Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why aren't hot rods selling?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49' bomb!, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Absolutely
    Hot rods aren’t required to be aesthetically pleasing

Thor1 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  2. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Too many guys have to ask the "WIFE"
    before buying anything

nunattax, MO_JUNK, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean that they are in a healthy, equitable relationship?

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgiveness...... you ask for forgiveness because you can’t take it back.

OLSKOOL57 and 49' bomb! like this.
  5. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

I believe a husband and wife should discuss their financial situation together,
    Before a major purchases made. BUT! It's been my experience over the years, anytime a wife gets involved, it's usually the end of the deal..

6. j3harleys

j3harleys

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission:D

jimmy six, OLSKOOL57 and 49' bomb! like this.
  7. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

well people will see ..you are asking to much....if the add said make me an offer that leaves the price open...

49' bomb! likes this.
  8. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Worth 30k all day. Hopefully when I'm in the market for one I'll be able to find one for that price.

anthony myrick likes this.
  9. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I hear ya. Me and my Wife keep our finances separate so when I saw my Hot Rod for sale I told her to give me a ride and follow me home and bought it. I've bought 6 or more cars in the 17 years we've been together. If I had to ask permission every time I would be single for sure. She's a great Wife. A real keeper. Unlike most of the cars I've bought and sold. I always get bored with cars after a couple years. Luckily it's not the same with woman.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. no55mad

no55mad

There was a member here that had a glass 34 Ford 3w cpe, 392 Hemi, 700r4, flat black, quality build. Tried and tried to sell it on his own, no luck. Finally a dealer low balled him and he took it. The dealer then turned around and sold it quick for a nice profit. So it seems, some buyers prefer to not buy from private individuals. Recently looked at a magazine called 'Autabuy', classic cars listed nationwide. Mostly classic car dealers there and prices in that rag make the HAMB listed vehicle prices seem reasonable. To the point of other posts here; the HAMB is more of a builders forum, not a showroom for buyers that like jalopies but don't wrench (unless you lowball the price for a flipper).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    49' bomb! likes this.
  11. I finally sold my 1950 Coupe, here is how it's done.

It's real easy, post it in the classifieds, bump it once a month, wait about a year, reduce the price several times until your losing money and then one day some body out of the blue and not affiliated with the Hamb buys it, simple. :rolleyes: HRP

weps, wfo guy, 49' bomb! and 4 others like this.
  12. Hombre

Hombre

Congratulations Danny, Glad it found another home and you were successful in selling it, and sorry you didn't get your price. Lord only knows it was worth every penny.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Anybody watch Barrett Jackson this past week ? a lot of the Hot rods went for cheap not even close to what it would cost build one, 1976 240 Z Datsun went $47,000 nice car , I saw a real clean Henry Ford steel, High boy nicer then the Datsun go for $39,000 ?

14. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

I was in Scottsdale for the auctions. I saw a fantastic 53 Chevy 2dr (not Bel Air), perfect paint and interior, hi end resto, gavel out at $16k. Same for a 54 Mercury at $15k. Nicely stock restored 29 roadster at $13.5k.

Saw 5 or 6 69 z/28s sell in the low $60k. These were very nice cars, not rust buckets with quickie paint.

2x 69 Boss 302s, low $50k. 2 years ago those were easy $75k all day long.

64 Plymouth max wedge, light weight, $60k

I could keep going, but you get the picture. At BJ, they sell no reserve only. At Russo and Steele, they will allow reserves. 4/5 cars at R&S did not make the reserve. I watched it all for 3 days.

if you are looking to buy, the times are getting better. If your car is your 401k...well, you can figure it out.

What was hot: VW micro bus; Early Ford Bronco; 67-72 Chevy C-10 4wd; early K5 Blazer.

wfo guy and Baron like this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

"What was hot" sums it up. Some (including perhaps buyers at big auctions) go for "what is hot" at the time. If is it "hot," then prices go up to stupid levels. When it is no longer the flavor of the month, prices go down to more reasonable ranges. Around here, "Square bodies" ('73-'87 Chev and GMC pickups) are going for stupid money, even very rough ones. But that will pass, and something else will be the hot ticket.

