Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just noticed this last night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen Barrett, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Charlie Price at Vintage Speed mailed off my rebuilt carbs today along with polished triangular air cleaners and progressive linkage. Can't wait to see how they came out. I also dropped off my oil filter to get the powder coat done. Next is to get some heads. I went to H.F. today too and got an engine stand. I'm really looking forward to getting everything so I can really get moving on it.

2. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Got my carbs today along with air cleaners and linkage. Saved $450 bucks rebuilding mine over getting new ones. Real happy how they came out. IMG_1803.jpg IMG_1804.jpg IMG_1805.jpg IMG_1808.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

So I'm on the hunt for a 2 piece oil pan for a 59a Flathead. If there is anyone out there that has one they want to sell let me know. I just had to pull my pan off to get my clutch and flywheel off. A 2 piece will make my life a lot easier if I have to get in there in the future. Thanks.

1947knuck and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I guess I'm not getting enough activity on my thread because I just noticed it's not featured anymore. I don't know if it's because I haven't been doing enough on my car or if not enough people are commenting. No big deal. I've been waiting on parts from the powder coater and I'm also waiting on a engine hoist adapter that should be coming in the mail any day now. I'm also ordering a bunch of parts in the next day or so.(heads, studs, gaskets etc.) So sorry it hasn't been to interesting on here lately. But don't worry you'll be seeing action on here real soon. So stay tuned.

1947knuck and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  5. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Not really that exciting but I did clean up my transmission today. Hopefully we'll have a warm day this week so I can get some paint on it. IMG_1809.jpg

6. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Ok now I'm confused a little but just from me posting 3 times in the past few minutes my Thread is featured again. Ok cool. The main reason I care is because this was my first Thread and kind of thought getting featured was kind of cool. Well hopefully I'll have more for you in the next few days.:D

1947knuck and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  7. Mart

Mart

Getting featured is cool. You only need the two piece oil pan if you have the 11" clutch. I did just read you took the flywheel off though. That might make a difference. You're making good progress.

1947knuck and Stephen Barrett like this.
  8. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

They make insert's that are better than heli coils for fixing threads. You can get them at NAPA. Time Sert makes all sizes has we have used them to repair blocks for head bolts.

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I'm still watching...........

Stephen Barrett likes this.
  10. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I don't know if it's 11"and I can't measure it till I get back to my storage unit but it's a bitch to get at the bolts and that pan would make it so much easier. Before I pull the pan off my new motor I'll check. maybe I'll get lucky and be able to get my old clutch on it without pulling that one too.

1947knuck likes this.
  11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks man. Hopefully I can get some stuff done real soon. It doesn't help that it's 17 degrees right now but that's not what's stoping me right now.

1947knuck likes this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks Paul. If you go back a few pages there is a whole bunch of info on doing just that. Plus the hole is so f'd up I don't think I could use Heli coils even if I wanted to. When the time comes I'm going to let a machine shop look at it and tell me if it's worth repairing. For now my main goal is get my new motor put in.

1947knuck and paul philliup like this.
  13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Currently watching!:):D

14. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I appreciate it. Thanks.

1947knuck likes this.
  15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Looking at new heads right now. I was going to try to get something vintage but I think I'm just going to go with new ones. I just don't know what I like best. I'm leaning toward Sharp. They are suppose to hold the most coolant. Here are my choices. What do you think? Sharp-59A-Heads.png
    Navarro-59a-heads-1.png Edelbrock-High-Lift-Script-74cc.png Offenhauser-59A-Heads.png

1947knuck likes this.
  16. Koz

Koz

I'm watching as well! I was in your neck of the woods last weekend when I picked up that '31 Vicky body from adam401 on here. He's just outside of Manchester. It was great weather for a ride up there. I've had the body blasted since and it turned out really nice.

I will add, Sharps are my favorites with Navarros close behind. In my opinion though, Edelbrock still has the best QC of all of them.

17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yep Sharp closely followed by Navarro

18. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I wish I knew I would have liked to have seen that one and I would have bought you dinner. Post a picture of it on here so I can see it. I think I'm going to get the Sharp heads. They hold more coolant and I like the look of them. They make you motor look bigger than it is too. lol.

1947knuck likes this.
  19. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I agree. Thanks for the input.

1947knuck likes this.
  20. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

The Sharp heads are the winner. I just ordered a set. Now off to Speedway to order the studs and gaskets. Oh boy!:D

21. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I'm following along too, Steve. I am really curious what you will end up doing on your 1st engine. I know it is on "the back burner" as it is most important to get your car fixed first, I get it... I've enjoyed your thread, thanks for posting.

22. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It is on the back burner for now. I took the oil pan off it the other day to remove the flywheel. It looks real good in there. I'm hoping too have a machine shop fix it. I'm not sure what to do with it after that. It has some nice parts in it also. It ran really good before all this so I may put it back in if I fix it. It depends on how nice my new motor is. I almost sold it cheap a couple times but I don't know now these Flatheads ain't cheap to build. It might look good in my living room as a decoration. lol.

1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I just made the order with Speedway for my gaskets and head studs plus some other stuff. Should be here by the 29th. I'm still hoping we have a warm day soon so I can paint my transmission. I'm trying hard to give you all some content. It will all start coming together real soon. I really want to get this done so I can get back on my other two projects. Here's a couple pictures of them. 1964 Chevy C10 on a 2003 Silverado chassis and a 1966 Pontiac Catalina on air ride. I don't know if I can make a thread about those projects because of the chassis under the C10 and the year of the Pontiac. This might not be the right place for it. I don't know. View attachment 4552055 View attachment 4552056 View attachment 4552057 View attachment 4552062

1947knuck, patmanta, bobss396 and 2 others like this.
  24. I like the Pontiac, can never drop one of those too low. At least you are making progress, which is a plus in winter.

25. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks. It doesn't lay frame but close.:cool:

1947knuck likes this.
  26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

All your cars look good to me! I like Pontiacs and Pickups! Gary:):)

27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks Gary. I tried to sell the Pontiac for a year and gave up. I started at 7k and kept going lower till I hit 5k. At that point I decide to finish it and drive it. Maybe at some point I'll put it back on the market.

1947knuck likes this.
  28. those Sharp heads look nice. I believe they are square profile, so now you get to order 24 NEW head bolts or studs per side.o_O

29. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yup. Already done. Got some copper gaskets too. I went with the studs over bolts and some chrome acorn covers.I also made sure to get longer studs for my offset generator bracket.:D

1947knuck likes this.
  30. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

So I don't want anybody to worry. I have to pull the studs out of my new engine to put in longer ones for the Sharp heads. The old ones were put in recently so they should come out fairly easy. I will be being careful though.lol

1947knuck likes this.