Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects K-88 Dragster / 6 Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Countn'Carbs, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

"All I want for Christmas is..." Guess I'll find out which list I'm on. A gennie Hilborn for a Fisher Head. It's my understanding Stu Hilborn cast around 15 of these.
    3.jpg

Tman, 1947knuck, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Isn't nature Beautiful! The rail is coming along, this is a hobby, right? Can't wait to see the Shiny, hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I used a lifter bar for anti rotation of the roller lifters I had to "half moon" a notch in each where the push rods went. Our diameter push rods could hit the bar. Just another ting to check...

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The early ones have Hiborn-Travers on them. A friend has a few with both aluminum and cast iron heads. The Howard's and Wayne's shared the same casting for injectors but the Horning/Fishers were all their own. Getting tough and expensive but what can you do.........

5. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

That it is. I was blown away by it and would like to get back there someday and really take it in.

That is really good to know JD and I'll definitely check that. I haven't ordered push rods yet but was planning on 3/8" dia if the lifters can handle the radius. I still need to check that and will definitely keep the bar in mind as well.

Not much you can do especially with the Horning/Fisher being their own animal and only a handful made. Thought about making an injection setup but a gennie Hilborn/Travers would really be neat on the car imo.

6. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Got the car back home and way past time to get after it. The plan at this point is to mock it back up because I need to figure out the needed transmission pan clearance for the belly pan, trim the mid-plate..etc...

I also want to see the car back together with this style of cowl as we kind of had a mid-stream change of style plans and I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. One thing is for sure is the cowl needs to be trimmed further forward on the car, not only for the brake handle clearance but I want to be able to see the Chassis Research dash panel without it being hid under the cowling.

At any rate, it's great to have it back and hope to get it bolted back together before too long, roll it outside and see what we have.
    Dec 2019.10.jpg
    Dec 2019.12.jpg
    Dec 2019.14.jpg
    Dec 2019.11.jpg
    Dec 2019.16.jpg
    Dec 2019.15.jpg
    Dec 2019.17.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'm digging it!!!!!!!!

Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

heres a few pics of mine I built from scratch, a friend did the tin work, its been sitting waiting for me to finish! your inspiring me to get my butt back out there! good work your doing! DSC00258Small.jpg DSC00258Small.jpg DSC00263.JPG d21.JPG d7my dragster.jpg

Attached Files:

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

10. loudbang

loudbang

What's the 59 with TRIPS hiding in the background? :)

1947knuck likes this.
  11. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

1947knuck likes this.
  12. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

The chase vehicle....Elcamino.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  13. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Stuck the axles back in it and threw on the rear wheels.

Dec 2019.18.jpg
    Dec 2019.19.jpg

Dyno Dave, 1947knuck, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

very kool! you will have yours done way before me!

1947knuck, Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  15. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I don't know about that @rd martin but we're trying. I'm about 4 months behind schedule but we'll keep thrashin' and see where we end up.

16. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I went on ahead and decided to get the front end back under the car for what hopefully is the push for final mock-up. Not much to report other than me drilling, reaming and honing chrome parts to get them to fit again.

Here's the crew hard at work as we're thrashin' to get the front end back under it.
    Jan 14.jpg
    Starting to come back together again.
    Jan 15.jpg

Our newest crew member down after having too much water to drink during the thrash....
    Jan 16.jpg
    We carried on without her and got the front wheels, tie rod and drag link back in place. The new chrome is doing it's part.
    Jan 8.JPG
    Another shot...I started to pull the body panel protective coating off but am holding off. I'm still on the fence about how the cowl turned out and I might change it but want to get the car mocked back up and outside before I make any major changes to it.
    Jan 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  17. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I've been trying to decide what I want to do for a running light. I've been all over the place and decided to go with this. The regs talk about "no blinking, no strobes, etc" but nothing pertaining to size, location, etc. A quick e-mail with a picture to Bandimere's tech adviser and he gave me the thumbs up so this is what we're going with.
    Jan 12.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Dyno Dave, 1947knuck, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  18. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Went on ahead and stuck the 12 port back in it - need to figure out a starter and finalize some other misc. details that I've put off.

Jan 9.jpg

Jan 10.jpg
    Jan 6.JPG
    Jan 7.jpg
    Jan 11.jpg
    Jan 4.jpg

19. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Carved out a water pump block off plate and threw that in the chrome pile as well. Need to get a thermostat block-off figured out with a way to get water in the car - I'll probably call in some help on that deal and have one machined - we'll see.
    Jan 5.jpg

So turns out the mini-starter isn't mini enough and at first I thought I could just open up the stock starter opening that is in the mid plate. With that plan the starter hits the lower part of the chassis if I take it straight out as shown. So....I think we need to move the starter down in the car at a lower point on the flexplate. More on that to come.

Jan 3.jpg

20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Man looks sooooo good!!!

Countn'Carbs, loudbang and 6inarow like this.
  21. mkebaird

mkebaird

Nice work, looks bad ass.

22. Beautiful.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Countin’... a few pages back I mentioned I was building a stock head for my sons making our (now his) LSR 40 Chevrolet for the street. He’s now on the rear end having completed the front by adding brakes and keeping the dropped tube axle it had. I’ve finished the engine after scrounging thru my garage and about 70% was used in almost all the records it set at Bonneville and El Mirage. It’s tough waiting to hear in run in the car
    Love your build and reading everything your doing.

99AFCBA4-17E5-4613-8D08-4D35D2878FAB.jpeg FFB5BC19-B931-4C8D-9E37-09DA19AD419F.jpeg

Dyno Dave, Tman, 1947knuck and 8 others like this.
  24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looking rally good!

25. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its funny, when you start building one of these, you think, it will be easy! yea right, there is a ton of things to think about on this, simple project!!!!

26. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thank you for the update JD and how cool is that!! And....if I'm not mistaken...that coupe of yours.... doesn't that car still holds those records to this day at both Bonneville and El Mirage?? Very Cool and a feat few are able to accomplish. Hell one record is hard enough I'm told....let alone two!!
    Glad to hear you guys are still thrashin on your coupe and I bet it is tough waiting for the time to hear that gem scream back to life!!! That is awesome that so many of the parts you used were used during the record runs...talk about giving a car soul. Very Cool and that engine of your looks really good!!
    Thank you for following along and glad you're enjoying this thread. That was my thing going back to page one....not sure how many would find interest in it but glad some do. Keep your updates coming!!

27. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

That is so true rd. Before I dove into this project I did a bunch of homework and asked a lot of questions. I learned a lot with that and no doubt there is more involved than what meets the eye. Fun stuff though and quite a bit different than building my roadster for sure.

1947knuck, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but all the coupe records have past on to others...As they say "you only rent them for a time" Our roadster has one at each venue...

loudbang, Countn'Carbs and Stogy like this.
  29. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Gotcha and thank you for setting me straight.

30. Cool build, thnx for sharing!