Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trapped in Town!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Nicholas, Jan 18, 2020.

1. If ya plan to lose the mirrors let me know.
    Also, the wheel opening in the fenders are supposed to be larger an the C30s
    (Think so anyway)
    Just a FYI if that matters.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Does it have the SM420 4 speed? Those are nice gear boxes. I had a '65 C30 with a 5.38 rear... it had a nice 283 with headers. Check other truck forums about going with a C10 chassis. I would not put 4 wheel discs on it, rear drums are fine. Later rears go in even if you have to weld new perches on it, which I have done before.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. I’m also looking for a v8 bellhousing with a hydraulic slave cyl on the right side. 60-63 gm trucks had those correct?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. RR

RR

I just finished a 1966 C30 that I shortened and put a LWB fleetside bed on. Like others have said, the rear is easy- swap in a 14 bolt from a later 1 ton and pull some leaves out of the spring stack. Should ride better and go faster than 45 MPH. If you do that and want 4 wheel disks, Ruffstuff (a 4wd and offroad company) makes brackets to bolt on the calipers and disks- all relatively cheap. As for the front, I am not sure if a 73-87 front crossmember will bolt in to that frame, but I would look into it. Try asking over at
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6
    they should be able to answer your questions on what fits and what doesn't. I swapped out the spindles and brakes up front on my 66 with a 84 3/4 ton then used CPP lowering springs and shocks. The truck rides really nice for what it is. I also used a mid 70's Corvette master cylinder for the brakes. It stops pretty good. Good luck. Lots of work ahead!

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I had a 61 C30 for a few years. Torsion bar front rode pretty stinking nice as built. The rear could be swapped for a later C30 as mentioned and an OD trans added, and you would have a highway cruiser. Alter the spring stacks for ride and done!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I will whisper so nobody hears......air bags! There I said it, not to have it drag on the ground but replace the HD suspension for an ajustable HD suspension.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Perhaps this thread should be deleted like the post I made in it offering some different options for aftermarket custom frames or even ideas on modifying a stock C10 1/2 ton chassis.

8. You could just edit your stuff.

9. 327Eric

327Eric

I get it. You want to restore a 1/2 ton truck using your classic sheetmetal. I am not sure if a I ton cab and chassis is different than a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. If so, up to 87 is basically the same chassis. You have to move some cab mounts. There are kits for it. If the same frame, you may be able to bolt a square fender front suspension on. The year is important for the rear suspension, whether you want coil or leaf spring rear suspension. There are kits available to Help do this, as well as cut a longbed to a shortbed. I dont get why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch. A 1 ton flatbed is not a hotrod, and this is a same to same swap. What are we preserving and restoring originals now?

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. 327Eric

327Eric

Myself, I am looking for a shortbed frame for my 65 C10, but will cut it if i have to. Just gotta find a stepside bed first.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nothing to edit if it was deleted. Even then, there was no reason for editing.

I suspect that someone took offence to the 2 aftermarket chassis pictures I posted from the roadster shop and Art Morrison became they were both equipped (shudder :eek::D) with modern suspensions.

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

no reason to shudder , clearly you know the guidelines

13. Ok. Misunderstood the comment o_O

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The C30 I had was the same cab/clip as the C10.

Pretty easy swap up to 87 chassis as mentioned. 67-72 chevy forum has more info than you can shake a stick at.

swade41, harpo1313 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. I am building a 64 c10 and was going to swap the frame to get 5 lug disc ect. On the c10 thread here on the hamb a member told me that a late model front cross member and steering assembly was a direct bolt in with the exception of drilling two holes. I have purchased a later model chassis and have done the measurements and it will fit. The track width is the same on both and all bolts are the same. I wonder if a later model 1 ton- c30 front assembly would bolt into your existing frame. The rear axle could be swapped also to upgrade the rear brakes. I also purchased a later model V8 and trans that will bolt up to the existing motor mounts with no modifications. This keeps the stock frame in your truck and could be done without a lot of fabrication. Jim

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I sure an happy to see some guys step up with useful information. I was beginning to think I was on some sort of "sell it, and buy what you should have bought" board, or a restoration board rather then a hot rod board. The guy even wants to stay within the HAMB boundaries and many of early posters are ignoring his opinion.

