Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which engine to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert graves, Jan 18, 2020.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Not me.....

2. Isn't that what Hot Rodding is all about? ;-)

3. I'd just do eenie meenie miny moe

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

5.0 distributor shaft is larger diameter so the gear won’t work on the earlier 289/302 distributors. You have to go aftermarket for a proper sized gear in the proper material to suit the cam, steel or cast iron.

5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-20_4-3-0.png 2017
    Hello,

For as long as I can remember, there were two trucks that were at the opposite ends of the spectrum when we were young. One was a 55-56 Ford F100 custom truck that had almost everything possible for being s 1950’s custom. Tahitian red paint, finished bed, chopped top, chrome reversed wheels, white tuck and roll upholstery and side pipes. It was a true classic for the times and our neighborhood. We would see it every day and I finally got a ride in it after school one day. Yippee!

The other F 100 truck is the one pictured from 2017. It is a refinished version of the original “Painter’s Truck” that we saw pull up into the pits at Lions with the back bed full of painting equipment in 1959-60. They off loaded everything and went racing. Sometimes, they did not wait to unload the stuff and went racing fully loaded in the back, including the overhead racks. Most of the time, it was unloaded and the rack was taken off for the whole day at Lions Dragstrip.
    upload_2020-1-20_4-3-42.png Drag News 1959
    This was the epitome of a daily driver, weekend drag racer. Drive to work, then drive to the race track, make a few runs with everything in the back and then prep for the eliminations. As well as stopping at the paint supply store for more paint and accessories!
    upload_2020-1-20_4-4-37.png upload_2020-1-20_4-50-44.png
    When I was out in the loading area of the Price Transfer Automobilia compound in Long Beach in June 2017, I heard a familiar sound. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this bright yellow, Ford F100 pickup idling up to a new parking spot. The sound was pretty amazing for a Ford Truck. Then I realized whose truck this was idling into the private parking area. Charlie “The Painter” Ettein. A blast from the past…1959-60 street, gas class race truck.
    upload_2020-1-20_4-5-37.png
    A blown Chrysler engine with an automatic transmission used over 100,000 miles of daily driving, what an amazing feat. A 5000+ lbs. truck slated for C/Gas... (Our 671, SBC, 40 Willys rivalry/competition in the making... including the idea of extra weight in the rear to make the class rules.)
    upload_2020-1-20_4-7-2.png

Jnaki

Whatever motor you choose, my vote would be the Hemi. As a teen, there was nothing sounding as good as a supercharged Hemi or in our case, a 671 supercharged SBC in our Willys C/Gas coupe. The Hemi does not have to be supercharged, but at least it can be done and the sound will turn heads on your road trips or cruises.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    pitman and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  6. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

If it is supposed to be an old type build, then the 289 doesn't belong. It all depends on what you like. Never ask for opinions, and you already know the reason why.

7. Volvo from the 69-75 140,240 series engines are short,and fit the Ford.Check a Bosch 72137ws filter.They are 3.70 inches tall.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    ffr1222k likes this.
  8. It's PH3614.

ffr1222k and Beanscoot like this.
  9. I know you said you have these engines, but an SBC would fit right in there and be less $ than trying to make any of your choices fit. My second choice would be the 289.
    My humble opinion... :rolleyes:;)

saltracer219, Elcohaulic and jaw22w like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy sent me a text the other day on this same subject as he is deciding what engine for a C2 Vette he is building. He is toggling between a period correct but hot BBC and a LS :eek: crate motor he purchased. I told him I was not a fan of the LS, yes it is more powerful, smooth as silk, tons of aftermarket support, practically maintenance free, brings a bigger audience on the block and in the long run maybe cheaper depending on the BBC build and accessories (427/435 HP). Funny, a lot of the same reasons provided above in support of the SBF and SBC for your truck. :cool:

Hot rods and muscle cars share the same DNA (Displacement N Attitude). For the muscle car set it is about FE, LS6, LT-1, 426, 429, 327FI, etc. In our world it is all about Hemi's, Caddys, Nail Heads, Rockets, Y blocks and the time honorable Flathead. Stance and tires don't make a hot rod alone, or an electric motor would suffice under the hood. No, a hot rod needs a heart and it may be difficult to fit, on the heavy side, expensive to build and hard to maintain but screw it, skimp on the paint but not on the engine! ;)

I dumped a lot of dough on the Hemi going in my 41 shoptruck and I would never want to add up the receipts on the blown flathead in my 34. So like the advice I gave my buddy the other night on the vette, if it is going to BJ put the LS in it and some god awful rims (sic), but if you are going to keep it build the coolest motor available that you can afford. Put a Hemi in it! No compromises. No regrets. :cool:

Moriarity and ekimneirbo like this.
  11. I'd use the 354, if I had one, which you do.

12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Probably for sensibility, the 289. For Wow! Factor, Early Hemi! ($$$$). All things considered, Your Car, Your Decision. Either Way, Good Luck/Have Fun.

13. 8flat

8flat

I love flatheads but I would choose the hemi for a daily driver.

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Amen Brother Bill.............;)

One of the things I think happens often is that the old mentality of hot rodders was to use what you have and make it work. Today though the idea of using only what you have available is not driven as much by "being poor" as it was in decades past. I think one of the biggest reasons people don't finish projects is because they aren't happy with the outcome and don't have the heart to re-do it. Better to move on to another project and rekindle the enthusiasm.
    Most all of us feel a little of the thrill of our youth when we drive something we made and it has the feel of power under the hood. Why settle for less?

pitman, ffr1222k and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Why not install both Hemis and have a dual rear engined monster?

16. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

The 354 Hemi with a od automatic transmission use an adapter plate to put the starter on the passenger side. May take a little longer but worth the wait. Single carb or fuel injection will make it reliable.

ffr1222k and Algoma56 like this.
  17. robert graves

robert graves

I like that idea

18. robert graves

robert graves

That's a show factor for sure

19. robert graves

robert graves

So true

ekimneirbo likes this.
  20. robert graves

robert graves

I love them too , drove a lot of them in my youth ,learned how to drive in a 51 pickup

21. robert graves

robert graves

Cool thanks

22. robert graves

robert graves

T

23. I doono a blown Flatty would suit me.........but thas just me

winduptoy and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. robert graves

robert graves

That's an awesome story ,gives me much to think about

jnaki likes this.
  25. robert graves

robert graves

I like that idea a lot

26. robert graves

robert graves

So true

27. robert graves

robert graves

Baaahaaaaa

28. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

So like the advice I gave my buddy the other night on the vette, if it is going to BJ put the LS in it and some god awful rims (sic), but if you are going to keep it build the coolest motor available that you can afford. Put a Hemi in it! No compromises. Noregrets. :cool:

Damned profound @Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy likes this.
  29. robert graves

robert graves

They are beautiful, beautiful ,setups for sure

30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez, not many votes for FLATHEADS here (This is the HAMB isn't it?);)

This '46 was my daily driver for 3 years back in the '80s. Mostly a stock truck, 59ab, polished stock Canadian aluminum heads, A couple 94s on a Sharpe intake and converted to 12v. Easily cruised at 55 and was unbelievably dependable...never any major issues:D
    46frxxx.jpg
    46sd.jpg

warbird1 likes this.