Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Super Stock style leaf springs with a Berlin Eye

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotzy, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Gotzy

Gotzy

howdy folks,,

I’m building a 1956 Fairlane and wanted to make my own Super Stock style leaf springs. The stock leaf springs have a Berlin Eye at the front so can’t add an extra leaf to run up to the centre line of the front bolt as there will be a 1/2” gap between the main and first additional leaf, or can I?

I’m in the UK so just getting a new main leaf or buying custom ones isn’t that simple, any ideas?

I’m building a sleeper so don’t want visible traction bars.

2. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Hate to say this but look at cal- tracks or Chrysler years ago did a rod on top of axle and above the spring . Work like a 4 link with the spring being the lower link

3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

A full length leaf can be added, see sketch of half Berlin eye.

C1 Corvettes also had a link above the front half of the leaf spring, which IMO is preferable, also would not increase ride harshness.

20200120_012532.jpg 20200120_012451.jpg

Gotzy likes this.
  4. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

5. I have to admit, I've never heard of a Berlin eye.

lothianwilly71, 56don and Mark Yac like this.
  6. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

A second leaf like what Desmodromic posted should work just fine as the front half of the leaves should be clamped. They will work best though with an adjustable pinion snubber.
    51998E67-7B95-420B-B776-CC07BF16E1EF.jpeg

7. Gotzy

Gotzy

Thanks man, hadn't thought of a Berlin helper, I'll measure what I've got to see if could make that

Does the Vette style bar need a slider at all or are they all fixed?

8. NO! Seeing it's roughly the same length as the front half of the spring, there should be no binding.
    A slider would be a good way to commit suicide. LOL

BTW, the Corvette radius rods were put there for hard braking. They didn't do much to stop wheel hop. Only way something like them might work, is with a super stiff lower spring, as in the aforementioned Chrysler leaf/ link system.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Gotzy likes this.