Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barrett Jackson Prices Seem Low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzface

fuzzface

they just mentioned this was their highest selling year since they have been in business at over 137 million and it still have a few more to go before it is over.

2. Yes- She might be someone i'de like to look at..... But, that's just admire..... Could be on TV, in the store, or walking down the street.......... Just because I like her looks, does'nt mean I'm droppin' a house payment because I think she's attractive..........
    Free alky at BJ auctions............. Hmmmmm.......
    When we get out of the realm of reality, at least ours here, it's fantasy land.........
    The prices as of yesterday........ well- would you rather have a home, or damn near close to having one paid off, OR- be a look at me kinda guy, that real car guy's think that your a P.O.S ?

jim snow and Nicholas Coe like this.
  3. 26562875-30DF-47A4-B2DB-6A122CA103CE.jpeg Heading to the east coast.....cheap

4. uncle buck

uncle buck

What’s cheap? Being a Ridler winner it was undoubtedly a 7 figure build

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. I heard 2.3 million to build.
    Brought 300k +or- at auction

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. ^^^^^^^^
    about 250k too high still.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Spending $2.3 million to win the Ridler award trophy, $10,000 in cash and a Detroit Autorama jacket and then turn around a year later and sell that same Cadillac for $300,000 plus, does not make very good business sense to me. That's $2 million right out the window. I am just not comprehending any of the decision making here.

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe the money "laundering" is paying for the build so a sale after that doesn't mean squat, if there is any "L" in fact..

tractorguy likes this.

10. There is NO better advertising for the ability of a business than winning the most prestigious award for that segment of the industry.

All of the money they spent will be used as a tax deduction. Lots of money & a gamble ..Yes, but now that honor will always be associated with that shop for as long as they are in business.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

nochop and jim snow like this.
  11. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

I've been through it also,the point of my comment was the auction prices do have a effect and are used for reasons that may not be apparent to all,not that someone tried to cheat the state,it was intended to be informative,I DON't WHINE,I also prevaled because I am honest.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. jim snow

jim snow

Truth. Snowman

13. You’re not supposed to understand
    Only the owner and the builders do.
    Every major trophy car builder and owner knows this is not a profit deal.
    Shortly after winning a Ridler, I asked the wife of the car owner how she felt. I asked her about winning 10k for a 7 figure car. Her response was my husband’s car hobby is cheaper than my horse hobby. In other words it just money.
    One car owner said all his other friends play golf at the country club but no one never asks them about spending on a golf hobby like they do his car hobby.
    Value is a relative term. One mans 2 million dollar loss is no different than another mans 2 dollar loss in some cases.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I read thru the results, I saw way too many "title in transit". I've been to a few of the auctions and never bid but if I was planning on it I would start at the check in desk that can tell you the title and paper work are clean and with the the car. If not no matter how much I'd like to have it...California is not a state you want a title problem in.

b-body-bob and jim snow like this.
  15. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I wish Chris would quit wearing that dorky hat

arkiehotrods likes this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"All of the money they spent will be used as a tax deduction."

Does that mean we can deduct all the money we spend on our cars right from our yearly income tax. I guess I need another tax man. I musta been overpaying for years!

tractorguy likes this.

17. If you own a business in this line of work & build one like they did for the purpose of showing their abilities & to gain future business... Then YES!

If you punch a clock & then come home to spend money on a car build as your hobby... Then NO!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

95% of all those builds are private party, these aren’t shop builds , some shops give a discounted labor rate to go for a big show , I suspect they maybe able to write off something like that but the major losses usally are the owner of the car

anthony myrick and Hnstray like this.
  19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That’s what I think, rolling billboards

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  20. uncle buck

uncle buck

I did find this :

DETROIT, MI—Steve Barton of Las Vegas, NV provided the initial vision for this year’s Ridler Award winner, a custom 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham called “Cadmad.”

Unfortunately, Barton wasn’t able to see his brainchild, which was built by Super Rides by Jordan of Escondido, CA, take home one of the most coveted awards in hot rodding. Barton recently passed away, but the Brougham will help cement his hot rodding legacy as he joins the list of Rider winners.

One of just 99 Broughams made in 1959, the Cadillac was already rare. The Super Rides by Jordan team went about making this particular Eldorado Brougham a true one-of-a-kind by converting it into a two-door wagon. The body was narrowed, rear doors were removed, and the front doors were stretched—and those were just a few of the modifications that helped make Barton’s vision a reality.

Under the hood, a turbocharged, 632 cubic-inch Corvette V8 pumps out over 1,000 horsepower. The “Cadmad” rolls on 18-inch wheels and is covered in a distinctive flesh-colored paint—a Pink Cadillac of sorts!

LAROKE and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  21. I want to repaint the roof another color, the grey just doesn't look right to me.

teach'm likes this.
  22. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

You get an income deduction, not a tax deduction. You can't directly write it off the taxes you owe. It might directly effect your overall income. This "tax deduction" thing has been misnamed and spread for years by those who think you might even believe it.

If it were a "tax deduction", I might have never paid any taxes for a couple of years while outfitting my roadster for Bonneville.

Hnstray and nochop like this.
  23. The paint colors are reminescent of one of the '55 Chevrolet Nomad factory color schemes.

Phil

jim snow likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for info

- looks like you are right - good to me, as if anyone cares - know a guy that, with the help of others, had over $300K into a custom that did not even get screen time when it went on stage and sold for less than half - it was at BJ Las Vegas - always a gamble

25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Tax/income deduction is still a loss. I much prefer to make profits....

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Don't know about now , but when printed Mags where king and advertiser's invested in print ads. A supplier such as PPG might supply all the paint products used including formulating a one off custom color, and might even cover the cost of applying their products. In turn they would have the rights to use the image of that car in their adds. Any and all components of a build involving parts or labor could be done this way. Its called corperate sponsorship much like NASCAR, NHRA and the Super bowl. Those cost are then written off as advertisement and believe it or not sometimes those cost are exagerated ;). I am sure the owner had a sizeable personal investment, but not as much as you think. Larry

27. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

For the Caddy owner the prize/bragging rights were what he was looking for the car was secondary and just the tool to get the prize. $2m + for gratification.....must be nice to have that kind of disposable income:confused:

anthony myrick likes this.

28. Ok Stan, I guess I should have been clearer. What I was speaking of is a Business Expense, not a personal tax or personal income deduction. Right or wrong, it is common speak to call it a tax deduction because you deduct it while doing your taxes! LOL

29. So what? He must have earned it somehow. Why bag on the guy because he's good at making money? Ain't really anybodys business what he chooses to spend it on.

stanlow69, 47ragtop, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  30. tractorguy

tractorguy

More and more......the older and more cynical I get......I keep wondering about the money laundering aspect of these auctions....and collector car sales in general. Have fun

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.