Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Does anyone remember Dick Krieger's 'Big Chief' Pontiac Bonneville show car?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ocean56, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

I know that Dick is no longer with us, but I wonder what happened to that car?

It was a '65 Pontiac Bonneville coupe (maybe convertible) that was mostly stock in appearance...but with WILD Native American murals, and INCREDIBLE detailing (the bumpers were intricately engraved, for example).

I saw it in the mid to late '70's in Lima, Ohio, at a show held at the Allen County fairgrounds.

Is it still out there? Anyone have any pics?...:)

Edit: He also had a custom GTO called the 'Golden Goat'....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

I know it is...I just started wondering whatever happened to that particular car. The detailing he did/had done to it was amazing!

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

mid to late 70s with murals and engraved bumpers it sounds more like a lowrider than custom, maybe you could find it on a lowrider site..

4. My BIL's brother owns the car. It is in the Seattle area. He has it in his garage where it is kept in clean dry storage, but never goes out.
    Everything on that car that would fit into the chrome tank was chromed! Really over the top.

~Alden

Surfcityrocker and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Thanks for the reply! I knew someone out there must know something about it!

6. I know that the car ended up on eBay in the last few years. Any idea about its current whereabouts? I would like to do a feature on it for Poncho Perfection Magazine.

'Mo likes this.
  7. This may or may not help you. Also, you may need a Russian translator.

The 1967 GTO, known as "The Golden Goat" that Dick also owned ... is or was, as of 2014 ... in the Sochi Auto Sport Museum. Also referred to as the AutoBeagle Collection.

Maybe the Bonneville ended up there too ? Wish I could help you, a bit more, but that's all I got, Dick Tracy. Good luck.

Screenshot_20190704-144150_Instagram.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think it sold cheap and no clue on where it went.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Anyone got a photo?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. rgtpday

rgtpday

I have owned the Big Chief for the last 12 years. Got it in an eBay auction. Currently for sale in Seattle Craigslist, just search for 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix show car "Big Chief".

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

12. rgtpday

rgtpday

20200121_113048[1].jpg The Big Chief has sold and got on a truck to Minnesota today. Look for it on I-90 over the next couple of days.

13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

There you go, the power of the H.A.M.B. only took 7 years to find the answer!
    BUT IT WAS FOUND!
    KK

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Holy crap! There's a lotta salt, brine and sodium chloride between Warshington and Minnesota and that's an open transport!

scotty t and Surfcityrocker like this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Minnesota? Isn't that Moriarity's home state?
    Does 2+2=4?

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  16. egads

egads

Looks in pretty good shape for a 50 something year old build. :)

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha yup, but I didn't buy it.....and I never would have sent a car like that open transport in the winter.....

18. Agreed!

Love the car & the history, as I have a 66 Catalina & a 64 Grand Prix.

It makes me cringe seeing it on that multi-car open trailer. Not only because of the salt & brine, but being the last car on the bottom, it gets the "whip action" & everything that leaks from the cars above ends up on it. Brake fluid & gear oil do a number on paint & vinyl/conv. tops!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. rgtpday

rgtpday

Sorry, gang, talk to the buyer, not the seller! ;) I paid a bundle for enclosed transport 12 years ago when I bought it, and I did cringe when that open truck showed up for the new owner. The picture may not do it justice, the truck was parked on an uphill slope, and I did spin the tires more than a little getting the Big Chief on the truck!

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So it actually runs,I figured it was just for show and was a non runner. I never seen that car move on its own power.

21. rgtpday

rgtpday

Just heard from the new owner, the Big Chief rode open only to Spokane, where it was transferred to enclosed transport. No snow exposure, arrived at new home as nice as it left my place.

Okie Pete and dana barlow like this.
  22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Photos of the car? Sounds like something I'd like to see more than tiny pics of

23. rgtpday

rgtpday

24. William Mitchell

William Mitchell

I used to work for Dick in the mid 80's at his shop in Dayton. Smoked cigars all the time and drove a gold Grand Prix.I used to work and get paid in car parts haha.

Steve SmithOhio likes this.
  25. Steve SmithOhio

Steve SmithOhio

I bought most of mine and my dad's necessities for our pontiacs over the years from Dick. He had a lot of memorabilia from running a chapter of POCI and all the shows he promoted over the years in Ohio. I still get thrown back when I pass his old shop and really miss the old guy. He was tough to like at first because he was super knowledgeable about pontiacs and would like to tease new people about their lack of knowledge. He became a good friend and I will always remember hanging out at his shop.
    He sold one of his cars to a blind fellow north of Tipp city and I went with ( drove ) him to take him some parts and he told me the story about helping the guy with the car and the need for the guy to have a passion to live being in poor health. The guy had a lot of life in him when we talked about the car and his nephew or who was helping him fix it up.

26. SS327

SS327

I wonder where the car is now? Anybody have any idea? Pictures would be cool too! I have a 65 GP.