simple template from cardboard and cut and trim that to see what it needs to fit?

LBCD likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

The problem with cutting and adding more V to the bar is then the outer teeth are going to be pointing hard left and hard right, you'll see the sides of them from the front. I had cut up a '54 Chevy bar for a custom project once where I added a bunch of V to it, and once the the teeth were back on it, all of the side teeth were pointing in the wrong direction, looked really awkward. And it's very hard to re-clock the teeth to make them point straight ahead again. If you do decide to cut it, this is going to be super obvious right away.

Also, while the design of the bar is pretty, it's a bit thin to run by itself, it kinda gets lost in that big opening.

Not impossible, but I don't think it'll be as simple as it looks at first glance to make it work.

Stogy likes this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Agree on needing to have a V cut to conform with the shape. Also, a couple more teeth would help the look. But, Squablow is exactly correct about the pitch of the other teeth needing to be dealt with too. Also, will there be something else behind it backing it up so not looking directly at the electric cooling fan?

Stogy likes this.
  17. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Yeah I may have to move the fan to clean it up

Stogy likes this.
  18. It looks like the American Graffiti Merc. It doesn't make you go WOW!
    1044780_653824421375424_3906499899603239897_n.jpg

ZZ Top Chop likes this.
  19. williebill

williebill

Bar and teeth look a bit thin for your Merc, IMHO. Reading your post before I looked at the pic, I expected to like it, but I'm not a fan.

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Narrow it down to get it away from the edges of the grille surround then put in more teeth. If narrower, maybe you won't need to angle it. Kind of like a '58 corvette grille.

Looking at Corvette grilles, they look a little off when they are angled.

21. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I appreciate all your input, after thinking it over I don't think I can radius it enough and still hide the cut under the center tooth. I still think this would make a good floating grille, just not a Merc.

Stogy, lurker mick and K13 like this.
  22. Torchie

Torchie

Totally agree with your last post. This has possibilities but not on your Merc. I applaud you for looking to do something different. At this point in customs it's really getting hard not to duplicate the same modifications as everyone else has, and yet not get too radical.
    Keep looking....
    Torchie

Stogy likes this.
  23. philo426

philo426

Didn't they put 53 /54 Chevy grilles in 49 Mercs?

Stogy likes this.
  24. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

You said the teeth are not attached to the bar in it's natural habitat. Does this mean you can rotate them a little to line up fore-and-aft if you miter the horizontal bar in the middle? Or fabricate a new horizontal bar (lying down "U" section) with the correct center angle, and mount the teeth on it? Are the teeth available? Need to add a pair between each pair of existing. Or you can fabricate lots of new teeth ("U" section, maybe tapered a little), and, sorry to say, re-purpose the 'Bird grille as a wall-hanger.

Car looks real nice; deserves some effort to create a stylish but unique grille.

25. Just looking at the front it looks great and I don't mind that the teeth are thin, but the view from above shows that it does not fit all. It does not flow with the design of the Mercury front. The angle is too much off.

Stogy likes this.
  26. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

The teeth attach to the panel on the T-Bird. I tried turning them at an angle, there's not enough material to cover the gaps it will create. I'm going to go another route

Stogy likes this.
  27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

V cut it so it fits the profile of the opening. Then it will look fine.

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with K13

I think that it still could work with a little more grooming. It is kool that you are trying to come up with a new grill idea. Keep working on it and thanks for posting the thread. It creates creativity Kustom thinking.