47ragtop and 49' bomb! like this.
  16. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

....square body Chevy truck were also in demand...just not as hot as the earlier metal.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those truck buyers will take it in the shorts sooner than the Z28 guys....

arkiehotrods likes this.
  18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I sold my Riviera project the other day, to help pay for the '52 DeSoto wagon we bought, and also sold my off-topic mid 70's GMC dually. I think cars sell just fine. 81503883_10221969388686450_9152272091674836992_n.jpg

arkiehotrods likes this.
  19. All about "what you'll take", and get...... Now, if you had someone build your car, surprisingly (gasp), everyone want's every penny they paid out for it...... Go figure......... I thought WE built our own stuff here, at least for the most part, and I'm not talking farming some things out. Yep- I'de like to recoup some coin if I sold, but in the long run, Shit is bat assed crazy....... Always two camps on this one........
    You either accept what you've gotten into, OR, shoot for the moon......
    If I had disposable money, I still wouldn't like to have one of those high dollar cars..........
    I'm more of a DIY guy, with way's,and means, and I damn near won't consider saving 30k on a 100k build.......
    Some of us are just that way............
    My home/bills/lifestyle do not dictate getting caught up in the frenzy.
    Everyone's got their niche. So be it, and I'm cool with it, but a 100k+ for something that's "status quo", give me a F'n break! The auction's killed everything........Everyone thinks their pacer is worth coin..........
    You cant go home anymore Toto.............

1959Nomad, weps, Baron and 2 others like this.
  20. Greta Thunburg ??

21. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

It seems to me, what motivates people to buy, is currently what they see on TV. Case in point! The latest craze is the Chevy c model pickups. And the early Ford broncos. They see these on TV and they want to have one just like that!
    I guess it's a case of monkey see monkey do? Myself, I like to be a leader not a follower...

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's all about the "timeline". Whatever you had the hots for back when you were a Junior or Senior in high school, the car you dreamed about owning, but couldn't afford, those are the cars selling today. And the 20 to 40 age bracket have no interest in these "old cars". At Burlington VT at Nat's Northeast, looking out over all these cars, I thought, "who's going to want to buy one of these 20 years from now ?" Short answer, no one. :( 20180915_130836.jpg 20180915_130838.jpg

49' bomb! likes this.
  23. HRP and I attended the same school. :) So did most of the people I know. We buy better than we sell. :)

warbird1 and Baron like this.
  24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My motto is "Buy high, sell low" ...lol

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Demographics are interesting to look at because they show you trends in everything from business, where people are moving to and many other things including old classic cars, street rods and even car magazines and right now you do not have to have a college degree or be a rocket scientist to see the trend in selling certain year cars selling for less money or car magazines going out of business.

I wish this was not happening but there is no way to simply make believe this is not happening.
    I really do not know what it is going to take to reverse this trend in old cars and everything related to old cars but my guess is there are many people selling products for old cars that are also watching this same trend.

Just my opinion but I think we need more old guys involved in buying and selling old cars.

Jimbo

Gasser 57, Baron and 49' bomb! like this.
  26. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yeah I tried that method. It didn't work for me. I started with a number were I was loosing money and lowered it to the point where I was giving it away. At a certain point I just decide to keep it.:confused:

Baron and 49' bomb! like this.
  27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Your right the c model pickups are real popular. I even have one. Although I haven't had a TV in about 15+years. I also took mine in a different direction so it's not slammed on bags. I put mine on a 2003 4x4 Silverado chassis. Making it my daily driver. I haven't seen to many people doing that. One of the advantages of the popularity is when I need a part you can get anything for these things unlike my flathead or my 66 Catalina.

49' bomb! likes this.
  28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have 2 for sale and sometimes I think that if I offered to give them away someone would want me to pay them to take them?

j3harleys and 49' bomb! like this.
  29. redo32

redo32

You wouldn't have to pay me much to take the delivery off your hands.

continentaljohn likes this.
  30. j3harleys

j3harleys

Buy high sell Low. One more good deal and I'm outa business.

49' bomb! and Hombre like this.