Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do dislike about our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyding, Jan 12, 2020.

1. I really hate people who lean on other peoples cars at car shows.

And people who doesn't understand that removing burgergrease stains from matt paint is close to impossible!

Rune from Norway

2. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

What you said!!!!

3. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Been there, done that!

4. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Did you kill two birds with one stone and use the open bottle of contact cement to glue your broken tooth back in?
    :D

Budget36, big duece and ct1932ford like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having had some serious discussions on the subject with the WSP inspectors in Union Gap those rules are almost all reactionary to sloppy and suspect work.
    Tube frames and subframe jobs welded up with 110 HF welders by guys who never welded before attempting to build a frame. The reason a custom frame has to be welded by a certified welder or pass inspection by a certified welder in this state.
    Too many back street rebuilds by shops with suspect methods Buy two identical vehcles, one hit in the front, one hit in the back and cut them in half and wire feed them back together with no extra support or bracing and then some poor fool who bought them off a gypo lot has the car break in half in a wreck. A lot of those never got inspected because the car the front half came off had a clear title.
    When I asked the local guy about the welding on the frame he said that a frame from a legit frame shop with a statement of origin (probably the detailed receipt from the rod shop works. he said there wasn't an issue.

6. An apples to oranges comparison. I am a certified welder. I don't do collision work. I don't do sloppy or suspect work. My gripe was/is in being told 'WHAT' I can build/modify, not 'HOW' I can build/modify. Oh, and by the way, I've seen a few rod shop frames I wouldn't trust to frame a picture.

warbird1 likes this.
  7. No, took a trip to the dentist!:(

8. 327Eric

327Eric

Being pigeon holed because I like a certain make or style I like many makes and styles. Scenesters , and the guys who started out in VWs and mini trucks telling me it isnt 'RIGHT'. I ve been into this my whole life thank you. The Gasser Argument. I saw my first straight axle car in the first months of my life, in 1971. It was a called gasser then, and now .I have had my avatar since 1983. It is Gasser, built with take offs from a Pro street conversion.

Driver50x and Barn Hunter like this.
  9. *That about sums it up...

10. msgt tank

msgt tank

the huge amount of time it takes to do the smallest task and then redoing it four times and still not liking it. then later thinking how you can redo it better.

weps, 1959Nomad, vtx1800 and 3 others like this.
  11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Laying there planning out exactly how I'm going to do something tommorrow......going over it numerous times and refining it until I finally drift off to sleep. Then as I enter my garage I spy something I want to do while I'm thinking about it. It will only take a few minutes. As I start moving about the shop, I see another thing I meant to do that will only take a little while. Soon I see something else thats just a momentary problem.......and on and on and on.
    At the end of the day I haven't even touched the original item I dreamed about all night.....and now it going to be on my mind for several days before I have time again. ;)

Driver50x, weps, 1959Nomad and 2 others like this.
  12. Well he is of course, but I have to admit that everything he said about us as a whole I either am or have been called at one time or another. Add to that Rude, crude and socially unacceptable and you have defined many of us. Believe it or not those are the people that I do like. More often than not they are not peckerwoods. :D :D :D

Driver50x and ekimneirbo like this.
  13. oldsquid

oldsquid

Retail parts prices.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I hung out with a group of non-conformists and was still an outcast.......... Misfit.jpg :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I like the old saying "Judge a man by his enemies"

15. LOL In the '70s I was sitting by a fire with a bunch of dirty no goods. I don't recall how it came up but I mentioned that we were misfits. A gentleman of note said, "hell Benno even among misfits you are a misfit." That was a compliment of course. ;)

16. Instead of talking about what I hate, how about what I love......being 1500 miles from home in a 36 Ford Flathead PU that I built myself, cruizin anywhere in said vehicle, towing the Flathead FED down to the racetrack in the morning watching the sun come up, sitting in the FED waiting for Earl to raise the start flag, stompin on the go pedal when he raises the flag, sitting with Jack have a few cold brews after the racin is over...........oh did I mention being 1500 miles away from home in a car I built myself......................

17. LOL we got a thread about what you like. If you go to my first post you will see that what I don't like are the people and if you go to my first post in the what you like thread you will see that what I do like are the people. Its a glass half full or half empty deal, either way full or empty its still half a glass. ;)

18. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 15 minutes I just wasted reading this thread.... ;):rolleyes:

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  19. You're welcome. :rolleyes: ;) :D

20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Slaphim a second time for me!

21. yea P&B as long as the glass is half full of a favorite beverage.............. 20200115_140619.jpg

22. What I dislike is the seemly never ending purveyor's of gloom & doom, lets face it everything in life changes but as many years as I have been involved with old cars & hot rods there has always been those that say the hobby is dying and recently it seem to be a hot topic.

All I know is as long as I am able I will be driving & building hot rods and will continue to encourage the younger generation to get involved. HRP

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D:D:D:)

24. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Car dealers that call themselves rodders....

25. AGELE55

AGELE55

Purists, who actually think they built a car.
    Nice car! You build this yourself?
    -Yes. From ground up!
    Cool, how'd you do ____?
    - Uh..I had that done.
    Oh. What kind of _____ did you use?
    - I'm not sure. I had that done.
    Hmmm.. You do the ____ yourself?
    -No, I had a buddy do that for me.
    Where did you find a____ for it?
    -Not sure.
    Well...nice talking to you...enjoy your mimosa.
    In a nutshell, I appreciate a sketchy paintjob by someone out there trying to learn instead of farming it out. An ingenious use of what you have over what you can't afford. A person who loves the car for being what it is, over how much he spends on it. A love of doing, over a love of having it done. Old school rodding before everything was prefab available.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Driver50x, Marty S, weps and 3 others like this.
  26. I have no time for people who write checks for cars or motorcycles rather than doing it themselves. These types are easy to spot, start talking to them at a show or wherever their car is and ask them specific questions and they can’t answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

weps, WiredSpider, irishsteve and 2 others like this.
  27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Truckdoctor Andy: wrote the following,
    "I have no time for people who write checks for cars or motorcycles rather than doing it themselves"

Half the guy's I know are way to to old to even think about building a car in their garage for the next 5 years of more so does that mean they should never own the car of their dreams?

If you love building your own car that's fine but for the guy's who have spent their life working and saving their money they should be able to head over to Turkey Run or any other show and buy what they want.

When I look at Barrett Jackson and other auctions the guys doing the buying look to be north of 65 or 70 years old.
    Instead of spending 5 or 6 years building a car would rather buy one and drive it the very next day!

The fact that you have not time for these kind of people is your own problem!!!
    Many people have the exact same problem you have with your nose being set to high and they look down at anyone who has not built their own car.

Jimbo

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Those auctions that make people think that rusty car that has been sitting outside for the last 30 years is worth a fortune.

Gasser 57, weps and WiredSpider like this.
  29. It’s my opinion, I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi likes this.