Not all chassis swaps are a mess, and there are a lot of them running around on the street in finished condition.

As stated earlier, A hot rod is an older vehicle that has been modified for improved handling, braking, and performance. It doesn't have to be a per 48 Ford or any other per war car. Gene

17. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=366828
    Here is the skinny on the swap.
    The 73 up frame is made slightly different. The cab will sit higher.
    This is why most just swap the front.
    These steps will work for c10-30
    Your chassis is thicker/heavier than a c10
    A similar year c10 then the xmember swap could be done if that’s an issue.
    The after market support for c10-30 is massive. You can spend as much as you want.
    My 62 had the same set up as yours but the cost of rebuilding the torsion bar front helped me make the decision on the 73 up stuff. The disc brakes was a bonus.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Of course I do, I just have to wonder if anyone else who has posted on this thread does.

I suggested a chassis made for his truck, a new one mind you and also offered ideas for going with a stock chassis.

Since then all the talk of frame swaps and bolting on more modern suspensions from newer models must somehow be okay :rolleyes::D

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I did the first front suspension upgrade on my 66 Suburban I used the five lug disc brakes, spindles and power steering box from a 73 half ton and just drilled the requisite holes and bolted the box to the frame with spacers.
    The later (bigger) tie rod ends, idler arm and center link also must be used.
    In short order I found it had a somewhat limited turning radius in one direction so studied how the factory formed the framerail adjacent to the box on the later trucks and replicated it by slicing the 66 frame slightly and forming a similar depression and welding it back up, this made for equal steering radius side to side.
    For matching the rear I ordered stock dimension axles (66) from Moser Engineering with five on five bolt pattern and bought new replacement five hole drums (73/up) and simply bolted it together, couldn't be easier.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and harley jim like this.
  20. DDDenny
    Someone on the C10 thread said that also, my 64 frame has power steering already so I'm hoping to dodge that problem. My donor parts are 72. When the mud dries up a bit where I can get the tractor in the back yard I'm going to move it to the shop and get started. I'll get lots of pics up and start a thread. Dont want to hijack this one from Michael. Thanks guys.

21. The c10, c20 & c30 are all the same front fenders & hoods. The long run it would be easier to swap newer axles onto original frame.
    Find a donor truck 1 ton '73-'87. You will need the steering linkage & steering box too. 2 new holes to be drilled for newer IFS to mount in place of the torsion IFS setup.
    Try to get th e brale booster & brake lines off donor truck as well. Drop in a V8/automatic or stick with overdrive, got a cruiser.
    Dave

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Keep the chassis and update the suspension/brakes. Then,a torque based SBC/BBC with a TH-400 connected to a Gear Vendors overdrive it. Hot rod truck that can easily cruise the freeways. Stake bed on the back with maybe a hydraulic tilt/dump; now it's a work truck also. Me, I'd make a car hauler with it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. You could find a C10 short bed frame make all the modifications to it then flip your cab onto the new chassis. Then your down time is minimal.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Anything is possible but sounds like if you just worked on the gearing and the ride it would be better.
    This one is a little extreme but the bed gives food for thought...anyone can build a half ton.
    upload_2020-1-22_10-26-10.jpeg
    A older guy I know who has built a bunch of nice vehicles in his life time told me once about a favorite old 47 chevy car that he had as a kid and still owns......He had dreams for a time of making it more modern with lots of upgrades in suspension etc. etc. and he finally accomplished it, and it was/is a nice car but he said it just wasnt the same old car he loved as a kid. It was something different with the shell of what it use to be on it.
    Just be careful of where you cross the line if you really like your old truck.
    I like it!;)

chryslerfan55 and Nostrebor like this.
  26. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

/\ Sage advice up there /\

27. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

Leave it cool nobody else has one.